Unreal Evolution for UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I was under the impression that only worked on staticmesh's and not on brushes. Hey I could be wrong, might wanna checkit

Kaithofis

The Seldom Seen Kid
As Brizz said, loads of people want to help, just everyone with access to the sub forum is struggling for time. Whether it be with Work, Education or other projects.

So in other words we're really cutting ourselves short by keeping it a private team.

What I think this project needs are 2 things:
1) A re-organization where everyone is joined in a single, public team
2) A project lead with the time and capabilities to make that team and get things done

Personally I really like the idea of using a wiki. Since this is a project we are all opinionated on, it's important for everyone to have a say in things. If you'd make NyLeve and make it a carbon copy of the original, while I'd like it to be a new, re-interpreted version, then I'd be unhappy with the mod. But by hosting it publicly and making it possible for everyone to simply change it themselves, making it a public process rather than a private one (which is what's been happening so far), you'll get a result everyone can get behind.
I know BobTheBeheader likes the idea as well, and I believe we've done the majority of work that's been done so far. I guess what's missing the most is someone to step up, take the lead and set up a site, public forum etc and start get things going.

I appreciate you trying to start on NyLeve Firefly, but unless something fundamentally changes, it won't really help much.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Making this project public at this stage isn't bound to gain anything either. The problem is that it needs structured support for the entire infrastructure of the project. If it doesn't have that, there is nothing for everyone else to do.

Your second paragraph emphasizes why this is a bad idea: letting everyone have a say in how the mod progresses guarantees it will never get done. You'll never have people agree on what needs to/should be done, and the majority of work that does get done will be in the sparse areas where few people cares what happens.

I agree that making this project public at some point may be a good idea, it really depends. But no matter what happens, you've got to have a core group of people that have the final say on what happens with the mod, what gets worked on, and what makes it into the mod. The random people that contribute to public projects won't stick around and won't offer good content for the mod. And half of them will ragequit when you point that out to them.

I have plenty of time to handle the duties a Project Lead person needs to handle, I just don't have the time to do the testing/debugging necessary to actually code right now. As always, the projects I have that I am getting paid for trump the projects that I don't get paid for. And seeing as I am familiar with the programming side of thigns it is easy for me to review what may have been worked on in that area.

I am still of the opinion that not much needs to be done in the actual code behind the game. The really difficult thing with this mod always was and always will be the content, and unless people work on that part of things, the little bit of code that is necessary isn't going to matter one bit.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
What would really help is a webpage (preferably BU or why not Fireflys if he can make it) where people can log on and submit their content be it materials, sounds, machinimas or whatever.
All content should be "rateable" making it easier for the mappers and coders to get what they want.

This rating could be directly connected to the user (stars besides their names?) giving a direct feedback and morale boost for the content makers during what is most likely to be a very long process.

Basically a living and breathing content community.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Your second paragraph emphasizes why this is a bad idea: letting everyone have a say in how the mod progresses guarantees it will never get done.

You have the same problem with a private team, just in that scenario people will be more likely to leave since they might not have the support they need to put somethin through. Whos to say a core team could be right on whether something is better/worse etc? I say put it to the ones who are going to be playing them and find out what they want.

I can certainly see your point and I agree a core group of people should be put in place to keep the infrastructure intact and secure, what you dont want is people putting more time in management then is nessacary.

Its not like this mod is so original it needs to be kept out of the public eye, I mean a titan is a titan is a titan right? Theres no mystery to it. The gameplay is there and has been there so what makes it and doesnt will be purely subjective based on some level of quality people see in it. Nothing more!

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
Also others can help. If you need a hole load of textures woudnt it be best if someone maybe outside the team fiddles with a program and gets you a load of high rez normal mapped materials quick when thay can if the project leader cant?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I meant meshes not brushes, sorry

:)

I know how to do it in max, I just export the mesh with the multi subobject material on there. Then in the editor you right click with the materials selected and theres a drop down on there which lets you put the materials in per channel... Lemme get a screeny of the right click for ya :cool:

MultiSubOQuad.jpg

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You have the same problem with a private team, just in that scenario people will be more likely to leave since they might not have the support they need to put somethin through. Whos to say a core team could be right on whether something is better/worse etc? I say put it to the ones who are going to be playing them and find out what they want.

I can certainly see your point and I agree a core group of people should be put in place to keep the infrastructure intact and secure, what you dont want is people putting more time in management then is nessacary.

Its not like this mod is so original it needs to be kept out of the public eye, I mean a titan is a titan is a titan right? Theres no mystery to it. The gameplay is there and has been there so what makes it and doesnt will be purely subjective based on some level of quality people see in it. Nothing more!
Well, just look at the Black Mesa mod? It's the same kind of thing.

I agree that it doesn't need to be entirely kept out of the public eye, but frankly it is so polarized that no matter what you do you are going to get harsh criticism for taking any particular action. I think the issues with trying to have and run a publicly contributed to mod far outweigh the annoyances with having a single private team working on the project.

It's also not as if it's an exclusive group of people. So far a large majority of people have been accepted onto the mod team. I have taken this shotgun approach to hopefully find some people that will latch on to the mod, and the ones that don't end up doing anything or whatever will probably either just disappear or become some valuable testers.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Fair enough, will you force team members to not release source material? Personally I like to work under the sharealike non commercial license, GPL is nice if you plan on selling stuff though. So for instance, if any of the code I do for other projects where the source is released I got no problems with this mod using bits if not whole packages of it :cool: keep in mind I dont have the time to help solve every little bug that might pop up from incompatibilities but I will try if need be :cool:

I have no problems holding off on releasing source assets (for models in relation to this mod) but I would prefer to get them out there so people can reuse them. Ofcoarse people could just use the packaged versions but since this is looking to be a full scaled project both of the above would take some time to come to light.

I couldnt agree more on polarized views, its just the way things are going it would seem, its unfortunate but sometimes you gotta roll with the punches ;)

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
For the most part, the first priority is to get a working, functioning version of NyLeve's Falls going.
That's the word.

Forget about all plans at the moment, get practical by creating only one (1) level, the initial. It must not have monsters and all this, just one single high quality map.
As placeholders the original unreal creatures can be ported as it was done for monsterhunt in UT2004.

It can be a surprize how something little but practical can motivate people and fuse more interest than dozent of big plans.

Only NyLeve's Falls to play around with in co-op can be enought to get a little community going.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Sorry, I mean Invasion, but there is also a mod to play Unreal in UT2004, incl the monsters of course, so I bet it is doable to get the original unreal creatures in UT3.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Ummz, the code will be alot more difficult then creating a new mesh. You really dont want people waiting around on AI just to put a few meshes in there, not to mention theres still alot of animation work in there no matter which meshes you use.

Anyways, hardest part of the falls would be the space ship hey?

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
True true! The goal should defiantly be next gen (within reason), I really feel if done right the falls will have you picking moss off your boots :p