3Dbuzz top 10 finalist so far

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Oh god, what if Hyraxis were entered? It's absolutely scary how many people would complain that they fall too often. Anywho, I plan on entering something into the next phase of MSUC. Yes, that's right, I said it.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
That doesn't matter. The map sucks, get over it.
So do you have any documentation, tricks or else that could help me?
The only goal I have is too make fun map for the Unreal community even with a matter of preferences, I'll try to understand what they are. ;)

Trust me, preferences here and on other forums are completely different, because usual UT players do rush like beast and do more care about killing than staying alive, but other type of players cares more about their life than their kills.

In my opinion, I would give more respect to the rusher with his snipe than the sniper camping with a tent, fire and mushmallows LOLL.

But just saying the map sucks doesn't help.
So the conclusion would be to make large alley maps like Marauder and Gutter, right?

Oh and for the MSUC thing... it wasn't about a new map, but a game.
We will see if we can get our Dev Team members quick enough to achieve the Multiplayer Prototype in time for 2009.

I'll probably ask the best mappers around here to help us later because it will be a very nice competitive TC mod.

Last edited:

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
I'll probably ask the best mappers around here to help us later because it will be a very nice competitive TC mod.

If you go around telling some of these "best mappers" that 5 year olds can do their jobs, i really doubt you'll get any help from them;)

Zer0

Jan 19, 2008
... Trust me, preferences here and on other forums are completely different, because usual UT players do rush like beast and do more care about killing than staying alive, but other type of players cares more about their life than their kills. ...

Map control is more important than simply getting kills.
Timing the Belt, Keg, and Amp, is key in competitive play.
And most of your kills will come from fighting people on the way to these powerups.

Chances are, if you rush, you will die.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Map control is more important than simply getting kills.
Timing the Belt, Keg, and Amp, is key in competitive play.
And most of your kills will come from fighting people on the way to these powerups.

Chances are, if you rush, you will die.
Then it's exactly like Halo, except that UT3 got a stronger balance with the gunplay. Bye bye Halo :lol: ...

What about the environment?

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
No, it is not like halo, (though some halo environments may infact work well in UT3). Just because a game has powerup oriented gameplay does not mean it is like another game that has powerup oriented gameplay. I play Halo slow and tactically, crouched and camping mostly, and waiting to see how my enemy reacts. I play UT3 (though I'm not very good at it) running and gunning full speed with some dodging thrown in and my running is typically directed towards a particular power up or towards the center of combat. Big difference.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
I wonder what Angelheart would say about this conversation that is going on in this thread?

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Do we agree that an obstacle here is appropriated?
obstacle7lf2.jpg

The area is large enough to implement a proper obstacles to improve the gameflow instead of decreasing it.
Yes here they're appropriate, but the thing is that you state that on the section of the Maradeur that takes just 1/4th if not 1/5th of that walkable area of DM-Heatray shown on the screen above, still must have obstacles. This area is too small to have obstacles, unlike the one shown above.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Dude go play Halo MLG style and it's exactly like:
Timing the weapons, the overshield, and all the stuff... it is key in competitive play.

Fortunately, UT3 has more interesting character movements.

------------
Lynx, I agree, but you could add stuff on the edge in many areas or thin walls, but only doing that in one area could add style, but wouln't make sense if the other areas aren't retouched so... The map is fine with his actual style.

How many of us are on the next contest?

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
So do you have any documentation, tricks or else that could help me?
The only goal I have is too make fun map for the Unreal community even with a matter of preferences, I'll try to understand what they are. ;)

Trust me, preferences here and on other forums are completely different, because usual UT players do rush like beast and do more care about killing than staying alive, but other type of players cares more about their life than their kills.

In my opinion, I would give more respect to the rusher with his snipe than the sniper camping with a tent, fire and mushmallows LOLL.

But just saying the map sucks doesn't help.
So the conclusion would be to make large alley maps like Marauder and Gutter, right?

No, the conclusion would be to study the way the game is played (and won) by good players... if you are going to purport to make a level designed for standard gametypes. If you're going to make a level for people who don't know or care how to play the game competitively, then go crazy and make anything you like.

It's not about preference, but rather about understanding the rules of the game of deathmatch and TDM. In deathmatch, you simply have to get a higher number of kills, so being aggressive is fine if you know you have the upper hand, which is accomplished by controlling the map. TDM is all about not dying since your net is what gains your team points. There are different concerns at play there. People that are very good at the game are going to be able to control your map because most of the powerups are in a single location. Everyone else is going to be stuck respawning in a maze of tiny corridors.

A good competitive deathmatch level will feature proper weapon placement, giving each spawning player a chance to get a weapon within the first few seconds. You want to give each player or team an equal chance to get one of the better weapons. Depending on the map layout that's usually Rocket/Flak or Sniper/Shock. You also want to place powerups at risky locations and they should be spread out far enough so that the player(s) with the upper hand will have to work hard to control them.

Use key weapons and powerups as well as health to draw players throughout a level. Dead ends do not promote flow. Doors (particularly those disguised as non-opening doors) do not promote flow.

You have to understand the space players need to move in a level. Remember, the dodge jump gives you a lot more lateral movement than most first person shooters. The action in UT3 is also very fast and getting caught on decoration while trying to avoid fire is utterly annoying.

I'm not even going to get into sightlines, z-axis, and lighting because I am not writing a book. Those are just a few insights and you're welcome to take them or leave them. I guess that depends on the type of level you want to make.

You mentioned Gutter and Marauder. Gutter is slightly overscaled in a few spots and may have some longer sight lines in places. Marauder is just about spot-on in scaling. Marauder is not devoid of decoration, it's just not in the play area. You call them alley maps... everyone else calls them playable.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I think agreement would be more accurate.

Again though Hyrage, halo doesn't have the same gameplay.

Yeah nice notebook Hal ;)

In TDM yes, in DM absolutely not.
DM is gay in Halo and not based on individual kills because you must play as an observer to steal everykills.

In TDM on MLG settings it plays mostly like UT3 except for the wall-dodge, dodge and double-jump. Other than that it is tha same thing and in both games you can control the Respawn points. You must control everything in the map in both games and watch your clock carefully to get the weapons in time.

If you talk about the weapon system for both games, hell yeah you are totally right, UT3 is way better.

Last edited:

Mclogenog

You say the only difference is the inability to wall jump or double jump. Really you aren't looking deeply enough. Something as simple as the movement speed, the damage to time it takes to recieve said damage ratio is different, every weapon completely alters the game. The ability to zoom in with several guns, melee only weapons, inability to hammer jump, degree of z-axis, level design intended for multiple gametypes, the health recharge system, the inability to pick up armor or health packs, the option of completely altering the game rules beforehand, melee combat with every weapon, vehicles in DM and TDM. How can you say that the games are the same, or are played the same? They are different games, they are differentl play styles, and it is unreasonable to call 2 games the same just because they both share a few similarities.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I did say they played the same:
  • Shoot people to kill
  • Control the map [weapons, pickups and powerups]
  • Control the respawns

Based on the same goals, yes, but I didn't say they were both the same game lol.

Last edited:

Mclogenog

A game is something you play (typically). Each game tends to have it's own single, or primary, playstyle, else every game would appear the same. The main acception to this is that many games can be played in multiple ways, Halo is an example. In a game such as halo you can play it as a vehicle based games (excluding some maps), a sniper/stealth game, or a run and gun "not one step backwards" play style (these are merely examples). All the same though, the title has it's variable play style for a particular audience. UT3 also has it's quirky game styles that are different due to the many things I listed previously. If you take all of these aspects, features, stories, concepts, and ideas and add them together you get the total of what the game is. So therefore 2+2=4, but also what you seem to have missed is that 4=2+2. The game is the sum of the individual parts (though synergy is also not too uncommon), and in a similar way, the individual parts equal the game when summed. Therefore the idividual parts (though not the game) can be the game when viewed as one. Taking every aspect of the game into account is required. If you say one game is the same as another game because of similar features (though not all of the features being the same) it is essentially saying 2(one value from UT3)=2(similar values)=1(a value which is smaller because of lesser similarity as is found in this example). This equation is quite flawed. Please be so kind as to correct it.

EDIT: What I missed there was that the equation is impossible, it is 2/0=4, impossible. Why? Because the variables are apples and oranges which clearly are not the same though their values can be compared.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
So basically, UT and Halo are nothing alike and comparing them is useless. I think this is something we all know... well maybe except hyrage. :c