UT OpenGL commands?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
No clue. Not even sure if it's whitelisted by AnthChecker or not...

I'll try to dig up some info on it (much) later, as in "after I go to bed and wake up" later. :p

EDIT: Okay, found one thing, but I have no idea if it's useful or not: http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:kYdtCnXkw8QJ:www.0chan.ru/vg/res/10835.html+%22Unreal+Tournament%22+%22UTGLR%22+%223.5%22&cd=23&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

It's in Russian, and I know a few russians lurk here... maybe a little bit of translating, if they don't mind?

EDIT 2: Also this, which seems to indicate it runs happier with ATI cards: http://translate.google.com/transla...q=%22Unreal+Tournament%22+%22UTGLR35%22&hl=en

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Sounds like we may have to wait for Chris to get his new web site going and to mention the changes for V3.5. Right now, yes, it looks like some changes were made for UT to run better with OpenGL on ATI cards and there may be some UTPure and U4E bugs if you play online. Actually, I think I'll wait for that unless he wants to post the change log here.:)

Last edited:

medor

Mar 15, 2009
For ATI D3D9 whas better than opengl

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/Video_Renders/D3D9/utd3d9r11.zip

Add this in ur UT.ini and select it after

[D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice]
UseVSync=False
SwapInterval=0
ZRangeHack=False
NoAATiles=False
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
UseSoftwareVertexProcessing=False
UsePureDevice=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
MaskedTextureHack=False
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
FrameRateLimit=200
UseVertexProgram=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=True
DetailMax=0
RefreshRate=0
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
Use565Textures=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=False
UseTrilinear=False
UsePrecache=False
UsePalette=False
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.100000
LODBias=0.000000
DetailTextures=False
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=False
Coronas=False
ShinySurfaces=False
VolumetricLighting=False

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Just to avoid confusion, those are commands for the D3D9 section and NOT OpenGL (although most of the commands themselves are similar). This is a note to anyone not already familiar with this thread.:)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I made some slight changes to my INI file post above similar to Unreal changes, but the only thing changing from here on out will be AA and AF once I decide on the levels.:)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I decided to do the same for UT as I did for Unreal and change the AA/AF to 8X/16X for now until I do some detailed testing.:)

EDIT: just for the record, I decided not to do the detailed testing.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
UTGLR Version 3.6?

Anyone try this yet (released 11-16-09) and have any idea why a lot of the commands were removed in this version? I know a lot of them on Chris' page say "set internally now" but does that mean the game does it automatically or the drivers or what? Thank you.
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

"Changes in version 3.6:
- NoMaskedS3TC option removed. Always uses RGBA DXT1. This matches the only option for DXT1 in D3D.
- GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint extension support removed. Don't consider this one very useful anymore.
- A few 227 editor related updates that were general renderer code fixes.
- MaxLogUOverV and MaxLogVOverU config settings removed. These are set internally now.
- Larger default maximum allowed texture size in the not using S3TC config case.
- Potential NVIDIA driver bug workaround for the major graphics corruption after windowed / full screen switch issue. Suspect this may be fixed in newer drivers now, but was easy to add.
- RequestHighResolutionZ option removed. Modified code to attempt to get a 32-bit, 24-bit, or 16-bit z-buffer in that order.
- If first mipmap pointer set to NULL in SetTexture(), skip looking at others.
- AutoGenerateMipmaps and AlwaysMipmap options removed.
- UseDetailAlpha option removed and always enabled internally. A number of detail texture rendering paths depend on having this one enabled.
- BufferClippedActorTris option removed and functionality it controlled always enabled internally.
- A few other minor changes.
ZRangeHack will be enabled by default for UT if not already present in the ini file, but this one may still need to be watched a little more closely. There are a couple cases I know of where it has minor side effects. However, with most video cards these days only supporting 24-bit but not 32-bit z-buffers, or unless modified other parts of the game engine to draw decals a little further away, it is needed to avoid decal flickering in the distance in many common cases."

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Here's Chris' response at the OldUnreal forums:
"Mostly cleaning out a few old options with little to no reason to have configurable. Removing the AA filter hint / Quincunx option a bit different in that it was more a feature cut, but I've only had an increasing number of reasons to want to finally pull that one. The latest being a combination of wanted it gone before looking into supporting alpha to coverage for masked textures (in case might be any odd interactions between this and the post filter across any number of possibly different configurations for these features that NV may have implemented across various hardware), and vendor specific functionality tends to be more costly to support long term in general (and this method I see becoming increasingly obsolete as time passes).

