Linkgun Primary

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should the Linkgun Primary be improved for UT2007?

• Total voters

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
Do I suck with the link gun or was its primary fire lacking in UT2004? I believe that it should have had minor splash damage and the projectile should have been a bit faster.

Last edited:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
The link gun is a very underrated weapon, I use it a lot though, the primary fire takes up 30 health each shot, so you can imagine how dangerous it is in the right hands. So is alternate fire.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
It's just range sensitive, it can be lethal at the right range.

If impoovement is to be made, other balancing options would be more damage, or higher RoF. Splash would counter it's other uses. I don't think that would be appropriate.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
I've been carved up by the secondary fire more times than I care to remember. Could never get the hang of it myself. Me, I use primary more and more effectively it seems :Pulse:

Dunno' if it should be changed though :confused:

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
The Link gun secondary is indeed unarguably effective and useful (even necessary in Onslaught ) and therefore should not be changed.

Originally posted by -AEnubis-
If impoovement is to be made, other balancing options would be more damage, or higher RoF. Splash would counter it's other uses. I don't think that would be appropriate.
The link gun's primary fire mode's damage should not be increased for it is powerful enough as is, and the amont of splash damage that I'm referring to is very very small, kind of like the splash damage of the plasma rifle of Pariah. A higher RoF would only be spam.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Why not linked? Because there are less shots to block the corridor with.

Radiosity said:
reducing the ammo use to 1 from 2 would be nice. Why epic even did that in the first place with 2K4 is a mystery.

Ever seen three people spam primary down a corridor at once? Now double the ammount of time before they run out of ammo. Not pleasant...

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I just don't think faster projectiles would be a good thing. I'd rather see it stay the same, but have a higher priority in projectile collision. Like if it ate hit-scan, detonated rockets, and set off flack bombs. So you could only stop it with Goo or shock. Goo should eat shock as well.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Still, IMO the link gun primary is too weak. On anything but very close range, it's too easy to avoid these things. At least alt fire has the lockdown...and the healing ability (about the only time I effectively USE the darn thing)

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
The projectiles from the link are too wide. In the original UT you avoid a lot of fire. Not so in UT2004.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Actually, I thought projectile speed, and RoF in UT made them harder to avoid. I was much more proficient with them at long ragne in UT then I am in 2kx. Player scaling has something to do with that I'm sure, but I think that will fix a lot of weapon issues in the upcoming sequel.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
I see no use for improvement, it`s a very powerfull weapon! The right combo between Primary and Alt Fire drives many rivals to the despair :D

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Cosmetic changes only for me.
Add an effect and death to the secondary that reminds of the aliens deathrays in War of the world.
A ray that tears through the player and then with a "pop" all that falls to the ground is some armor and clothes.(and powdery remains ;))

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
I personally find guaging the link primary a pain, i'm not good with it but i can frag with it. Just don't like it :)

I'd rather see something with a higher ROF and smaller projectiles with less damage done, like old.

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
IMO, link primary is only useful if your enemy isn't dodging very much, or spamming it down hallways (lol, got a monster kill with it in TrainingDay with 32 people)
:lol:

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
I just wish that mirrors, polish metal AND the shield could send back the primary shoots of the link gun .

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
I only use primary to spam in the general direction of a target and only if I have no other waepon. Secondary in ONS is super as it brings up team play.

I think it is best to leave it as it is.