UT3 Patch 2 Internal Beta Changelist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I'm very glad to see a new patch in the works, but I have to agree with UnrealGrrl. All of these things should have been in place by the time the beta demo was released, let alone months after the game is on the shelves.

Absolutely.

Yes, Epic ended up fixing everything, including the broken netcode

I think the difference between then and now is that Epic genuinely believed that the original Unreal netcode was fit for purpose when it was first released. Its failure when brought into contact with the levels of packet-loss and latency being experienced then by modem-using players was a surprise. A mistake (design error) was made and (as I recall) it took several attempts before Epic finally got it right.

I think it would be hard for the present day Epic to argue that it was a surprise to them when they opened the first retail boxes to find out that web admin was missing. That wasn't a mistake or a design error - it was a decision.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm very glad to see a new patch in the works, but I have to agree with UnrealGrrl. All of these things should have been in place by the time the beta demo was released, let alone months after the game is on the shelves.
I'm certainly not disagreeing with that at all. But most people are really blowing things out of proportion.

You know that I am certainly not the last to complain about things in the game or mock certain features. The problem is that people are making what are really insignificant problems out to be worse then if, say, dodge jumping was still in the game.

I've never had a problem with the game being functional. You can open it, you can join a server, you can play the game. That being said, while there are plenty of things to fix, you can still play the game in some form or another.

Personally, I think the attitudes on the forums affected the reviews of the game, and I believe the attitudes on the forums and the reviews of the game affected the game's bottom line. So, by inference, the whining on the forums from beta demo to retail caused more problems than how many problems the game actually has.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
trust no one, keep your wallet sealed ...

Hey ... it's 2008 ... it's the internet ...
Did anyone really expect that the thousands of anonymous nerds that think they are so godlike that their opinions mean everything would start posting positive opinions on anything ?

Has anyone ever seen a forum filled with positive posts/comments about any game ?
I certainly haven't ... and the ones that do often stink of marketing-droids trying to fake fan-boy reviews.

It's always easy to say that Epic should have done/known better.
It's really easy to say that when you're not in their shoes and having to decide whether it is profitable to delay the release by a few months with games on the horizon that make UE3-graphics look dated.

I'm pretty sure that the designers/developers at Epic themselves are aware of the issues (some of the GUI issues were acknowledged).
However the ones that made the decision chose to ignore those comments for some reason. One can hope that they do a post-mortem to analyse the game.
I just doubt that outsiders like us will ever know the truth.

It's too late to complain. What's done is done.
We can only hope that they learn from their mistake(s).
And I seriously hope that we as consumers learn from our mistake(s) as well.
It was our decision to buy the game even though we had seen the 'broken' demo.
It was/is our decision to rely on patches to fix 'everything', which allows for companies to get away with such releases.
That is something we have to live with as well.
They've got our money, they are not forced to do anything.

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008
what about rockets and goo never firing? Hell, sometimes shock primaries don't fire for me. It happened three times in a row today. I'm pretty surprised something that fundamental hasn't been addressed...

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Good going there, but you're wrong.

Well, I'm not wrong in this instance but I doubt that we will ever agree on that.

As ever, it is possible that we are both "right" and that both the quality of the released product and the attitudes on the forums were factors in the reception to the game.

You should note that "released product" <> "game". I quite liked the gameplay once I could run the single player game.

Ninian

Jan 24, 2008
Would be incredible if they added multiplayer demorec compability. There would've been loads of vids for sure!

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
And I seriously hope that we as consumers learn from our mistake(s) as well.

I learned. Next game from Epic I will download from p2p, then I betatest it until I am bored with it or they provide patch that gets it to quality release. I pay them my money (buy orginal) only if they manage to make it quality game before i uninstall pirated copy.

Too many recent hyped games failed me miserably:
GOW - great game but crashing, lost saves etc make it pos
UT3 - half finished half beta
NWN2 - zig-zag levels, GFX preety but artistic work terrible, story is only a faint shadow of NWN1 which was just mere shadow of BG2
Empire Earth - i did not even bother to get it from p2p
Bioshock - thank you I skip installing that insane copy protrection thing on my computer.

