Q to those with military experience

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
The bulk system has been discussed over and over in the past but only in terms of the weight a man can carry.

What I want to know is that as an infantry, would you really carry more than one AR, sniper rifle, SMG, or anything larger than a little handgun?? Not for the sake of making INF more realistic or anything but for the sake of myself making realistic loadouts that a military personnel would carry in RL, I would like to know.

I've seen lots of action and war movies but one can never tell what it really is like since they often exaggerate things in such movies.

Any expert's advice in making realistic loadouts would be greatly appreciated!!:)

Evil Joe

I Will Kill You
Feb 13, 2000
Infantrymen load out would be real easy. Typical US infantry carry the 16, 4-6 clips, and about 20% of them have 203's on their 16. Realistically common infantry don't have ACOG nor do they have sidearms. In the US army only mp's, some officers (although a lieutenant in the field leading an infantry platoon would have a rifle), tankers etc. are issued pistols. Now Special Forces units are a different story. In reality they carry whatever they want to per the mission. Also Army rangers are issued M4's instead of 16's I believe. Also alot more US army units are carrying carbines then before. Airborne units like the 101st and the 82nd carry M4's. I'm in a chemical decon unit and I carry a 16. The only person with a pistol is our CO, our XO and other officers carry 16's. About 1 out of every 5 or 4 people has a 16 with a mounted 203. And various people are assigned as SAW gunners (they are still issued 16's however).

Basically it depends on the Units CQ... the CQ is basically from higher up and it basically determines what that unit can employ. This doesn't cover just weapons it covers everything. Thus an infantry units CQ would prevent them from requisitioning say a helicopter or tank. Similarly my unit wouldn't be able to requisition 50 cals etc. What "loadout" an infantry man carries for certain missions is determined by the unit's SOP "standard operating proceedure" and the unit's leaders. Therefore if an infantry man is taking part in a combat patrol he may have less magazines then say if he was taking part in a full scale attack etc.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind that their aren't too many conventional scenarios in the current Infiltration maps... and that the missions would more then likely involve special ops which carry different loadouts then conventional infantry troops. If i where you I'd pick what works for you.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
In case nobody clearly understood my question, I ask again in more precise way.

Do real soldiers(e.g. US Army, Ranger, USMC, etc.) carry like two ARs or one AR and one SMG, so they can swap weapons when they want??
In the movies like Platoon and Saving Private Ryan, each soldier seem to carry only one main weapon and a handgun. Is this mostly the case? Anyone??

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
sir, Fomer amateur private here, sir.

Well, althou´I was desmissed of Military Service, ´cause of XSS of contingent, I have many friends that gone this way, in Academy, like ITA, IME, AMAN - Brazilian names for Aeronautics Tech Institute, Military Institute of Engeneering, Black Needles Military Academy. I´ve been with these friends many times, as a guest, in their training, eg: firing range, sniper range, scouting, and mainly on weekends we get together for many hours of soccer and beer.
Answering your question: I´m a 5.7 feet man, 75 kilos. I could carry, with no stress, no dificulties, a FN-FAL 7.62, 3 clips, a knife - Tramontina Commander III, my watch - titanium, Berlin´s Station like, the clothes thay lended me, and a backpack with equipament.
This is somewhat heavy - I´ve heard that the rifle weiths about 4kg, plus the backpack with some 6 kg. And me: 75kg. The "mission" was a simple walk to the shoothing range, and then pop off some rounds, wich I´ve paied for.
Sniper/Scout Range is somewhat the same, but the rifle weights more, double I think. And some clips too, the same equip, bla bla bla, and this range is really tiring. It comprehends a big run - RUN!!! - and recoinessance of terrain. As u could think: my rifle was empty, yes. No ammo for me in that one. And: our rifle has almost the same noise the PSG1 does - but it is bolt action, and so.

Hope I helped, and i could carry a 9mm too, but i didn´t want to pay for it too.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Thanks, Evil Joe and CAVERNA2K!:)

So it sounds like if you carry an AR or a SMG, you don't carry an extra AR or SMG. That's what I wanted to know.:)

But I was surprised by Evil Joe's input that most infantries don't carry handguns!! I guess the reliability of your weapon must be REALLY important then!! So jamming must be out of question!

hmmm, I thought they carried some kind of backup weapons...

GHOST_IceCoLd

Your Daddy!
Oct 21, 2000
www.teamghost.com
Here you go!

Grunt / Infantrymen: 1 M16A2, 6 Mag's (30 Rounds each), a few frag's, Flare's, Star Burst etc.

Squad Leader & Fire Team Leader's: 1 M16A2, 6 Mag's (30 Rounds) 203 Attachment, frag's for 203,
Flare's, Star Burst etc

Sniper's: 1 Sniper Rifle, 3-6 case's of Rounds (20+ per Case), 1 Side Arm.

Officer's: 1 side arm, Mag's 2-4 (depend's on weapon). Some officer's if in an infantry unit will carry what there unit is assigned.

Ruck Sack (MOLY Pack) a.k.a back pack!: 2 pair's of Uitility's, 1 extra pair of Boot's, 2 week's worth of underwear & sock's (That mean's you will be wearing the same a few time's over!). Skive shirt's (Green), MRE's, Smoke's/DIP, Camo paint, first aid kit, Gask Mask, wrriting paper/pen, and any other personal stuff you might want to take. Not recommend tho.

Anyway's I hope this help's. As for the Ruck Sack that's what my normal sack look's like, on average its around 60lbs. But can weigh more if I have to carry other stuff.

