Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Galaxy Quest 9/10
Great, fun parody that shows great respect for what it's making fun of. It's just a joy to watch :). I wish more parodies were like this instead of these stupid "hey look, it's the iconic scene from that movie but with weed! ololol" movies that have been coming out in spades over the last couple of years.

Great movie, too bad it is censored a bit.

Hearing Sigourney say F that instead of Screw that would have been so much funnier during that crusher scene.

drakon

Introverted™
Jan 20, 2008
Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind - 8/10

Well , this was a surprising and unusual take on a bizzare love story involving a very serious (and excellent) Jim Carrey and a rather sexy/devil may care Kate Winslet.
The film won an oscar and a ton of other awards and nominations for good reason.
This film is over 6 years old but I'd never heard of it until a couple of days ago.
Very watchable.

Absolutely one of my favorites. Excellent performances by the entire cast, though Carey and Winslet stole the show.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
GI Joe: Rise of Cobra : 1/10

It was on netflix so I watched it on my 360. Basically it's slightly more bearable than Transformers, but still pretty retarded.

I guess Hasbro doesn't care anymore how their IP's are used in film. They just see the $$$ signs.

Also it seems that half of the cast of the Mummy Returns is in this flick too...looks like they really needed some cash if they signed up for this movie. :lol:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Donnie Darko - 6/10

Finishing a set of films I've been meaning to watch forever, is Donnie Darko, a movie that garnered cult status almost immediately upon release.
Hadn't heard anything about this film except for the fact that it seems to be up there with other Sci_Fi classics like Bladerunner & 12 monkeys but after seeing it, I find that a little optimistic.
Definately a film of it's time though with a corking soundtrack.

Donnie Darko is a mixed bag for me. I've never been a devotee myself, and personally I hate the cover of Tears for Fears' "Mad World" that appears at the end of the movie. I found the movie interesting the first time through, while the resolution was clearly dead set on being overly vague and kinda pretentious (especially if you watch the extended cut...ugh). Not bad though. I think it just suffers from "hey lets just have weird, curious moments with no real story."

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Die Fremde. A very strong movie, with an equally strong Sibel Kekilli leading it. It depicts how traditionalism turns a young woman's family against her, ruining both the life of her and her family. As a character puts it: "God has nothing to do with it." It's all in the forced holding on to an outdated heritage and the inability of most individuals to break out of it. We'll be hearing from this as the German submission for the Best Foreign Oscar, I believe. 9/10

Miller's Crossing. It's different from most gangster movies and profits from that. Beneath the story of loyalty and ethics, there are wonderful moments satirizing the genre and the Coen brothers' customary use of subtle hints and symbolism, as well as their dark humour. I might be alone in this, but I dearly love Gabriel Byrne, and here I felt he carried the main role and thus the film once again. The other actors (and the single actress) are doing very fine (or, as in the case of Albert Finney, more than that), but he truly outshines them all. 10/10

Batman Begins. Big and bouncy and predictable. A fun movie, with plenty of great action, but nothing more. It attempts to give Batman a somewhat believable background, and thus sets up the franchise that also brought the better and less clichéd "Dark Knight" and hopefully more titles in the future. 7/10

Stalag 17. Some of the humour won't work anymore, but a lot of it still does. There's the big laughs, the more subtle ones, the not-laughs, based on (at times very) dark humour and the sharp irony of the lead character, excellently cast with William Holden. And underneath it, there are the slowly fading smiles and the forced reassurances about a home the prisoners are far away from. If there's anything that's wrong with it, it's that the identity of the spy could have been revealed in a better way. 9/10

Murder On The Orient Express. What a cast. We're talking Albert Finney, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, Lauren Bacall, John Gielgud, Anthony Perkins, Vanessa Redgrave and many others here. Unfortunately it doesn't translate into a great movie: the characters are overdone in their uniqueness and the overly contrived plot leads to a morally questionable ending. There's some good humour in here, but also very long sequences showing nothing but a moving train that make you wonder just what Lumet was thinking. 6/10

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Jumpers 2/10

An object lesson in how to take an interesting little idea and ruin it.

When faced with a choice between "What's my motivation in this scene?" and "How big is the paycheck?", I'm afraid Samuel L. Jackson made the wrong choice.

Having set up the problem of how someone with the ability to teleport might survive, the script then completely ignores the question in favour of an empty extended chase involving a secret society that Dan Brown would proud of.

At least one of the points was awarded for the travelogue scenery.

It's hard to believe that they went to the effort of setting up a little twist in the tail so that they could do a sequel.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Donnie Darko is a mixed bag for me. I've never been a devotee myself, and personally I hate the cover of Tears for Fears' "Mad World" that appears at the end of the movie. I found the movie interesting the first time through, while the resolution was clearly dead set on being overly vague and kinda pretentious (especially if you watch the extended cut...ugh). Not bad though. I think it just suffers from "hey lets just have weird, curious moments with no real story."

You should see the sequel S. Darko.

It's more obvious, more stupid and more irrelevant "cool*" moments with lack of story.

*Which sadly fail to be very cool for the most part

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Good choice, it's a really ****ty movie.

Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) - 2/10

New Freddie looks awful, in a bad way. There are a few good looking effects but that's just about it. And the ending ends the same way as every other horror movie, I am not impressed.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
:eek: How could you hate it? It has so much more emotion than the upbeat original. And the music vid is impressive!

Taken on its own terms, I much prefer the original. The cover version lays it on far too thickly for my liking, whereas the Tears For Fears version provides all the emotion you need, with much more intricate music, desperation, surrealness, darkness and yet with a vibrant joy of life at the same time. It's a real classic.

And I think at any other point in the film, Tears For Fears' Mad World would have been a perfect fit - each of the above descriptors applies to Donnie Darko too. But for just that scene, it absolutely had to be the cover version, because it lifts the sequence from just closure to outright tear-jerkiness.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Tropic Thunder-8/10

I never get tired of watching this film. Even after multiple viewings it's still hilarious.

In my opinion this is probably Stiller's best film as a director, at least of his films that I have seen, and his and Black's best work on screen.

Robert Downey Jr. is brilliant. :lol:

alternative-tropic-thunder-poster.jpg

Last edited: