Linkgun Primary

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should the Linkgun Primary be improved for UT2007?

• Total voters

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Arr. I say make the Link *look* more like its UT1 version (both in projectiles and actual model design) but play exactly the same, it's powerful and takes some skill to use but is dodgeable if you're aware enough- perfect.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I think the best way to frag with the Linkgun, is to shoot some projectiles at your opponent at semi-close range, and hold the opponent in place with the beam so the projectiles hit them.
Repeat as needed.
With the added beam damage... they are toast.

Primary sucks at medium to long range though, depending on how good you are with it, which is why I've contemplated a higher projectile speed to be an improvement over the current model (NOT a higher ROF, mind you).

However, there are other weapons suitable for that range, so no biggie.

I LOVE the link gun.
________
Bong

Last edited:

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Well, if youve been hit by a Secondary Linkgun you might have noticed that it got difficult to move if at all?
Basically thats lockdown.
The minigun used to have it too but im not sure its in UT2004.
If it is its nerfed alot.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
Originally Posted by JaFO
yes there is ... the projectiles look like ****
what the hell are you talkin' about, the gun and its projectiles look awesome but don't perform as well as they look. (they looked like **** in ut2003 but not ut2004, but they only look good if you have world detail on high- that's what effects special effects)

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Wowbagger said:
Well, if youve been hit by a Secondary Linkgun you might have noticed that it got difficult to move if at all?
Basically thats lockdown.
The minigun used to have it too but im not sure its in UT2004.
If it is its nerfed alot.
Oh ok thats what I kind of thought too, the other idea was the effect of the link gun secondary when you turn on autoaim LOL (if you dont know, it basically CURVES the link gun secondary beam and stays on the player(bot). I was like why is instant action/single-player so important.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
If UT2007 is more close-quartered like they say it's going to be, then this discussion has no bearing. Sure, the UT2004 link primary should either have faster projectiles or a faster rate of fire, but we don't even know how the next game will feel to know whether or not the link gun we have now needs to change to work in it.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
If UT2007 will be actually be more close-quartered (which I kind of doubt despite them saying so, because of modes like Conquest with a moving battlefront over SEVERAL maps) the link primary will have no need for improvement.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Linkgun: Not very attractive in DM (powerful though, and useful against snipers), but owns in teamgames. It should definitely stay as it is in UT2004! (With small unimportant changes to fit the new game better) :)
Speeding up the projectile would make it be even more similar to the Minigun (or that Stinger thing...)

Last edited:

scirmast

Oct 20, 2002
Finland
Visit site
Have you ever watched some demos of the best players duking it out in 1on1 DM? Have you ever seen them using the link gun? I have, ONCE. The link gun is far from perfect. I'd say it should both be faster and eat through other projectiles except Bio (excellent idea AEnubis). One problem is that the hitscan weapons are so much better in all kinds of situations, so it's very hard to actually get close. Maybe the Shield Gun should block the LG and shock completely (eating the shields energy at the same time)?

I am surprised that so many players are happy with the weapon.

E: Just a quick question: how much do we really have power to actually make Epic change something?

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
->Sachiel<- said:
what the hell are you talkin' about, the gun and its projectiles look awesome but don't perform as well as they look. ...
that's what I said ... they look like ****
those flying lights don't give a hint at the kind of damage they can cause
even the link-secondary doesn't 'feel' powerful, altough that's probably because of the rather wimpy sound-effect.

I wouldn't want to comment about damage/RoF etc. because UT2k7 will have different proportions and UT2kx had a set of weapons that was as balanced as they can ever be.

In fact I think most problems people have with weapons isn't their power per se, but the feedback (ie look & sound) of the weapons that makes them think they aren't as powerful as they ought to be. For example the 'classic' sniperrifle ... it doesn't shoot a bullet .. it farts one. Compare that to the flakcannon and it's obvious people underestimate (some) weapons purely because the aural/visual feedback doesn't match the actual damage/threat-level of the weapon.

scirmast said:
E: Just a quick question: how much do we really have power to actually make Epic change something?
That would be something like 0,00000000000000000001 % chance
ie : better luck at winning the lottery ;)
I'm sure they catch glimpses of our posts and ideas, but I am convinced that they can think of those things without our help. So the chance that any idea was implemented because they thought of it as well is a bit better.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by G.Lecter
Speeding up the projectile would make it be even more similar to the Minigun (or that Stinger thing...)
I don't think it would be anything like a minigun if they speed up the projectile (I've tried it. Get a mutator called weaponstuff, you can alter the stats of weapons to see how they perform. You could also run UDE and make new guns with slight changes [not a very good idea-takes too much time plus it requires minimal programming ability] ). The Linkgun has perfect aim unlike the minigun, even if sped up it won't be hitscan and it does SOOO much more damage than a minigun per sec if it hits. It won't look or act anything like a minigun.