I bought GOW copy which I consider wasted money, 2 copies of UT3 (one retail one special edition) i consider ok investment only because i love making maps. Game fails, noone of my friends playing fps wanted to play UT3 for more than a day. Not sure why but they all do not like it and I got them into FPS games by playing UT2004. They all like BF morem, so that may be fault of WAR gametype not as fun as BF.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
My only major gripe is that I have all this crap on my C: drive. Why is custom content by default stored on the C: drive? This is completely ridiculous.:eek: I'm the only one playing games on this computer, so what does it matter where this is stored? I finally installed the game today, so let me know when they fix this issue and I'll start it.:mad:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
My only major gripe is that I have all this crap on my C: drive. Why is custom content by default stored on the C: drive? This is completely ridiculous.:eek: I'm the only one playing games on this computer, so what does it matter where this is stored? I finally installed the game today, so let me know when they fix this issue and I'll start it.:mad:
So... let me get this straight. The game is on your C: drive, and you're complaining because custom content also goes on your C: drive...? :con:

You DO know you can move the My Documents/My Games folder to wherever you like and the game will keep track of that, right...?

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com

you might want to have a look at what hourences explains on his website. search for 'homedir'. it explains how to get rid of the 'my documents'-for-custom-maps setup.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
yes, I forgot about that part. I read that somewhere about the -nohomedir command a few weeks ago then forgot and someone on another forum reminded me.......damn alcohol.;) Thanks for the hourences link as well.......I'll see what other stuff he has there. Still, I would have been happy with UT2004 because I don't want games on my C: drive under any circumstances.......yes, even UT stuff.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Increased UTGame MaxPlayersAllowed to 64.

Lol. That's what we need: 32v32 games on Market district instead on the now 12v12
ahahahahah

Yeah I don't get that one at all. Maybe it is for people with Uber systems that play at really low resolutions with no eye candy on at all. I can't imagine UT3 handling 64 players on any current level that exists ... I really want to see when someone takes advantage of this.

What about a really helpful fix like not having to go into mutators and choose the mutes I like to play with every single time I start up UT3. Now that would be a great feature. Sometimes WE ALL forget that we have to do this and it is annoying when a map is loading and you realize it and then you have to wait for it to load them wait for several seconds when you quit the map and then start over ... now that is a hassle. Or how about when the UI says it is going to the main menu it actually goes to the main menu instead of the game types menu ... I mean there are some real fixed still waiting to be made. I didn't see any mention of custom gametypes being addressed.

Anyway I am appreciative for the fixes but when is there going to be a fix for setting up teams properly in IA like in UT2K3/4? This single column crap for choosing bots is ridiculous and it is easy to get the order screwed up and end up with the wrong bots as teammates ... And the rosters are shared by ALL the gametypes ... that is pure instanity ... so no longer can there be totally different rosters for DM vs CTF or any of the team based gametypes. How retarded is it that by the second patch this would not be addressed? I like Epic obviously since I still pay for and play all their games on all platforms but I really expect to see some significant fixes.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Yeah I don't get that one at all. Maybe it is for people with Uber systems that play at really low resolutions with no eye candy on at all. I can't imagine UT3 handling 64 players on any current level that exists ... I really want to see when someone takes advantage of this.

What about a really helpful fix like not having to go into mutators and choose the mutes I like to play with every single time I start up UT3. Now that would be a great feature. Sometimes WE ALL forget that we have to do this and it is annoying when a map is loading and you realize it and then you have to wait for it to load them wait for several seconds when you quit the map and then start over ... now that is a hassle. Or how about when the UI says it is going to the main menu it actually goes to the main menu instead of the game types menu ... I mean there are some real fixed still waiting to be made. I didn't see any mention of custom gametypes being addressed.

Anyway I am appreciative for the fixes but when is there going to be a fix for setting up teams properly in IA like in UT2K3/4? This single column crap for choosing bots is ridiculous and it is easy to get the order screwed up and end up with the wrong bots as teammates ... And the rosters are shared by ALL the gametypes ... that is pure instanity ... so no longer can there be totally different rosters for DM vs CTF or any of the team based gametypes. How retarded is it that by the second patch this would not be addressed? I like Epic obviously since I still pay for and play all their games on all platforms but I really expect to see some significant fixes.

What it means is beofre there was an artificial limit of 32 people. The minmax settings for the game will still top out at 32, but this allows mods (read: TCs) to have a 64 player limit.

As to the bots, I think they're all the same statswise, so what does it matter which ones are on your team? There's already a setting to have all players on a team be on the same faction. If that's turned on, and you have a ronin character, all your bots will be Ronin too.

Last edited: