The Debate Spin

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
I think both candidates did a great job. I expected mcCain to do far worse, but I'll admit I agreed with Obama's view more. I think Obama handled himself quite well for someone who allegedly "doesn't get it", and I can't wait for another debate because you get a better "feel" for the candidates compared to the stupid tv ads being run.

How do you folks think Palin is going to d vs Biden?

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Although each candidate may have had an ever so slight upper hand in individual topics, there was no clear winner last night. I thought that overall, Obama did a good job at presenting himself and his policies, but McCain held his own for the most part. What rather bothered me the most here was that Lehrer couldn't keep the two gents reined in on the time control and he appeared to be struggling with it. Lehrer also rightfully struggled with trying to get both candidates to provide insight into how the economic crisis we are facing today will affect their administrations' policies. How many different ways can you ask the same basic question? Seems like the boys were attempting to get Lehrer to break that record.

Although McCain appeared to be the slightly weaker opponent, Obama stated on every major topic that McCain is correct. If I HAD to pick a winner, I would say it was Obama, but only by the slightest of margins.

EDIT:/ Probably one other minor issue that bothered me was Obama constantly referring to the senior Senator as "John". In my opinion, Obama may have been doing this to show uninformed swing voters that he can reach across the aisle and has in fact worked with McCain (which is a misleading idea). It also infers that they have a close relationship, which is untrue. At the very least, since they were operating in an official capacity, it should been incumbent upon both Senators to respect their professional titles, but the junior Senator from Illinois clearly did not. He either did it out of disrespect or was playing the elitist model.

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Obama said McCain adviser Henry Kissinger backs talks with Iran “without preconditions,” but McCain disputed that. In fact, Kissinger did recently call for “high level” talks with Iran starting at the secretary of state level and said, “I do not believe that we can make conditions.” After the debate the McCain campaign issued a statement quoting Kissinger as saying he didn’t favor presidential talks with Iran.

wow, what blatant bs... McCain very clearly said that the “without preconditions" was in reference to the president. weak....

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I think that both candidates acquitted themselves well, but McCain had the unfortunate handicap of being patently wrong on nearly every issue.

Basically this.

McCain tried to pull that "I won't acknowledge your presence on this stage because I'm the only Cmdr in Chief up here" thing and not look at Obama during accusations.

All this did was make it look as though Barack were talking down to a child who knew what he had done wrong and couldn't bare to look him in the face.

McCain never said a single thing to pull independents or secure any votes he wasn't getting. Obama heavily appealed to the undecided and has gained ground from this debate. It will only get better for him once Palin opens her cute little mouth in front of millions while Biden guts her.

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I don't think it was so much that Obama heavily appealed to undecided. I don't think it's really about policy either. Many people are afraid to vote for Obama, and simply seeing him hold his own in a debate was enough to quell some of those fears. McCain on the other hand had the chance to take a stand on the financial crisis, and failed to do so. He needed another crazy move to back up suspending his campaign, and he failed to deliver. Unless he does something big between now and Monday, it's going to be really hard for him to win.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
^ The first one, or the one that's coming soon? ;)

(I've already stocked up on canned goods and shotgun shells :D )

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
My favorite part was at the end of the debate when Michelle Obama rocked that body up onstage. Mmmhmm. :mwink:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
editorial_20080818_colora71.jpg

This reminds of when he was on Letterman(or Leno not sure). He asked McCain how many houses he owned. Good ole McCain came back with the "I was a prisoner at Hanoi, I didnt own a house let alone a kitchen table blah blah blha. Uhh no old man, the question was how many houses you owned, not about your time spent in a hell hole. Seriously I hope he doesnt bring this **** up during future debates.

_Zd_Phoenix_

Queen of BuFdom
May 1, 2001
Over the street. With binoculars.
Visit site
What really bugged me was McCain's hunching over his podium and refusing to look at Obama. A lot of pundits have been saying he was meant to look as though he didn't need to engage with Obama, but I thought it made him look really rude and grouchy, I almost expected him to start quietly mwa ha ha ha-ing to himself before sodding off to live under a bridge and trouble passing goats.

He'll probably be able to take the goats though, apparently he was in 'Nam.
you obama cheerleaders just can't handle the fact that McCain's actually done something for our country
You're not Sarah Palin are you? I mean, I do wonder what she does whilst avoiding the press :p
The Kissinger thing however, I feel was a big gaff for Obama.
If you look on factcheck.org for the quote that kissenger gave, Obama had a right to suggest that McCain's own advisers were leaning in that direction in that case, so not really a gaffe.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
you obama cheerleaders just can't handle the fact that McCain's actually done something for our country.

I just can't handle the fact that you McCainer's who buy that pandering crap are so brainwashed by it already.

He used to do things for our country earlier in his Senate career, speaking his mind and such regardless of partisan boundary.
In reality, as of late he's realized the need for conformity if he ever wants to become president as a Republican and fallen completely into their archetype. His voting record is narrowly aligned with the current administration which has contributed to the problems facing our country at home and abroad.

You know, if he really believed in "Country first" he never would have picked such a vastly under qualified individual for the bottom half of that ticket. That was a callous, careless decision straight out of a desperate GOP playbook. Same as with the bogus parachuting into Congress charade, as though he had some hand in moving along the negotiations. He arrived late and contributed nothing, influenced no one.

His judgement as an executive aren't boding well thusfar.

Last edited:

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Basically this.

I was (mostly) joking. I think they both did well. I'd call it a toss up. Problem with that though is that McCain should have won because "National Security" is supposedly his strong suit. Also, because of recent polling data, he desperately needed to dominate the debate to have a chance of swinging the polls back his way. So it that regard is was a win for Obama.

Believe or not, I like McCain. Had he picked a reasonably competent VP, I really wasn't too concerned with who won the election. Not any more. No way can we let that vapid "G-Dub in Lipstick" hack get anywhere near the Big Chair.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Lizard of Oz said:
G-Dub in Lipstick"
----------------------------------
Bush: Listen up!
Bush: G-dub in da house.
Bush: MASON (George Mason appears)

This is your 1776 watcha-ma-call it (Bill of Rights)

Condi: You get an R

Bush: You know what we are gonna do know?

Mason: No

Bush: Un-pimp you la-aws!

*Click*
*RIP* (Bill of Rights is ripped apart and the patriot act appears in its place)

Bush: WE JUST PASSED IT LIKE ITS HOT
Bush: G-DUB. Representing GOP ya!
-----------------------------------
(A play on the VW commercials)(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDYEMV8MgaI)

Last edited: