Unreal Evolution for UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I'd like it to look very similar to UT3 in how over the top it is personally.
Its an area where a lot of people are in disagreement though.

Some want a clean oldschool look, whilst I want to push the boundaries of the engine. To me making a carbon copy of the original is pointless, just go play the original! :p

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah I have to agree there, the original should be used as concept material going forward. The clean look might make it easier to knock up without issues but I personally think for a map like nyleve, looks is whats its about.

I mean, who can forget stepping out of the ship for the first time and just that sense of scale you get. The luscious foilage as you explore, the dirt all parted where the ship came to a sliding holt, the little nali village. Unreal certainly pushed the bounds, it wasnt purely bling but it was about an environment as a whole.

Personally I wouldnt mind seeing more ambient stuff, like flys, other bugs, etc, just to try and convey that lived in sense :cool:

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
The mine desighn is going to be quite easy to reccreate the only problem is the more complicated layouts seem to create alot more BSP holes from what I can gather. Who ever makes the maps has to watch alot for collison bugs.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
I know how to do it in max, I just export the mesh with the multi subobject material on there. Then in the editor you right click with the materials selected and theres a drop down on there which lets you put the materials in per channel... Lemme get a screeny of the right click for ya :cool:

MultiSubOQuad.jpg

Cheers

blender does it a bit differently but I figured it out. only took three hours :D
cheers again

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I'll make a start on Nyleve today or tomorrow. (i always read that as MyLevel :D)
You should read it as Evelyn (backwards). That's XceptOne's wife.
Making this project public at this stage isn't bound to gain anything either. The problem is that it needs structured support for the entire infrastructure of the project. If it doesn't have that, there is nothing for everyone else to do.
Time to remember some BU Wiki ideas:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Making_Mods/Despotism_Or_Communism
The mine desighn is going to be quite easy to reccreate the only problem is the more complicated layouts seem to create alot more BSP holes from what I can gather. Who ever makes the maps has to watch alot for collison bugs.
What BSP? We live in the 21st century, you should use Static Meshes instead.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Nice read, but I don't think it really applies here.

First, a mod likes this needs vision. I don't think that it can have that without limiting the study group in some way.

Second, a mod like this needs focus in design. If you let everyone submit anything, and anything can make it int the released product, it's bound to feel disjointed.

Last, I'm not suggesting that I or any other one person that is currently on the team is the sole person responsible for what is in/out. I've never felt that a single mod leader is a good idea, it invariably leads to either resentment or a lack of quality in various areas, as well as a loss of interest in accepting/covering new ideas.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008

First, a mod likes this needs vision. I don't think that it can have that without limiting the study group in some way.

Second, a mod like this needs focus in design. If you let everyone submit anything, and anything can make it int the released product, it's bound to feel disjointed.

Last, I'm not suggesting that I or any other one person that is currently on the team is the sole person responsible for what is in/out. I've never felt that a single mod leader is a good idea, it invariably leads to either resentment or a lack of quality in various areas, as well as a loss of interest in accepting/covering new ideas.

But what are you searching for exactly?
Do you have already on idea of the gameplays, possible character classes, etc?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Cheers

blender does it a bit differently but I figured it out. only took three hours :D
cheers again

No worries, yeah I dont know how to use blender. I have been looking into it recently especially with the announcement of this UI overhaul, something that I think alot of 3d packages are going to be in for in the near future. If blender gets it out of the way first they could really gain a foothold :eek:

I just assumed it was the same process of applying the objectID's to the poly surface then exporting to ASE :)

@brizz: I certainly see more clearly what you have in mind regarding team structure, it is an important thing to keep in mind but we shouldnt dwell also. That'll just take time away from actually getting things done, I do propose putting up recruitment post as often as possible to generate interest in certain parts of the remake without having to reallocate resources currently busy in other areas :cool:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Do you have already on idea of the gameplays, possible character classes, etc?

Well its gonna be Unreal.... So theres gonna be Skaarj, er Nali..... Um NaliRabbits!! ;)

From my point of view the mod is waiting on someone to grab it by the horns and organise who is working on what. We need a few concept artists to start giving an impression of a more current gen look to levels and art. On top of that we need more people with lots of time on there hands to work on things.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
Well I have the time I think but I need to know i'll be needed before I spend money on sometehing or I need to know what consept art will be needed. I would really like to help you guys out though.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
Thats if you have photoshop. Theres a current crack down on pirated stuff here so I cant get photoshop for a wile I do however have paintshop pro. The demo for crazybump is free but it comes with addware. the full program for non comertial use is about $99 and with the current state of the pound thats not pleaesnt.

The thing from that program as far as I can see is more expensive than crazybump. Again I need to know if the tool will be useful and if you dont have someone else turning flat high rez textures into normals before I spend money on a program to do it.

With consept art though I have enough supplies to last me a long wile I get my sketchpads in bulk now. I also do alot of craft work so I should be able to make up a few funky 3D things like the Nali arm bracelets. I'd also sudgest a sub forum here at BU for the mod development a wiki can be nice but I still like the forum idea mainly because I can set the site skin for this place and I cant set it to my likeing with a wiki so I might miss alot of stuff. I do however really want to contribute to this project.

One thing I'd like to know are we going with realistic looking muddy water or the greenyblue glowing water?

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania

Well, don't forget to read a few more pages there:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Mod_Authoring/Some_Advice_To_Start_With