UT3 Bonus Pack 1 RELEASED!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Morbias, Morbias - I knew the name - now I know why I never remembered the name. It's just another Fractal (which was the first map of this type for me) - except that Fractal is cool dense duel map in UT Tournament. Here the dead ends are way too long and overal map is nothing extra (layout, tactics, etc) - but it serves the purpose I guess.

I checked Searchlight - that one looks interesting and if it's good it's the only one that is not shallow from the pack. However... Face - shallow or not - I can play this one anytime. ;-) All in all good that we have our pack. :) What I'd like to see are additional assets (new package in Environments that is).

Alopexau

Mar 28, 2005
Does anyone know if there are actually unlinked preview pics inside the maps that can be edited into the ini files? Someone already that searchlight had a preview in beta... and if that's the case, wtf epic?

ChookWoods

Jun 19, 2005
nice pack... really like searchlight.

i did however find a bug in it that affects gameplay that i havent seen mentioned yet. seems to only affect blue base, near the flagroom on the left hand side (looking from blue to red base) theres a cut out in the back corner wall going off the edge of the map. if you walk to that gap you are killed even though youre on solid ground.

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
[...]you are saying that because the preview pic is missing this somehow detracts from how great the maps are on a professional level. [...] If you can't find anything to complain about other than that you should stop gaming ... seriously. This has zero impact on your gaming.

Obviously not that much, but it does detract, yes.
Every single thing could detract from, or add to a game, or even both, depending on who you ask.
Like Armagon917 said (here), and like I said earlier, it's such a simple small thing to do, and it helps the presentation.
I know Epic said they want to make the very best game they can, and I know other companies say the same, and that means looking in the details as well as the main features.
It's impossible to reach perfection, but if you strife for it, you might at least get close.
If you get lazy (or whatever the reason is) and skip on the details, the result will never be as good.

Again, it's a small thing, I can live with it, I'm just defending my reasoning.
I am of course very glad with cool, free stuff.

I am actually opposed to how epic tried to unify the themes in UT3. The thing which i love about UT99 is that it has so many differently themed levels. While UT3 does have a certain degree of different themes on offer, it doesn't push as much variety as UT1 and UT2004

I was thinking the same thing about all the Necris tentacles. :)

Agreed.
All maps being set on Taryd unifies, but also makes the game more... same-y.
Unreal Championship is all one planet... but those maps are more sci-fi... or a different kind of sci-fi.
I think that game felt like closer to UT, with more different map styles.
Of course UC2 has maps that are a lot smaller, making it unfair to compare them.
Either way, it doesn't both me; I'm sure non-Epic mappers will add more different maps, won't feel restricted to Taryd as much.
Maybe Epic will release some out-of-story maps later as well.
Taryd seems like a big, Earth-like planet, so unlike Star Wars planets, it probably does feature a whole bunch of different environments.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
No one has taken a screenshot of the flag room in CTF-Face.

[SCREENSHOT]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s130/UBerserker/Walkthrough/ScreenShot00000.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s130/UBerserker/Walkthrough/ScreenShot00001.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s130/UBerserker/Walkthrough/ScreenShot00002.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Brits_Hit

Flak Monkey
Aug 1, 2003
Toronto, Canada
dynamic5.gamespy.com
sidenote, the black boxes on searchlight are used for making the searchlights track the player (i disected the kismet thingy and noticed that the boxes get attached to the player when the flag gets taken and the searchlight tracks the object) they get hidden on the level start up, thats why sometimes pre game they arnt hidden yet, this could have easily been fixed if a different trigger had been used (level loaded and visible) its not a game breaker though since they wont show up when the game starts. it could be that the level loaded and visible trigger breaks the tracking kismet (havent tried). just thought id mention it

That's a pretty damn cool gimmick, but I never once saw it happen when I played the map. I'll play again and see if I missed it.

Masakari

Jan 22, 2008
I was gonna ask why the new Face was in a planet, and not in space like it should be, but then i read the whole Taryd thing. Still think it's stupid.
I mean, it's no reason to bitch about like crazy, but it's one of those silly decisions to change what doesnt need changing. And i agree on that having no preview image / description is just sloppy / lazy development, and makes for worse presentation. It takes 5 minutes to do it.

Cool bonus pack nonetheless.

Last edited:

SPIDEYUT2K7

I see a blue screen
Feb 22, 2008
City of the Polution
like MASAKARI said before, Maybe the giant rock containing the battlefield fall in to the world (for some weird reason , and , is still floating in the air, but really du no):rolleyes:

Last edited:

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
...I mean, it's no reason to bitch about like crazy, but it's one of those silly decisions to change what doesnt need changing. And i agree on that having no preview image / description is just sloppy / lazy development, and makes for worse presentation. It takes 5 minutes to do it...

It's possible that they weren't left out on purpose, too.

Yes, but it is also possible that they didn't make the floating in the middle bug, the black box bug and some weird ground texture work on face on the right side of the towers on purpose.

The point is that a professional game developer like Epic should play test content they release, to make sure that they remain in the books as a high standard developer. These bugs are so obvious it gives us the idea that they did not play test the final release, which is unprofessional for a serious game developer.

I agree with Masakari that we make to much of deal out of it and that the free content is good/cool. I just hope Epic isn't going to continue to be this sloppy with next releases, and get back on the HQ track.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes, but it is also possible that they didn't make the floating in the middle bug, the black box bug and some weird ground texture work on face on the right side of the towers on purpose.

The point is that a professional game developer like Epic should play test content they release, to make sure that they remain in the books as a high standard developer. These bugs are so obvious it gives us the idea that they did not play test the final release, which is unprofessional for a serious game developer.

I agree with Masakari that we make to much of deal out of it and that the free content is good/cool. I just hope Epic isn't going to continue to be this sloppy with next releases, and get back on the HQ track.
Companies make mistakes. How do you know they didn't release the wrong levels on accident or ship the pack a week early than they were planning on by some mistake? My point is, there is no reason to think the levels were purposefully released this way. Jeff has already said they are working on fixing the bugs, let's hope they do a full re-release and don't try to maintain compatibility with these poorly tested levels. Anyone who has downloaded it is going to redownload it if the bugs are fixed, and I'd rather ALL the bugs were fixed.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
Companies make mistakes. How do you know they didn't release the wrong levels on accident or ship the pack a week early than they were planning on by some mistake? My point is, there is no reason to think the levels were purposefully released this way.
I disagree. You don't accidentally release a wrong map pack, and you don't release an unfinished map pack because of a lack of time. If there isn't enough time a professional studio delays them. And since they never even announced the pack they could have done it without any damage to their reputation.

Jeff has already said they are working on fixing the bugs, let's hope they do a full re-release and don't try to maintain compatibility with these poorly tested levels. Anyone who has downloaded it is going to redownload it if the bugs are fixed, and I'd rather ALL the bugs were fixed.
Yup, me two!:cheers:

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I disagree. You don't accidentally release a wrong map pack, and you don't release an unfinished map pack because of a lack of time. If there isn't enough time a professional studio delays them. And since they never even announced the pack they could have done it without any damage to their reputation.
If you really believe that,m then I can only assume that you are entirely unfamiliar with the mechanics of business.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Jeff has already said they are working on fixing the bugs, let's hope they do a full re-release and don't try to maintain compatibility with these poorly tested levels. Anyone who has downloaded it is going to redownload it if the bugs are fixed, and I'd rather ALL the bugs were fixed.

Par for the course. This is why there is only 1 populated server for each game type.

Now they release bonus maps that will need to be re-downloaded? I'm not even going to bother.