Unreal Evolution for UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Certainly be using the originals for reference though no doubts about that, thats right isnt it? ;) I just feel that the poly saving techniques of old would only get in the way when trying to create a fresh model if using the original mesh and adding detail.

You gotta keep in mind when unreal was made, the 2k4 invasion models were ports from the originals, just think of the tools they were using back then compared to the tools we have today. As an eg, put some q2 meshes next to their q4 counterparts, artistic style and differences aside you can see the difference the tools are making to todays pipelines :p

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Any nice concept art anyone finds send it our way :) More the better!

Converting the unreal2 models would be plausible, they'd still need to be re-rigged, and then re-animated. (unless we used the standard UT3 animation sets)

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I think the skaarj would need a custom set especially since they use the melee in unreal much like they do in uc2. Ive heard blender can get the golem models though so that might be something to look into.

KulesKrall.jpg

There's a whole bunch of user made concept art like the one above at UnrealSP.Org.

Here's a link to the page.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I have seen one of the new creatures in dev.
you won't be disappointed
:)

Now this is what gets me excited. As already stated, i don't really care too much for remaking unreal, but if you're going to remake the unreal monsters..... The moddign possibilities become similar to those from way back in UT99.

And one of my favourite gametypes, invasion can return with ****ing high resolution monsters baby! EFF YEAH! It is something that i've wanted ever since 2004. Invasion was fun, but it looked crap cause of the low poly monsters.

And now you're updating the monsters. I can't wait.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I have seen one of the new creatures in dev.
you won't be disappointed
:)
That's cool, don't forget to feed us with screens/pics. ;)

I have only one wish, please keep them conceptually close to the original unreal creatures, the Skaarj in U2 were kinda soulless, in U1 they were interesting to watch, their behavior was typical and random at the same time, some were more aggressive others less.

Also visually keep it close to original.

My favourite aspect about unreal was that the creatures weren't just there to kill you, they really had their own business to do, you could take a Skaarj out from distance and his buddy sometimes gets to think the Krall near him was it and they begin a race war.
In Infiltration (playing Unreal SP) we had lots of random and hilarious situations, we rolled a grenade near a Titan and he got really pissed, but he had no idea we were the ones, nor did the Skaarj near him, so he begun to roar and smack them, one of the Skaarj saw us and begun to run after us not paying attention the Titan gave him a "rocky" present, I could really see his guts hitting one of my team mates right in the face... to awesome.
I must add that a custom monster multiplyer made for our INF Unreal game increases the random and unusual behavior of the unreal monsters, but Unreal still layed the ground for it, one of the best AI made for a game, maybe not the most intelligent, but the most entertaining.

chu::LOB::

Nov 22, 2004
Today I've decided to start organizing an Unreal remake for UT3 that I'm (tentatively) calling Unreal Evolution.

Start with a game that has people playing, and you'll reach a larger audience.

In most cases Mods tend to CANNIBALIZE and CONSOLIDATE playerbases* from games rather than add to the overall playerbase (e.g. TO to UT99 and TAM to UT2k4) perhaps you should consider starting with a game that has an existing playerbase?

*Counter Strike would seem to be "counter-example" to this hypothesis, but in fact still fits. It was released free to an already huge installed base of users (Half Life) and grew a life of it's own.

So if you're going to make release a mod to a large existing playerbase, why not start with a game that a lot of people own and play already (COD4, TF2, etc.)

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Start with a game that has people playing, and you'll reach a larger audience.

In most cases Mods tend to CANNIBALIZE and CONSOLIDATE playerbases* from games rather than add to the overall playerbase (e.g. TO to UT99 and TAM to UT2k4) perhaps you should consider starting with a game that has an existing playerbase?

*Counter Strike would seem to be "counter-example" to this hypothesis, but in fact still fits. It was released free to an already huge installed base of users (Half Life) and grew a life of it's own.

So if you're going to make release a mod to a large existing playerbase, why not start with a game that a lot of people own and play already (COD4, TF2, etc.)

Yeah dudes lets remake UNREAL on the source engine. :rolleyes:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Because 1) it is an Unreal game, I have ZERO legal issues developing it on an Unreal platform, and 2) Those other engines won't do it justice, and 3) I don't care if there is a playerbase to play it. I'm not doing it because I want a billion people to download and play it, and I wouldn't suspect anyone else on the team is. It's a nice tribute to Unreal and if done correctly will be of superb quality.

chu::LOB::

Nov 22, 2004
Yeah dudes lets remake UNREAL on the source engine. :rolleyes:

TF2 is a remake of QuakeWorld TF on the source engine...

...and while it only took 10 years to develop, the game enjoys a larger playerbase than either of it's predecessors (QWTF and TF on the GoldSrc engine).

Because 1) it is an Unreal game, I have ZERO legal issues developing it on an Unreal platform, and

Good point. So develop it on the UT2004 platform. Problem solved. Your potential playerbase increases in size because of the number of people who legally own UT2004.

2) Those other engines won't do it justice,

If by justice you mean looking worse than DOOM II at sub 30 framerates, I think you are misguided. There are still a lot more of "us" (UT series fans with laptops and non-dedicated gaming rigs) than there are of "them" (people who have decent rigs and own UT3).

and 3) I don't care if there is a playerbase to play it. I'm not doing it because I want a billion people to download and play it, and I wouldn't suspect anyone else on the team is. It's a nice tribute to Unreal and if done correctly will be of superb quality.

If you're only developing a game for a few hundred people, I fail to see the point. How much fun is CO-OP if there is no one there to play it with you?

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Good point. So develop it on the UT2004 platform. Problem solved. Your potential playerbase increases in size because of the number of people who legally own UT2004.
Why? I want it to look good, not like a floating turd. There are lots of features to the engine in UE3 that will make the game look much better than it ever could on UE2, no matter what "tricks" you used.
If by justice you mean looking worse than DOOM II at sub 30 framerates, I think you are misguided. There are still a lot more of "us" (UT series fans with laptops and non-dedicated gaming rigs) than there are of "them" (people who have decent rigs and own UT3).
Sorry, upgrade and get newer games, then. I don't have a responsibility to you to support your prehistoric gaming interests. I'm not going to remake Unreal for UT either, but the performance benefits and audience increase would be incredible, right? :p

I'm not misguided, but what you're saying amounts to "why don't you make games with a max resolution of 640x480? There are a lot more of 'us' (people with crappy monitors and computers) than 'them' (people with not crappy monitors and computers)".
If you're only developing a game for a few hundred people, I fail to see the point. How much fun is CO-OP if there is no one there to play it with you?
If you think only a few hundred people legally own UT3, I can draw two conclusions: 1) You don't follow UT very closely, and 2) you think even more people are pirates than EA does.