3Dbuzz top 10 finalist so far

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I never stated Str8Control as a reference, hell no IMAO. As I said, the map is not only optimized for UT3, but also for Mods like RealWeapons or ripper lite (why I add covers like you talked about).

But <<< you did not take that into considerations. My bad

You didn't get where I was going with my point, my fault probably.

I didn't say that Plutonic made a bad map, I pointed out what could be improved in that type of layout and that there isn't only one style of map that is a good DM map.

As a player and level desgn I do prefer good player being level designers, but hell I also knwo many great level & game designers who aren't as great as I am, but destroy me completely at designing stuff... but they always sucked at gaming, but they truly and deeply understand it.

So yeah I agree with pretty much everything that everyion is saying, but I do add some things that we as Level Designers often forget to think about.

That's it.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I already said:
I do not base myself on opinions, but on logical facts.
What I bring are logical facts followed by examples.

And the only one who is doing it other than saying: No no I disagree you don't know what you are talking about, you should be a great player to be a good LD, ...

C'mon...
Anyway work to do ;) for the MSUC,
See ya next time guys :D

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I never stated Str8Control as a reference, hell no IMAO. As I said, the map is not only optimized for UT3, but also for Mods like RealWeapons or ripper lite (why I add covers like you talked about).

But <<< you did not take that into considerations. My bad

The point is that it is not at all optimized for UT3.

I did read all of your posts, hyrage, and here is precisely what you said about your map:

I know what my own map is all about, I know the layout I've made and I know how the gameflow works, I know where are the jump tricks and the shortcuts, I know what I haven't balanced properly and I know that the layout is carefully designed for many gameplay styles [including RealWeapons, Ripper Lite, the original UT3 gameplays, CTF matches, TDM, etc].

And not to belabour the point, but you can't begin to tell me that your level is carefully designed for the original UT3 (gametypes?), CTF, and TDM.

I'll have to repectfully disagree.

I already said:
I do not base myself on opinions, but on logical facts.
What I bring are logical facts followed by examples.

And the only one who is doing it other than saying: No no I disagree you don't know what you are talking about, you should be a great player to be a good LD, ...

C'mon...
Anyway work to do ;) for the MSUC,
See ya next time guys :D

Your points are not facts, nor are they logical. They are ridiculous.

I also never said that you have to be a great player to be a good LD. I said you have to understand the game to be a good LD, either by playing on your own or by soliciting advice from those that do.

Arrogant and oblivious to the end, I see. Good luck with your next level. I look forward to trying it.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
That includes MUTATORS lol
Well hopefully they turn out better than your first foray into level design for Unreal Tournament 3. Be sure to post it in the content forum if you'd like feedback.

Your "lol'ing" at everything that everyone says to you makes it quite clear that you've not an ounce of humbleness in your craft. Good luck with that.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I feel sorry for whoever has to review your map for the MSUC.
Who talked about a map?

Anyway, my review is up here for the 3D Buzz contest, feel free to throw any negative comments :lol:

And go see the other reviews. Terry did a good job on reviewing, mostly because he is explaining why and how... what are the thoughts behind even if it was due to an opinion.

It makes sense in the end. :lol:

So feel free to give your pro feedbacks, it may help the judging for the next contest.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm guessing based on Joker's comments that he has probably never played UT3 (and maybe any previous UT game). Many of his map reviews so far simply talk about creative gimmicks and visuals as opposed to layout/flow/gameplay, item placement, or anything else that has to do with a DM map in a UT game.

Makes me wonder if he was the one who was obsessed with Nimius.

Kev_Boy

I Love Big Verts
Jun 15, 2008
Belgium
www.kevboy.metalsoup.com
He also seems to think that understanding how a game is played is not relative to designing good spaces in which to play that game. He's very nearly stated that the player's job is to "adapt" to whatever it is that the level designer throws at them. I can design a chess board with only four squares... but will anyone play it?

Well, frankly it's not without a shred of truth to it. Some people are really into killboxes and the likes and you should try and get them to play quality maps, and those hardcore CPLers wouldn't touch anything that isn't exactly the same old small room-ramp-room they've been practising on.

I'm not saying that's bad. There should be a diverse audience for a diverse range of maps, and who likes what will differ.
Though that still doesn't make it any less true however...

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I just think that there are more than one playstyle in UT3 and nobody is playing and moving the same even with the same gameplays. in answer to that, you can't just have one type of level design that fits to UT3.