Kingman3

Jul 19, 2005
I actually find the link primary MUCH more useful in UT2 than the pulse in UT99. Main reason was that in UT99, the projectiles, while faster and possessing a faster ROF, were smaller and extremely spammy (due to the circular firing pattern), making it very hard to hit anyone. I think I've gotten about 4 kills with pulse primary, while I get about 2-3 per match with link primary, since the projectiles are larger and the "spam window" is larger, meaning the shots are slower, ergo more shots coming at the opponent that he has to dodge.

That being said, I still used the pulse more than I use the link now, since they nerfed the secondary.

Swerto

The Founder Of The PL4Y4 H474Z
Jul 29, 2005
Link gun sucks the pulse gun was powerful enough now this is just too strong (4 primary hits and your dead with normal health)

Swerto

The Founder Of The PL4Y4 H474Z
Jul 29, 2005
I know but it links onto it's target now and when the primary moved fast and did less damage it was fine!!!

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
For the people who think that the Link Gun is aesthetically weak... YOU'RE CRAZY, the projectile looks AWESOME (the secondary could use work though)

For the people who think that the link gun is fine performance wise... how often do you see a person perform well with the link? How often do you see someone USING the link? Not very often. Now -AEnubis- is right, the gun is very good at certain ranges, but that's not good enough. The link Gun's specific range and situation requirement makes it very rarely used. I would like to see someone use a link while they have possession of a flak, that would be the day when link is truly balanced.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
See avatar. Link primary is one of my favourite weapons. I like it because it's satisfying to kill with, and people die surprisingly fast when you land a few consecutive hits. After a DM game most of my kills are with link and shock.
It's not so much about just "leading" your target, but also "predicting" where he will go which are different things. Leading is something you do when someone runs in a straight line, prediction is what you do when you assume someone is going after a powerup.

The only thing I don't get is why primary has to have such a short range. Shock can hitscan across the map, but epic decided "no wait! Link at long range is overpowered! Let's limit the range."
I wouldn't mind the projectiles being faster, but in all honesty I don't think they need to be. What I do hate is how friggen big the projectile graphics are. They obstruct your own view, and it feels less satisfying when hitting your target with huge fluffy clouds.

I think it's so underused because if people want hitscan they go with shock/LG, if they want continous fire/finisher they go with mini, and if they want splash they go rock/flak.

I feel secondary is a little underrated, as well. In TDM I consider it more of a utility than pure damage, and use it to lock down opponents while my teammates shoot them.

Edit cos my pizza wasn't done yet after all:

I don't think splash would be a good idea at all. It would completely change the way the weapon is used, from shooting it chest-height trying to score direct hits, to spamming it on the ground hoping for a little splash if you miss.
But that's just me, though.

JaFO said:
In fact I think most problems people have with weapons isn't their power per se, but the feedback (ie look & sound) of the weapons that makes them think they aren't as powerful as they ought to be. For example the 'classic' sniperrifle ... it doesn't shoot a bullet .. it farts one. Compare that to the flakcannon and it's obvious people underestimate (some) weapons purely because the aural/visual feedback doesn't match the actual damage/threat-level of the weapon.

Kinda like the hellbender shock ball and beam firing sound. Fiu. Fiu. Fiu. vom. vom. vom.

Anyone who remember the ut2k4 demo should also remember the different sounds they had for the vehicles back then. My favourite was the goliath's primary fire sound; "Bop."
When I first played the retail game I would fire the cannon randomly just because the new sound was so much nicer.

I wouldn't mind the link sounds changed, primary sounds like it's shooting a liquid and secondary sounds like my coffee machine.

Not unrealistic, but not likely, either. A lot of changes are most likely inspired from community feedback. I doubt you'll ever be able to influence them directly unless you have some sort of groundbreaking awesome idea they didn't think of already.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I wouldn't argue that it is hard to use, but I love it. Primary and all. I think two main things to keep in mind, is it's better as a blind side weapon, and spamming it is too predictable.

It's more precise at range where flak is good, but usually not as effective as flak, hence better used as a back stab weapon, but not to face of with an opponent capable of shoving flak down your throat.

Instead of just spamming it down hot hallways, or at sounds, or firing a stead stream at people, I find three shot bursts are excellent at keeping your target guessing, and not illustrating for him, where exactly you are aiming.