The Lord of the Rings movie

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What did you think of the movie?

• It was great!

Votes: 23 76.7%
  • It was long... a two bathroom break movie

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I'm in England

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

RedEye(Co30)

Sep 13, 2001
redeye.co30.com
Yeah but . . .

The Unreal 2 editor will probably be good enough for it

I'm sure it will, but U2 won't ship with dozens of races, magic, melee weapons, etc etc that make a massive roleplaying game.

I'm sure an unbelievably good class-based multiplayer LOTR mod could be done in U2 though. Orcs and bad humans vs good humans and Hobbits and Ents . . . O my! Mordor Assault anyone? :)

Frostblood

Strangely compelling...
Mar 18, 2001
Blighty
How about humans, elves, dwarfs + hobbits vs orcs, evil humans, trolls and demons? Mind you, who would be a hobbit when you could be a balrog?

Claw

Weird little hermit on dried frog pills
Nov 3, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Frostblood
How about humans, elves, dwarfs + hobbits vs orcs, evil humans, trolls and demons? Mind you, who would be a hobbit when you could be a balrog?

Darkmagic starts with just mages against mages, but we'll add a number of pawns, from elves over orcs to evil wraiths, and implement warrior player classes that will face magic & monsters with steel and an iron will, not to forget special abilities like the knight's ability to block all but the most powerful attacks with his shield and the shadow warriors poison darts...
And there may be some special characters to play with, not necessarily human.

tiny imps and terrifying balrogs will join the carnage following the black mages' summons while the dead will raise by the necromancers' will....

Good enough for ya?

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
I saw it last night with a couple of friends who are into fantasy games and books. It meant more to them than it did to me since they could relate to many more things, but I still enjoyed the movie.

I know this is just one of three movies, but I was disappointed that the ending didn’t give me more closure. I was left thinking that all should be well, but that didn’t seem like enough after sitting there for three freakin’ hours. I also wished there were more special effects with the wizards. When the two wizards were fighting, I wanted to see them throwing balls of fire at one another and maybe lightning bolts, as opposed to old Pat Stewart spinning around in a circle like a break dancer.

Nebel

Aloof
Apr 28, 2001
Around
I just got home from seeing this movie. It was the most God-awfully dragged-on movie ever. If it was like an hour and a half, then maybe I would have liked it, but God, I think they got a little carried away with this movie. Jeez.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Originally posted by Lord_Riff_Raff
Hey did you get to see the bloopers from the movie?

Orcs and so far from Auckland. (Sorry you've really got to live in New Zealand to get that one)

I don't get it....

I really liked this movie! ....most big budget hollywood acting just ****s me off... but this was actually quite convincing, although Gimli(sp?) was a bit off character imo, but that's just nit picky. Some of the sfx where the main characters were outside was a little bit dodgy (especially just after leaving the mines) ....why didn't they just film them running across it ? it's the real ****ing deal and they cg people running across what looks to be part of the Canterbury plains.....bah... I've been to raves in similar places, its not that hard, surely. Yeah.... and there are far more interesting forests around here than the ones shot in the first film.... maybe they will turn up later in the series.... me hopes

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Originally posted by Nebel
I just got home from seeing this movie. It was the most God-awfully dragged-on movie ever. If it was like an hour and a half, then maybe I would have liked it, but God, I think they got a little carried away with this movie. Jeez.

Jeez indeed Nebel.... .....jeez

Frostblood

Strangely compelling...
Mar 18, 2001
Blighty
as opposed to old Pat Stewart spinning around in a circle like a break dancer.

lol! The other special effects were excellent, especially the "shadow world" bits when he had the ring on, so why they decided that gandalfs best attack should be an invisible push i dont know

-kain-

lurker
Apr 3, 2001
England
I wonder who's got the rights to make a videogame based on LOTR?
Now the film's been released and it's a hit there is bound to be some high-budget game in the near future.

Skorch

Banned
Feb 5, 2000
Just saw it last night with the family...GREAT movie...the only problem I could see was it followed the books so closly that many people were grumbling about the ending while leaving the theatre...and releasing the next installments at a year apart apiece is not a good idea...they should go with a release this summer, and the finish next December...but the story and imagery follow the descriptive prose of Tolkein pretty damn well...I liked it.

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by Frostblood
as opposed to old Pat Stewart spinning around in a circle like a break dancer.

lol! The other special effects were excellent, especially the "shadow world" bits when he had the ring on, so why they decided that gandalfs best attack should be an invisible push i dont know

a fireball or two wouldnt have gone amiss but at least it all stayed pretty much true to the books.

oh, and nebel? if that isnt sarcasm then.... :stick:
fool. if they cut it to an hour and a half, it wouldnt be half the film it is.
it would be another shallow hollywood butchery job you small attention span person.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Originally posted by -kain-
I wonder who's got the rights to make a videogame based on LOTR?
Now the film's been released and it's a hit there is bound to be some high-budget game in the near future.

It would have to be of a very high quality to avoid tarnishing the movies image.... but then again look at Star wars :\