The other olgical thought is you can't have only one style of level design if there is more than 5 different weapons giving 5 different playstyles too.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I'm guessing based on Joker's comments that he has probably never played UT3 (and maybe any previous UT game). Many of his map reviews so far simply talk about creative gimmicks and visuals as opposed to layout/flow/gameplay, item placement, or anything else that has to do with a DM map in a UT game.

Makes me wonder if he was the one who was obsessed with Nimius.
Nah he said he hated the map

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
I'm guessing based on Joker's comments that he has probably never played UT3 (and maybe any previous UT game).
In fact he does not even recognize the link gun :rolleyes:

obstacle6kq9.jpg

If you look at the bridge we can see some kind of light glitch. Is there anyway to get rid of that??

You aren't the best chess player because you created that game.
We're not talking about programming, we are talking about creating a map.
Creating a map is exactly like creating a chess puzzle.

To create a good chess puzzle you must not only understand the mechanincs of the game, but you must be a great player.
If you want to do something competitive, something interesting, something funny, and something serious, you must be a great chess player.

Otherwise you will just scatter pieces around in a way that looks cool, but for everybody that knows how to play chess, that will be utter crap.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Hyrage said:
Terry did a good job on reviewing, mostly because he is explaining why and how...
Yeah, that guy who said Arise was not good because it was a 1on1 map, the same man who says your map has a clean layout playable on 1on1... I remember him, though I don't want to... :lol:

I just think that there are more than one playstyle in UT3 and nobody is playing and moving the same even with the same gameplays. in answer to that, you can't just have one type of level design that fits to UT3.
Of course, there are sniper maps that work as sniper maps... but your level is just unnavigable... What you say about 'I designed the map keeping these mutators in mind' sounds to me that you first designed the map randomly, and then you chose the mutators that could work in the map... I'd like to know what you intentionally did to make your map fit those mutators... ;)

The other olgical thought is you can't have only one style of level design if there is more than 5 different weapons giving 5 different playstyles too.
Completely illogical from my point of view. It's not only 'this weapon' or 'the other one', but also the way they interact with each other.. that's what makes of UT a single game, same as flow/connectivity makes a map feel as a single map. Told this before and you 'totally agreeed', but as proven again and again, you refuse to understand...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
Every time I read one of Hyrage's posts I wonder whether he is a native English speaker. I think that would go some way to explaining how he can read everything everyone says, claim to agree, and then say something else completely contrary.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Completely illogical from my point of view. It's not only 'this weapon' or 'the other one', but also the way they interact with each other.. that's what makes of UT a single game, same as flow/connectivity makes a map feel as a single map. Told this before and you 'totally agreeed', but as proven again and again, you refuse to understand...

Absolutely right.

Now, having said that, hyrage, there are maps that take a weapon subset and create a play space around them as a gimmick. For instance, DM-Morbias features only the Rocket Launcher (in 2004 it inclueds the LightningGun). CTF-Maul (2004) excludes a handful of weapons and prominently features the FlakCannon, which excels on the two steeply sloped surfaces. But they're still in properly scaled and playable spaces.

Str8control is not.

You've taken every weapon and pickup available in the game and tossed them into a cramped maze of corridors and restrictive rooms surrounding one big open space that is a veritable vending machine of control pickups.

Now, you can try and create a false solution to the problem by retroactively stating that your map was created for "some other play style", but you've already made it clear that you "carefully designed (it) for the original UT3 (gametypes?), CTF, and TDM".

The fact is that you've probably carefully designed it for some other game that is not Unreal Tournament.

It is not scaled well to accomodate the movement system created by Epic. The control pickups are not placed in such a way as to promote player flow. One good player (or team, in the case of TDM) could literally stay in the center of the map and utterly lock down the entire level. It does not demonstrate knowledge of the way weapons are actually used (an AVRiL... really?).

Again, anyone (perhaps this is where your "five year olds can do this" comment stems from) can create any level design that they wish for this game and then stubbornly claim that the players aren't playing it right. But the fact is that Unreal Tournament gameplay mechanics exist by design and it should behoove you to create a level that is conducive to them.

I realize that there are people who like to wander around in maps pretending to play some other game and it's perfectly within your rights to design a level for them. Just don't claim that it is in any way optimized for this one. And given all of this, I can't begin to tell you how presumptuous you sound dispensing advice to people that have demonstrated for a decade that they have a solid understanding of what makes this game work.