Cpl Sheppard USMC
a.k.a IceCoLd
MOS: 0481 = Beach Reconnaisse/Specilist (Not Special Force's)

Evil Joe

I Will Kill You
Feb 13, 2000
Don't look at me I dont write up unit SOP's and CQ's... but for a patrol that is typical. A patrol is designed to go out and gather info about the area near the friendly possession. Their are different types of patrols as well and each has their own "loadouts" ammo wise based on the CO and platoon leaders discretion and of course the platoon seargent.

The big thing I think he was asking though is do they carry multiple weapons and the point is that conventional infantry DOESN'T they carry their rifles or carbines but don't have a backup weapon. You get a jam you clear the jam (which usually takes only seconds). Infantry don't carry a rifle and a smg and a pistol etc.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Thanks, GHOST_IceCoLd. That was pretty informative and easy to read(important)!
I appreciate very much:)

The imfantry men carry a lot more ammo than I first assumed.:)

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
and thanx Evil Joe for clearing the wepon question out!

So in INF if I try to loadout like the RL infantry, all the other guys might outgun me(since they carry truck-full of weapons and ammos)...:D

Robertson

MarSec/Sentinel Team Captain
Sep 19, 2000
www.marsec.f2s.com
I know what you mean, theres a guy that plays Inf with us at our LAN parties who tends to load up with at least 3 different weapons each game and can still run pretty well.

With luck this might be fixed with the next patch when there's more of a penalty on speed and stamina attached to bulk. It would be satisfying to see him stagger behind us and run out of breath as the rest of us advance into the distance, lol ;)

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
One soldier can commonly carry up to 50 pounds or more of equipment during an infiltration into the AOR. However, the load is reduced upon recon outside the AOR.

The weapon load is different depending on the mission. A normal fire team will carry 3 M-16's, 4 M-9 or M-11's, 1 M-60 or SAW and 1 M-203 gunner. Remember, the 3 M-16's include two people carrying normal M-16's (the second M-16 gunner is the Assistant M-60 gunner). The third M-16 gunner is the M-203 gunner.:

M16A2, M-9 or M-11 with 60 rounds, four grenades (various types...depending on mission), claymore mines if needed, trip and signal flares, 180 rounds of 5.56 (I'm in the Air Force and that is our basic load for rounds but can increase to 270), Night Vision, and Thermal Scope, Flashlight, Medkit, Whistle, Flak Vest (if on guard, not patrol), Bullet Proof Vest, Helmet (if on guard, but not patrol), Canteen 1 or 2 quart, and various other equipment.

Again, the weapons and load depends on the mission. But it is SOP to carry at least two types of weapons per person. The weapon types are normally decided before the mission is briefed. And the handguns can be replaced with MP5's or GAU's. We try to ensure each member has one long range and short range weapon. But, it really depends on the mission.

If you are running stealth and covert ops, you don't want to be hampered with too many weapons or equipment, per person. You are only taking what you need. But handguns usually is always taken with a long range weapon.

To let you all know, I was in Rwanda during the Civil War (which still continues to some extent) in 1994. I landed with a 44 man team and my primary position was the M-203 gunner. I carried:

1 M-16A2 270 rounds
1 M-9 60 rounds
1 Thermal Imager (yes the big one, but charger and TI support equipement always stayed at CP (command post).
1 Night Vision
2 2 quart Canteens
Flak and Bullet Proof Vest
30 rounds of HE 203 rounds
2 Claymore mines
1 large Medkit
1 Scope Shield Radio w/mike and large antenna

Was this all heavy...sure as hell was! But, we didn't carry every piece of equipment every minute. Except the weapons, ammo and protective gear. You would drop and hide some equipment if you needed to patrol a danger zone. Again, to answer your quetion...yes, it is normal to carry more than one weapon, per person.

GHOST_IceCoLd

Your Daddy!
Oct 21, 2000
www.teamghost.com
Prophetus][PuF][

Prophetus][PuF][

Is right on the money! Patrol's are a different thing, I know in my unit when we go on patrol's we have a squad 14 member's one squad leader (Me). We carry 3 fire team's with a point man, and 1 heavy gunner (mortar, or 240 Gulf gunner!) and one radio man.

Patrol's run for 4-8 hour stint's. I have been on that have taken longer upwards of 10-12 hour's. We carry Warrior Gear (Like a vest riging system!), with flack and cover/boonies!. Also carring NVG's if night time is coming or during are patrol.

Ice

Mad_Dog

Voice Of Reason
Mar 27, 2001
Soviet Canuckistan
www.planetunreal.com
is there a formula to determine what bulk works out to in RL pounds? i try to keep my bulk under 20 (M16 with acog, suppressed mp5, grenades and knife) and i hope this pays off if and when bulk ever becomes more realistic.

Mad_Dog

Voice Of Reason
Mar 27, 2001
Soviet Canuckistan
www.planetunreal.com
is there any way to determine what bulk works out to in RL pounds? i try to keep my bulk under 20 (M16 with acog, suppressed mp5, grenades and knife) and i hope this pays off if and when bulk ever becomes more realistic.

Mad_Dog

Voice Of Reason
Mar 27, 2001
Soviet Canuckistan
www.planetunreal.com
is there any way to determine what bulk works out to in RL pounds? i try to keep my bulk under 20 (M16 with acog, suppressed mp5, grenades and knife) and i hope this pays off if and when bulk ever becomes more realistic.