If really want this one enabled I'd have to say just use application profiles through the control panel, which should still make it usable without too much add complication. I haven't kept detailed track of when NV has been dropping old card support in their drivers for things like GeForce 3 and 4, but I know they have per app profiles in their old control panel, so I'd expect it covers a fairly wide range of hardware and likely as far back as the first to support Quincunx.

So many other reasons I don't like Quincunx, but didn't care so much about leaving the option around until looking at other things dealing with subpixel samples like alpha to coverage and selective multisample disabling (post filter pulling in further away subpixel samples can interfere with this), where then more concerned that it might have the possibility to interact with other things in bad ways. Eventually I've been hoping less reason to resort to using a blur filter due to performance considerations now that newer hardware much faster in general along with other improvements more specifically related to multisample support. Don't like the edge blur behavior in many cases, but also have the issue of Quincunx causing general texture blur for interior not edge areas.

The NV multisample filter hint extension didn't really seem to go anywhere as far as other new feature support in this area goes, and unless running with fairly old hardware now, there may be better options such as hybrid supersample and CSAA that currently could only set through a control panel override as far as the renderer goes. Looks like the NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage extension added for CSAA for the OpenGL side, and ways to get to some of these through D3D, though seems to sometimes differ a bit across different versions of the API, and need to use odd hacks in some cases.

But when considering all the different ways to set the various special AA modes now across the different graphics APIs, and all the hardware that would need to have to be able to have test coverage across all of them, I start liking the idea of leaving everything except basic / standard multisample to application profiles a lot more."

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Latest OpenGL 3.6 works without any issues under Win7 x64 so thumbs up.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=4
UseAA=True
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=False
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=62
SwapInterval=0
UseFragmentProgram=True
UseVertexProgram=True
UseCVA=True
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=False
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=True
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=2
RefreshRate=75
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
UseTNT=False
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=True
UseAlphaPalette=True
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
ShareLists=False
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=False
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=-0.500000
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=ATI_GPU
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=True
ShinySurfaces=True
VolumetricLighting=True

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I spent so much time tweaking my latest UT install with all the OpenGL commands with version 3.5 that I'll just run 3.5 for a while longer before I switch. I'm sure it will run fine with WinXP SP2 32-bit though.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I think I'll just wait until I get a new system with new hardware and install UT again before switching to V3.6. Anyone know when OpenGL version 3.6 will be upgraded to the most stable version of UTGLR?:)

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
No idea, it's been a while since update. For me v3.6 has been absolutely hassle-free so I'd treat it as stable. Best way is to ask from Chris Dohnal himself.

lactantius

Mar 4, 2010
Well i have opengl renderer 3,4 installed and all works fine for me.
I have windows 7 x 64 installed ultimate edition.
Ut version ut goty edition with s3tc instaled.
Mine computer intel quadcore q8300 4 gb mem nvidia 1024 mb video ram type:nvidia 120gt vidcard.
Ut99 runs perfect on this computer.
I didn't know there are some ''hidden'' settings in ut 99 ,wich are not installed in the finall original version.
Or at least in the ut 99 goty edition.
But indeed just like u guys said ut 99 is an older game the framerates are very high.
The machines where ut 99 runs on are machines who has atleast 1 gb of ram installed.
Computers with at least more then 1 core.
I,m pretty much amazed that ut 99 runs on these ''modern'' computers.
Even unreal gold runs just fine.
Just be happy that this game runs very good on these new computers.
I mean the game is more then 10 years old. lol.
I think the reason that the game runs still good has something todo with the engine.
Ofcourse this engine is one of the best made programs ever.

Last edited:

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
SkaarjMaster,

Anyone try this yet (released 11-16-09) and have any idea why a lot of the commands were removed in this version? I know a lot of them on Chris' page say "set internally now" but does that mean the game does it automatically or the drivers or what? Thank you.
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

I downloaded and installed the above referenced 3.6 driver yesterday (5/20/2010). I'm having no issues after testing it quite a bit.

However, I have a question for you or for anyone who cares to respond. That download is a very small file, and not really a driver. It's a .dll. So what does that file actually do? Where is the driver?

I'm using an ATI Radeon 4650 PCIe graphics card with 1GB of RAM, together with a recent edition of the ATI Catalyst drivers.

Freddie

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
It's not a driver - it's an graphics renderer DLL (dynamic link libary). OpenGL support is provided by your ATI Catalyst graphics driver set.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Raynor.Z,

Ahh, thanks for that explanation. So, the .dll simply informs the ATI OpenGL driver which specific settings to use when running the game. It all makes more sense now.

Those .dlls are so clever.

Freddie