A mut to deactivate the Shock Combo?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Originally posted by Nemephosis

Point 1: Oh please. a bug? :rolleyes:
Like I said, to get around a shock rifle user, use a Minigun. If you still doubt the shock rifle's power, maybe I can set up a 1v1 with a Shock Rifle fan for you.

Point 2. How do you know what will and won't be in the next Unreal game? If you have the pre-alpha, first, it's illegal, and second, they can always change it.....

:rolleyes:

#1 Not just the mini. Try 2dary plasma and get in close. That freaks everyone out. Hard to aim a combo when your being BZZZZZZZZZZZZ'd. Six rockets at his feet should move the little bugger too. 2dary Flak. Sniper from a distance. STICK AND MOVE (dodging has saved my butt from a fellow shocker more times than I can count). No weapon is perfect...no not even the damn deemer!

#2 I'd bet money there will be some type of similar weapon. Epic knows we (at least the majority) love it!! They won't let us down. It's so much more than just CLICK CLICK CLICK *killed someone* CLICK CLICK CLICK like so many other weapons. It actually requires you to...AIM, and THINK! Wow, how's that for a crappy weapon?
lol

I think many SHOCK-HO's can attest that taking a 'Deemer out with an ASMD combo is quite a satisfying feeling. HEHEHE

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
Point 2. How do you know what will and won't be in the next Unreal game? If you have the pre-alpha, first, it's illegal, and second, they can always change it.....
No, there won't be shock combos in Unreal2 and Unreal Warfare. Instead there will be more complex/new combos, some of which performed with different weapons ! :)

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Since this is a LAN, and connection issues will be all but nonexistent, I'd say that you either establish the rule beforehand that nobody uses shock combos, or just deal with it. When you don't have lag as a problem, one of the best ways of dealing with a shock-ho is to snipe 'em. Even if you don't get the headshot a hit with the rifle will throw off their aim.

By far the most fun way is to use a shock rifle yourself. Blast their balls(yeah! ;)) when they attempt to set up a combo. After a few combo-suicides, they'll try a different strategy.

You can deal effectively with shock-ho's with just about any weapon in the game. If nothing else, you can always use Flak. :p

Also, the ASMD was an important and well-liked weapon in Unreal1. It's one of the most popular weapons in the game among skilled players, so it's most likely that there'll be a similar weapon in U2.

- ]LoL[Wolfram

Kilham

Lost in RL
Oct 11, 2000
Scotland
clanrsu.com
Originally posted by Peregrine
I think many SHOCK-HO's can attest that taking a 'Deemer out with an ASMD combo is quite a satisfying feeling. HEHEHE
Ohhhhh yes :D Nothing better than bouncing the EFC into the lava on the edge of a combo then a few seconds later seeing a deemer flying towards you. Not for any strategic purpose, you know he's just out for revenge. Run around like a frightened rabbit till it's in range then *splat* combo it out of the air :D.

My advice if you don't like combos - stop chasing players round corners or running predictable routes. :)

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Originally posted by OBhave
.... shock-combo spamming and raping

Your opinions on shock-combos are your own & you're entitled to them, & if it's a LAN party your friends can just all agree not to combo.

But I STRONGLY object to your use of the word 'raping'.
It is NOT DAMN FUNNY. It is NOT COOL.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
yes, please watch that.... the only real (barely) acceptable use of that is "ping rape" so please I ask you be a bit more careful about that. :)

thanks

Assymilator

No idea what to put here.
Feb 18, 2001
It's Not Atlanta, GA
sorry assymilator, but things like that are not going to help OBhave see our point. Thanks. :)

edited by Nemephosis

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by Peregrine

#2 I'd bet money there will be some type of similar weapon. Epic knows we (at least the majority) love it!! They won't let us down. It's so much more than just CLICK CLICK CLICK *killed someone* CLICK CLICK CLICK like so many other weapons. It actually requires you to...AIM, and THINK! Wow, how's that for a crappy weapon?
lol

Even if there isn't an "official" Shock Rifle, someone is definitely going to make one, I can pretty much guarantee.

OBhave

Oct 25, 2001
Visit site
A few quotes:

"Also, the ASMD was an important and well-liked weapon in Unreal1. It's one of the most popular weapons in the game among skilled players, so it's most likely that there'll be a similar weapon in U2." Sorry but no. Epic has decided that they want more combat and less spamming... (a wise decision in my opinion)

"#2 I'd bet money there will be some type of similar weapon. Epic knows we (at least the majority) love it!! They won't let us down. It's so much more than just CLICK CLICK CLICK *killed someone* CLICK CLICK CLICK like so many other weapons. It actually requires you to...AIM, and THINK! Wow, how's that for a crappy weapon? "
lol" I´m sorry to break this to you but the shocker (as with all weapons in all other games) is also: CLICKCLICK *killed someone* =D

"Point 1: Oh please. a bug?" Yes, in my opinion it´s kind of a bug... and unfortunatly it´s a bug the players got addicted to (like with other games) and the dev´s couldn´t take it out... but they can NOT INCLUDE it in their next game... and voila! problem solved.

"As far as taking NO SKILL to combo, man ur outta' your head. It takes an immense amount of skill to be consistently good with it. Anyone can get a random kill here or there, but to use it a lot, and be accurate with it, and not get killed, and pulling off a MOVING combo. Brother, that's a lot harder than strafing back and forth across a corrider with a minigun, just mowing them down." Moving combo or not, the ball is still moving predictably. and of course YOUR movement is pretictable so the only real thing needed is some hand-eye coordination. "

"My advice if you don't like combos - stop chasing players round corners or running predictable routes. " STOP CHASING PLAYERS ROUND CORNERS?!?!?! you gotta be kidding me! =P

"ping rape" lol =D

"The combo is the best part of the game. Without it, the game would lack something fierce." I beg to differ... UT is loaded with L337 and c001 weapons, that are VERY fierce, if you use your head and use them in the appropriate situation.

also, man I´m sick of ppl telling me to practice more... I´ve been playing UT since it´s release and still think it´s an awesome game, although lacking balance in some fields. What pisses me off is how easy it is and how it steals the thunder from the other cool&fun weapons, breaks UT´s otherwise beautiful balance (other than that damn TL... that´s out too BTW). and the endless rape (for those who were offended, I am more referring to spamming, than general use of this weapon)

Well feck, since there´s no MUT to solve this (anyone wanna make me a mut just to get rid of me...? =P) I´m just gonna have to keep on scanning the web for servers with players who aren´t shock h0´s (that´s tiresome) or play instagib, that´s a lot of fun, but can become tiring, or just play other games until the release of U2 and UW (ooooo ya) =DDD (drooool)

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
well seeing as you still don't get the point of the Shock Rifle, I don't get the point of leaving this crapfest open for more insults.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.