UT3 Patch 2 Internal Beta Changelist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Some very much needed corrections.
WooT for WebAdmin, will make things more easy on us Admins.

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
"Increased UTGame MaxPlayersAllowed to 64."

Why? Most maps already cannot handle 32 or even 24 players gracefully. 16 players is more than enough 90% of the time. Maybe 95%. D:

But... Yay for patches.

you dont have to play with 64 players, but it allows you to play with 64 players if you want to, so this isn't a bad thing.

You could do that in the INI. UTGame,ini, [DefaultPlayer].

By default, it's team=255. 0 would be Blue and 1 would be Red, in all likelihood.

you can do much in the ini, but I think, the average offline-playing UT3 player doen't know it and doesnt want to know it.

Can't see copy/paste ip into ingame console anywhere :l

yeah, its so annoying to type the IP if you want to join a friend playing

still havnt fixed the dual enfercer animation

what's wrong with it?

"The majority of UT players play offline"

but you just can't play UT3 offline anymore as you were able to play UT2 :(. UT2 was very fun offline because there were so many settings to change, you were able to make your own gametype, just think about the bot roster and the maxlives setting.

In what circumstance would you be downloading something from the server while playing?

if youwdont want to wait for it after the match^^

Finally they are porting UT3 from console to PC! hurray

But I think, it takes ~~6months for the port to be completed

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
I can't believe people can continue to whine about a news post that proves that the vast majority of SERIOUS issues are going to be addressed in the next patch. Can't you guys be positive about ANYTHING?

yes this is all very good...

but its hard to be positive when all this should have been part of the game in the first place, not a patch months later...
yes im happy i might actually be able to use favorites now - but stuff like this should have been working from day1 and its nuts to think UT3 was released the way it was.

vast majority? i dont know bout that - they are tackling alot of problems here so thats good...

i love the game and im happy they didnt just drop it (they could have) and just called it a series end. saying, ok, sales were not great, game not getting top score reviews, no more UT, its over.
but, Epic seems to be trying to make it right, so im happy about that and hopefully things will just keep gettin better UTwise.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
but its hard to be positive when all this should have been part of the game in the first place, not a patch months later...
yes im happy i might actually be able to use favorites now - but stuff like this should have been working from day1 and its nuts to think UT3 was released the way it was.
It's not hard for me to be positive. Did you ever play Unreal or UT2003? This launch hasn't been any worse than those, really.
vast majority? i dont know bout that - they are tackling alot of problems here so thats good...
There's a reason I said serious issues. This patch doesn't tackle the vast majority of all problems, but it does tackle the vast majority of serious problems. 80% of the major annoyances for me will be gone if this patch delivers what it promises. That's really all that matters to me.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
It's not hard for me to be positive. Did you ever play Unreal or UT2003? This launch hasn't been any worse than those, really.

The fact that Epic botched those releases as well makes me wonder how they did it again. Don't they learn from their mistakes?

You shouldn't have to accept a sub-par game for no other reason than that they've release unfinished games before. i refuse to lower my expectations just because Epic cannot manage projects like this.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The fact that Epic botched those releases as well makes me wonder how they did it again. Don't they learn from their mistakes?

You shouldn't have to accept a sub-par game for no other reason than that they've release unfinished games before. i refuse to lower my expectations just because Epic cannot manage projects like this.
That wasn't my point at all.

I guess I'm unusual as I don't see the UI as the core part of the game. Gameplay issues in UT3 for me are no greater than they are in any other game.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com

There's a reason I said serious issues. This patch doesn't tackle the vast majority of all problems, but it does tackle the vast majority of serious problems. 80% of the major annoyances for me will be gone if this patch delivers what it promises. That's really all that matters to me.

I started with Unreal Multiplayer it was the first shooter i had ever really tried and liked. so i dont know what its release was like cause i didnt have any expectations.
and to be honest, there should not have been any expectations cause it was a new game.

UT2003 had a bunch of problems out of the box but the game worked, options were there, not missing or broken. (except for some notable few like the awful scoreboard and no voice menu)
Despite its problems (and signigificantly changed gameplay) it got a decent reception and good reviews, cause it still played well. different but well. of course there were UT diehards that still disagree to this day but there are also still ppl using rotary phones...
2k3 wasnt quite ready yet either, but it did work. and if not for ut2003, for all the probems - we might not have seen UT2004 so soon and lotsa bonuses to make up for the oooops! that was UT2k3. who knows, in a year we may see Epic denying UT3s existence (ala UT2003) and we'll all be playing UT: Xtreme Edition ftw :p

the problem with UT3 was that there were huge expectations and for whatever reason (we will never know) the game was released before it was really ready. it wasnt called a beta demo for no reason....

sure the ui and server browser are not part of the core gameplay we know that, the problem is they haveta work for the game to have any chance and these were delivered badly broken. not only that but UT3 was missing lotsa features that were in previous UTs that are expectedby players.

the problem (to me) was never that UT3 didnt play well, the problem was it still had 6 months give or take of beta testing before it should have been released. i luv the game despite the problems, but if its frustrating for even a fanatic like me to play her fave game series, then how bad is it for a "regular" player?!

If this patch delivers everything listed. THAT is what the Demo should have been. Maybe then nearly every single UT fan and UT review would not have unanamously singled out all the same broken parts and missing features... Maybe then, thered be a decent community builidng up around the PC version and maybe then we'd be seeing better reviews instead of a luke warm reception and excuses or silence about what really happened...
maybe then, we'd all be playing more instead of comparing notes on what went wrong?

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
If this patch delivers everything listed. THAT is what the Demo should have been. Maybe then nearly every single UT fan and UT review would not have unanamously singled out all the same broken parts and missing features... Maybe then, thered be a decent community builidng up around the PC version and maybe then we'd be seeing better reviews instead of a luke warm reception and excuses or silence about what really happened...
maybe then, we'd all be playing more instead of comparing notes on what went wrong?
Most of the reviews were pretty positive, regardless - rather solid 8.5s and 9s across the board from most sites.

Most of the huge letdowns come from the diehards who do expect features like weapon throwing and pipeswitching, but the "regular" gamer isn't going to care about those features, or even notice they're missing, perhaps.

The engine could use a little technical work, and yeah, some things were missing, but as I've said before in other posts, no UT game really gets clicking until patch 3 or 4. It should be the same with UT3.

That said, I'm still having fun playing the game, and I'm glad I spent $60 on it. Releasing a game is 20% your choice and 80% the developer's choice, because when publishers let the developer get it done, you get projects like Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever. I'm not saying Epic would've dropped the ball THAT badly with UT3, but at the same time, it's a lot easier to develop for a game once it's out there and you can simply devote time to it, rather than have a publisher breathe down your neck. And I'm sure Midway wanted to try to pull a little steam from Crysis - a game which also, by the way, doesn't quite live up to its hype.

Remember, the launch versions of the last 3 UTs were full of bugs, too. If you're patient and stick to it, it'll be worth it.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm very glad to see a new patch in the works, but I have to agree with UnrealGrrl. All of these things should have been in place by the time the beta demo was released, let alone months after the game is on the shelves.

Brizz, I too remember the release of Unreal. I bought the game immediately and went online - except it was an unplayable slide show. Yes, Epic ended up fixing everything, including the broken netcode, and I ended up enjoying the multiplayer aspect of the game (along with about 100 other people online). By the time the game was fixed - no one was around to play it.

UT was a total surprise for players and reviewers - not because it was so good, but because Unreal multiplayer had so many problems.