COD: MW2 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Oh no it might force "competetive gamers" to actually play the ****ing game and not make it Quake 3 with ****ing machine guns.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
The level of kicking against competitive gamers is astounding sometimes, probably as a result of the incessant whining a few of them filled this forum with during and after the UT2k4 era. Let it go peeps, some like to be pubheroes, others like clan play.

CoD4 promod did not have strafejumping or brightskins or picmip or any of that any more than vanilla CoD4 did. Any visibility tweaks are done in user configs and as such are still possible without promod. In fact, more so, because promod tends to block access to off-limits config options. But I agree that having less random tweaked spawn systems and off-limits perks are totally a bad thing for serious matches...

Please, enlighten me on the similarities between CoD4 Promod and Quake 3. I've played both, so I'd be happy to refute your claims.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
HAHAHAHA SLAYRDRAGON IZ FUNNY!!!!!!!

Wouldn't it be just simpler to step right at the door if you don't like what you read?

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Oh no it might force "competetive gamers" to actually play the ****ing game and not make it Quake 3 with ****ing machine guns.

I think you have it all backwards. Q3 could be very unfair due to individual modding of the game.
Also I don't want to be matched I want servers where I know admins keep it clean from hacks/abusers/idiots.

Sportaçus

Protecting the citizens of Lazytown.
Feb 17, 2009
I heard that IW said they might not put it for the PC unless that have too...
wat ever the hell that means

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
So in other news, for those not wanting to scroll through a million lines of 'consolification'; CoD4:MW will not have dedicated server support.

Enjoy your lack of multiplayer, guys - especially if you're not in the USA :|

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Please, enlighten me on the similarities between CoD4 Promod and Quake 3. I've played both, so I'd be happy to refute your claims.

Basically, I hate so-called "competitive" gamers that love these idiotic mods that boil the game down to using a specific weapon and specific perks. That's not playing Call of Duty 4 competitively, that's taking out everything you don't like because it makes the game more than just pointing your gun and shooting through walls. It was the same idea with the UT2004 "pro" mods with brightskins and whatever, it took the game and made it simpler and I don't see what is so cool about that. The thing that irritates me so much about it is then those mods become widespread because everyone wants to be seen as pro, and most servers are run by competitive clans.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
All that means though is that players get to play the game the way they want and no matter which way you try and turn that, it's a good thing.

Don't like the way people set up their server - join another (usually official servers running pure vanilla).
See that's actually another great thing about dedicated servers. After a while (or just from reading the server name) you know what servers to join and avoid.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Yeah, sure, but it doesn't make it any less stupid. There is also a lack of good servers anyway, which no system can solve.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I said this last night over TS. People started complaining the server browser was crap on a stick in CoD4. So Infinity Wards answer is to take it away, and now people are complaining they don't have a server browser. I just thought it was funny.

Fin

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Yah to one person pro mods are stupid to the other 1-shot-super-yoghurt-cannons-in-low-grav are stupid and to yet another nothing but strict vanilla gameplay is the only way to play :p
Either way, choice is good.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
So I just read about this and I'm appalled. Is Activision going to force all of their brands to Battle.net systems? If so, I'll avoid everything coming out of Activision (not that they've been making stellar games lately anyway...).

Whether or not this will make them more money doesn't matter. It is a power grab. Like Blizzard, they want ultimate, final control of the product that is played online. Blizzard is doing exactly the same thing with Starcraft 2. They do this with careless disregard for the needs of the consumers who pay their salaries, and it is utterly wrong.

I really don't see what makes this system necessary? What was the problem with CoD4, CoD2, CoD that made them think, "Hey, we should make a central server system for the PC version, too!" How many PC gamers CARE about matchmaking? I have a hunch that it's about one tenth of one percent.

I think this is appropriate:
[screenshot]http://i35.tinypic.com/qqphtg.jpg[/screenshot]

I fail to see the comparison between StarCraft II and this. Perhaps we are referring to the no lan thing, but I still think they are completely different things. Besides I'm pretty sure that they said that the lan latency would still be possible making the whole point mute, but I could be wrong. Couldn't seem to find the story again after searching...

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Basically, I hate so-called "competitive" gamers that love these idiotic mods that boil the game down to using a specific weapon and specific perks. That's not playing Call of Duty 4 competitively, that's taking out everything you don't like because it makes the game more than just pointing your gun and shooting through walls. It was the same idea with the UT2004 "pro" mods with brightskins and whatever, it took the game and made it simpler and I don't see what is so cool about that. The thing that irritates me so much about it is then those mods become widespread because everyone wants to be seen as pro, and most servers are run by competitive clans.

Elements that get removed are elements that add a random factor to the game.
Comp gamers are not interested in "LOLOLyoukilledmesoyougotkilledbymartyrdom" gameplay, because that's detrimental to the competition element of it. This is the reason why spawn systems are fixed, weapons are rebalanced (normal weapon balancing often doesn't take into account higher-than-average accuracy, which makes single shot guns >> spray guns, for example), etc, by promods.

Certain elements of a game just aren't fit for competition, because they are too random or luckbased, or easily exploitable. Random or luckbased in this context means that any faceoff between two players/teams would have to consist of countless matches to even out of the luck factor. This is impractical, annoying, un-fun and easily fixed. This has nothing to do with making every game into duckhunt.

The argument for brightskins has already been made on these boards countless times. Let's just say that arena shooters become very boring once you attain enough accuracy to be able to camp with railgun/sniper and not be detected before the other guy is dead.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I got my pre-order canceled finally. All it took was a few emails to get my "case" elevated in whatever system they're using.

@SlayerDragon: It's not just about mods. I don't care about mods and I agree with you about CoD4's "promod" being a joke played by self-righteous asshats.

But being unable to play custom maps or mods when I get the urge is dumb. More dumber is the fact that I can't choose where I play or who I play with and then everyone's connected to each other rather than through a stable server. One bad ping could f**k the game up for everyone.

I remember playing Rogue Spear online back in my 56k days and it was a nightmare. No dedicated servers meant there was a ton of pointless waiting to get a game going, and then everyone had to wait until everyone's sh*t-ass computer had loaded the map. It took ages and the connections were terrible -- like, "wait two seconds until I see the grenade I just threw" terrible.

Obviously things will have improved somewhat since then but the system is still a bad and useless idea when dedicated servers work so well.

Last edited:

Sportaçus

Protecting the citizens of Lazytown.
Feb 17, 2009
This is serious.

This is. I see that some COD4 servers are encoraging people to sign it. Please guys, us PC players are more experienced and play better than console players anyway. We need this signed to prove our superiority over console n00bs...