Jeff Morris Interview

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's what Epic was hoping for. Get the community to fix the problems and lack of features. Why clean up your own mess if you can get someone else to do it?
Yeah those idiots aren't even releasing any patches! :shake:

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
I paid $50 to have some fun, not to be buried in disappointment. If I wanted the latter I could've used that money on a fat hooker. D:

To you and the other whiners around here:
1. The demo gave a great view on how things where going to be. So either you didn't play the demo (in wich case it is your own fault and you should hit yourself) or you did play it and you didn't like it, but you decided to buy it anyway (wich is even more stupid).
2. This is a forum for people who like playing UT(3), and who wish to read op on the lastest community news. If you don't like playing UT(3) then what are you still doing here? Moreover, people like me who hope to find something useful in these threads are getting tired of your ongoing whining. We are not interested about the fact you hate the latest installment (because you explained 12million times now) and your only irritating people.

If you really think someone here is actually still interested, why don't you put it on your blog or something.

Last edited:

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
2. This is a forum for people who like playing UT(3), and who wish to read op on the lastest community news. If you don't like playing UT(3)

Although I agree on your other points I disagree on the quoted one... ...this site is named BEYOND unreal... ...and beyond doesn't stop after having added "Tournament" after "Unreal".

And I checked... ...this is NOT the UT3 section.

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
I paid $50 to have some fun, not to be buried in disappointment. If I wanted the latter I could've used that money on a fat hooker. D:

That's hardly Epic's fault. They didn't misrepresent the game (except for the single-player "campaign"). There was tons of info released about UT3 prior to its release and there was a demo.

If UT3 sucks for you, you need to get over it.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
Although I agree on your other points I disagree on the quoted one... ...this site is named BEYOND unreal... ...and beyond doesn't stop after having added "Tournament" after "Unreal".
As for beyond it stands for doing more then just playing UT meaning
1. Making modifications
2. Talking about UT3 related subjects
3. Being together with a group of people who share your interests.

And I think you will agree you don't like to talk with people who are being constantly negative and non-constructive about something you like. Don't get me wrong, differing from opinions is not my problem. My problem is that there apparently is a need for people to flush it in every thread possible.

And I checked... ...this is NOT the UT3 section.
Yeah your right, it is the comments thread on the latest UT3 article about an UT3 topic with a guy who informs us that he hates UT3, but it is somehow clearly not UT3 related and he clearly talks about something else apart from UT3. C'mon don't give me that kind of silly arguments man.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Didn't misrepresent it?

Calling it a beta demo meant something should have changed between it and the final. Didn't happen. I was hoping the two DM maps therein were the worst of the bunch. Didn't happen. Most of them suck in terms of interesting gameplay and flow and are rife with gimmicks that get old after one play. In fact, Sentinel is the only one I would actually call good and it's got its share of issues. For instance, the belt is easy to camp and control since there's only two ways you can get there and they're in the same direction (from shock and link; just look to your left while on the belt and you'll be fine). I was hoping UT3 would provide good support to be the next big competitive 1v1 game. Didn't happen. They clearly had no intention of making playable 1v1 maps or even balancing the weapons for 1v1 play, but how was I supposed to know this? I had no idea how CTF would end up, but I was hoping for maps with fantastic flow that would match up well with the new xloc. Didn't happen. I had no idea how ONS v2.0 would turn out and I was hoping that, again, Suspense was the worst they had to offer from VCTF. In both cases I've only found the gameplay to be stale and worse than UT2004's variants, something I originally thought impossible.

Perhaps I was simply wrong to have faith in Epic. I bought UT3 purely on faith that it would deliver something worthwhile, but I see now that was a mistake.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
People on this forum don't agree with me, which is not surprising, because people have rarely agreed with me here. The rest of the world agrees quite wholeheartedly as shown by the number of people playing. UT3 is the new Q4.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
People on this forum don't agree with me, which is not surprising, because people have rarely agreed with me here. The rest of the world agrees quite wholeheartedly as shown by the number of people playing. UT3 is the new Q4.
The number of people playing doesn't prove anyone agrees with you, because thre are a lot of things not included in your complaints that people can gripe about. Posts on Epic's forums prove, most people like the gameplay but don't play for other reasons.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
2. Talking about Unreal Engine related subjects

I had to modify it a bit. Mybe you could also see it as a 4th point that adds to your 3 points.

Lemme quote from the About BU section:

"The BeyondUnreal team is dedicated to providing everything necessary and desired by the Unreal-engine gamer in a fast, fun and reliable website."

Look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_engine#Unreal_Engine_3_2

Does someone who is here because of for example GoW and likes this forum more than the official forums have to go away as you said in your earlier post?

Last edited:

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
Didn't misrepresent it?

Calling it a beta demo meant something should have changed between it and the final. Didn't happen. I was hoping the two DM maps therein were the worst of the bunch. Didn't happen. Most of them suck in terms of interesting gameplay and flow and are rife with gimmicks that get old after one play. In fact, Sentinel is the only one I would actually call good and it's got its share of issues. For instance, the belt is easy to camp and control since there's only two ways you can get there and they're in the same direction (from shock and link; just look to your left while on the belt and you'll be fine). I was hoping UT3 would provide good support to be the next big competitive 1v1 game. Didn't happen. They clearly had no intention of making playable 1v1 maps or even balancing the weapons for 1v1 play, but how was I supposed to know this? I had no idea how CTF would end up, but I was hoping for maps with fantastic flow that would match up well with the new xloc. Didn't happen. I had no idea how ONS v2.0 would turn out and I was hoping that, again, Suspense was the worst they had to offer from VCTF. In both cases I've only found the gameplay to be stale and worse than UT2004's variants, something I originally thought impossible.

Perhaps I was simply wrong to have faith in Epic. I bought UT3 purely on faith that it would deliver something worthwhile, but I see now that was a mistake.

Just for one moment man:
Think about it: wouldn't it be reasonable for any gamer with a little bit of experience and common sense to know that a demo is brought out with some of the best a game can deliver, so that people get attracted and buy it?

Or let me put it this way, you go to a restaurant and you ask a guy what kind of food he is selling. You never tasted the food before so you ask if you may trie a piece of it. You know he gives you the best piece because he wishes to sell foot to you. You eat it and you absolutely hate it. Do you ask for more?

Yeah makes sense, look at all those other posts you guys put up every day around here. I can't remember how many times the things you put up have been mentioned around here every day, again and again. Your remark just proves your tunnel vision.

Oh and just for the record, if what you say is true and everyone else outside this site thinks UT3 sucks (wich is just hilarious considering all the good reviews it gets) then that's fine. I know I like the game and that's not going to change because someone else tells it sucks.

I had to modify it a bit. Mybe you could also see it as a 4th point that adds to your 3 points.

Lemme quote from the About BU section:

"The BeyondUnreal team is dedicated to providing everything necessary and desired by the Unreal-engine gamer in a fast, fun and reliable website."

Look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_engine#Unreal_Engine_3_2

Does someone who is here because of for example GoW and likes this forum more than the official forums have to go away as you said in your earlier post?

You don't see my point, if he likes a different game then why did he post in a UT3 thread? If he likes for example ut2k4 then he should go to the ut2k4 forum and talk there. This is a news post about UT3 and he comments on UT3. He doesn't have to leave, I am just politely asking to stop the whining on the news post comments about UT3.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

You've got some flawed logic of your own going there. UT3 is more like UT. Are you saying UT is either not part of the "UT legacy" or is not (as you say) "more challenging for noobs"?

I am not defining the "UT legacy" in terms of one game or another, but in term of a principle more or less realized in the UT games, the principle being: a game where good players can excel and dominate noobs because of their superior skills. Accommodating the game for noobs is a step in the wrong direction, as I see it. (If that would make UT2004 a better realization of the principle and consequently more in line with the "UT legacy", that would not be a paradox in my mind.)

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
The biggest reason I don't play UT3 that much is that there are so many games out that give you incentive to play. The biggest one I can think of is COD4. I'm constantly chasing that rank upgrade, etc. If UT3 had actually done something innovative that would keep you coming back, I think more people would play. Other than that small niggle, I think it's a great game. It just doesn't demand that you play like COD4 does. Conversely, like with COD4's single player game, if UT3 had used some actual single player FPS levels, even mediocre ones, it would have been something different to play other than the same levels you get to play in online matches. I don't think the design is flawed, I just think that they did not make enough changes in the game to keep people hooked in.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I am not defining the "UT legacy" in terms of one game or another, but in term of a principle more or less realized in the UT games, the principle being: a game where good players can excel and dominate noobs because of their superior skills. Accommodating the game for noobs is a step in the wrong direction, as I see it. (If that would make UT2004 a better realization of the principle and consequently more in line with the "UT legacy", that would not be a paradox in my mind.)
That's a bad formula, since you need people to play the game period. The last two games haven't been good for getting people interested in playing (-1 to 40 in a DM for example).

ShredPrince

Sep 14, 2005
CTF-Omicron BONG
It's exactly what is happening now. It makes no sense to me. Most people I've talked to love UT3's gameplay but just don't play the game. Ironically, it's typically because they "can't find a server" which just perpetuates the problem that there are empty servers all over.

I'm hoping patch2 is going to make people come back, because we will be able to easily manage servers as well as have custom content!!

It won't, it never saved UC2...Best you'll have is a steady stream of players. For every new player, you'll have one that leaves, and is "done" with the game. The similarities in issues between the two games is intresting.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
It won't, it never saved UC2...Best you'll have is a steady stream of players. For every new player, you'll have one that leaves, and is "done" with the game. The similarities in issues between the two games is intresting.

Hey, Midway was the same publisher! :)

And anyway, I find UT3 definitely more fun offline, and that's my opinion.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UC2 only got one patch and it only fixed about 5% of the problems with that game.