Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
IronMonkey- I think you missed the point with Source Code (badly).

He doesn't do the impossible. What has happened, happened. Instead he beat the simulation and got him and the woman he'd fallen for off the train, and continues living the simulation, outside of the loop. This is why they don't shut him off at the end and kill him, but rather let him dream. He didn't just earn his peace; he got a life back he otherwise never would have lived.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
IronMonkey- I think you missed the point with Source Code (badly).

Would it surprise you that I don't agree? :)

The problem with your interpretation is the matter of

The text message. The only way that can work is if the entire film is part of some simulation.

As far as I could see, Capt. Goodwin did shut off the life support.

In any event, if your interpretation is different and you enjoyed the film as a result then all is good.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
The Counselor - 5/10

It had it's good parts (esp the very beginning) and funny parts and kinda cool parts and token unbelieveable sex scene, but it was a little too reality-violent for me, if that makes any sense. That's all I can say at this point as this movie is one of those that actually puts you in sort of a shock after you see it (like "Seven" and "8-ball"....whatever the name of that movie with Nicolas Cage is called anyway). I'm all for violence, but....:(

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Gravity 3D - 7.5/10

First of all, f*ck 3D movies. I'm done with them. My eyes were killing me during this film. Dunno why, but they were.

Good movie though. Perhaps not as spectacular as some make it out to be.

They killed off George Clooney way too soon. I feel like he was in it for 10 minutes. They didn't even show him make an attempt to climb up the rope during his death scene.

It was a bit ridiculous that there's like a million projectiles that completely destroy ISS but convieniently miss Sandra Bullock. I mean, really?

Really cool otherwise though. I'd like to see the behind the scenes making of this.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Gravity - 8/10

Probably the only movie where I felt that 3D was worth the extra money spent on the ticket. After seeing the trailers for this one a few months ago I felt like it would be a real drag. However with a runtime of only 91 minutes it's not boring, it did however feel closer to 120 minutes but that's alright.

Clooney is alright as usual and Sandra Bullock is good. The story/plot is nothing special but pretty good. Visuals are crazy good at times, especially the Aurora borealis or whatever it's called, green shimmering light effect anyway.

See this in 3D @ a decent cinema or miss out on one of the greatest movie experiences ever.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
3D movies;) Haven't seen one in a while, but not because I didn't want to and not because of my eyes and not because of the movies. Anyway, I hope to see another one soon though. Last one I saw was Transformers: DOTM and my eyes felt weird after, but it was definitely worth it. The only thing I can suggest is pick and choose the 3D movies you see and your eyes will thank you.:)

Thrallala

May 11, 2008
Thor: The Dark World - 7.5/10
Real solid entertainment. The cast is fine, the story is simple but works. Villain is half decent at least. The post-credits scenes were crap though, especially the 2nd one which should have been the ending to the movie or not included at all. Had to sit through the entire wall of text that is credits for that scene.

Chris Hemsworth does well, he definitely has the looks for Thor and he's definitely not a bad actor, see him in Rush for more proof.

Best part of the movie was the jokes, I laughed pretty damn hard at some of them :p

I'm sure everyone will love Loki in this one, personally I think he's a bit tedious.

(slightly better than the 1st one, if you liked that one I'm sure you'll like this one aswell).

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Thor: The Dark World - 7.5/10
Real solid entertainment. The cast is fine, the story is simple but works. Villain is half decent at least. The post-credits scenes were crap though, especially the 2nd one which should have been the ending to the movie or not included at all. Had to sit through the entire wall of text that is credits for that scene.

Chris Hemsworth does well, he definitely has the looks for Thor and he's definitely not a bad actor, see him in Rush for more proof.

Best part of the movie was the jokes, I laughed pretty damn hard at some of them :p

I'm sure everyone will love Loki in this one, personally I think he's a bit tedious.

(slightly better than the 1st one, if you liked that one I'm sure you'll like this one aswell).
I agree with about everything you said.

Thor: The Dark World (3D)- 7/10

I missed the second post-credit scene so I have no idea what was in that. The first one seemed cheap and cheesy anyway.

Yes; Hemsworth does the job but I think there was a lot of over-acting from most of the other cast members (including Hopkins who, at other times, just looked like he didn't want to be there). There was no need to play it that way as all the drama (and jokes) carried anyway.

Also the 3D in the film was underused and lousy....

...........overall it was good Thior entertainment.

Last edited:
3D movies;) Haven't seen one in a while, but not because I didn't want to and not because of my eyes and not because of the movies. Anyway, I hope to see another one soon though. Last one I saw was Transformers: DOTM and my eyes felt weird after, but it was definitely worth it. The only thing I can suggest is pick and choose the 3D movies you see and your eyes will thank you.:)

Picking a movie that was filmed in 3D helps. Stop seeing movies that were filmed regularly, and then had a 3D filter added on in Adobe AfterEffects.

Thrallala

May 11, 2008
The World's End - 5/10

A huge letdown, it starts promising but then it goes boo boo. It has some qualities, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are pretty great but the rest of the movie isn't very.

The story gets quite uninteresting and messy as the plot unfolds. I'm not gonna spoil anything but I will say that it is nowhere near as entertaining or funny as Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead.

(World's End is the third and final movie of the trilogy).

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
A Perfect Murder-6/10

A remake of Alfred Hitchcock's Dial M for Murder (a movie I haven't seen in so long I can't remember the plot of anyway). It has some interesting thriller moments and twists.

The acting generally is pretty good, even from Michael Douglas who I am not really a big fan of. Gwyneth Paltrow remains a serious babe......... :)

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Captain America: The First Avenger-9/10

One of the best Marvel Studios films (so far) and a great origin story. Really well directed.

I've seen it a number of times and I haven't tired of it at all.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Ender's Game 6/10

I suspect my dissatisfaction with this film stems in part from the compression required in going from novel to screen (I have not read the book).

The human civilisation depicted in the film seems to go from F22 to interstellar travel and terraforming within 50 years and I struggled to engage in the face of that and other implausibilities. The good news is that in the future teenagers do not suffer from spots.

The plot for the most part is a standard young adult discovering his or her heroic status, finding friends and defeating bullies. It is not particularly engaging but is routinely adequate. In some ways it is a long slog for the emotional pay-off late in the film (which does rise above the routine and is significant).

Visually, the film is something of a feast, with great space battles and interesting environments.

The end result is worth the entry money but I'll skip on the DVD.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Ender's Game 6/10

I suspect my dissatisfaction with this film stems in part from the compression required in going from novel to screen (I have not read the book).

The human civilisation depicted in the film seems to go from F22 to interstellar travel and terraforming within 50 years and I struggled to engage in the face of that and other implausibilities. The good news is that in the future teenagers do not suffer from spots.

The plot for the most part is a standard young adult discovering his or her heroic status, finding friends and defeating bullies. It is not particularly engaging but is routinely adequate. In some ways it is a long slog for the emotional pay-off late in the film (which does rise above the routine and is significant).

Visually, the film is something of a feast, with great space battles and interesting environments.

The end result is worth the entry money but I'll skip on the DVD.

Having read the series and seen the movie, I would say only see the movie if you have read the book for the novelty of seeing it.

I would highly recommend the book to anyone interested in Sci-fi. It is my personal favorite Sci-fi book. The movie touches on some of the themes but does not get too deep into actual conflicts.

Also, the tech in the book is a lot more reasonable and realistic. Explanations are given for how certain things developed, and but they do not go from "(+/-)10 years to (+/-)200 years in a single lifespan. Things in the movie had to be shortened to fit within the time budget.

In the book, there were actually two invasions, and during the second one Mazar Rackham was demoted to commanding a small fleet near Saturn because he had problems with the high command. He destroyed the Formic mother-ship after the rest of the human fleet is defeated, but it was a spaceship battle near Saturn, not a fighter jet battle on earth

The pacing of the movie is also off because they try cram every major scene into it but skip out on the subtler dialogue that occurs to shape the protagonist's psyche.

In the book, Ender also had gotten stressed to the point that he and multiple other children were having mental breakdowns. Ender blew up the alien planet as a "fuck you" to Mazer and Graff, hoping they would deem him too violent and unworthy off commanding the fleet. THEN it gets revealed that it was not a simulation. In the movie it is much less subtle and almost implied to the audience that it is not a simulation.

In the end, I guess the movie did not fall into any holes or do anything so retarded it ruined the message, but it did not climb to any new heights and tried to hard to cater to a young adult audience. It probably would have done better as a two or three part movie, or a short TV series.