I need a lesson in jumping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Are there any hard and fast rules about jumping when engaging in medium range to close range combat. I have a bad habit of hitting, dodge-dodge-jump in any of the four dodging/strafing directions and that jump that I tag on the end of my double dodges is getting me killed often. :( :D

A friend of mine told me to quit jumping because he is able to easily predict where I'm going to land and fire underneath there with weapons that cause splash damage. :eek:

Ultimately what I need to know is when do you absolutely have to jump and when should you and could you avoid it.

Thanks, Prozac :)

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Naturally, you want to dodge or jump after a projectile is fired at you, not just any old time. It takes a quick reaction, which I don't have, so I dodge around randomly and get killed. You can't just stand there either...

Double jumping is usually ok at very close range where it takes you out of your opponent's FOV.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Dodge. And not always in the same pattern. The important thing is don't hop all around like your mouse is on fire - keep yourself under control. Also, don't just dodge left and right... move backwards sometimes.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
When your opponent is using mid/long range hitscan - use very erratic/fast strafing. Never jump straight up.

When your opponent is using complete spam down a hallway (example: link projectiles down the 50 shield hallway on rankin) - I prefer double jumping here because 9 times out of 10 your opponent won't take into account anything other than your horizontal movement.

When your opponent is using short range projectiles - dodge, and at really close range you might have to double jump (to get out of range of splash damage and also confuse your opponent because you're above him).

The best thing you can do is to play someone 1v1 then ask them for the demo from their perspective. You'll easily pick up places where you can improve by seeing how others take advantage of your weaknesses.

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
Raffi_B said:
The best thing you can do is to play someone 1v1 then ask them for the demo from their perspective. You'll easily pick up places where you can improve by seeing how others take advantage of your weaknesses.
Hey, that's a good idea..

I have a serious issue double jumping - I do it as reflex. If someone springs a surprise attack on me I just start whacking the jump button. it's probably responsible for about 10% of my deaths :/

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
I think they just know the maps really well, and have taken the various routes through them so often that they have it pretty much perfected. Unless they have some magic secret technique, of course. Or hax.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Argosax said:
i´ll take the opportunity to ask one question: how do the pros to move so damn fast?

i'll make the assumption that since you're relatively new (low post count) that you're really wondering how zip around so quick, not that they know the maps and whatever.

it's a little trick, and anyone that's going to get any points at all has to learn it, the maps are just too big.

you hold your forward button down constantly, then quickly turn your mouse to the left and at the same time hit right-right-jump and then quickly turn your mouse forward.

kinda think like your throwing your right shoulder to break down a door but at the same time do a double dodge with your shoulder into the door....

does that make sense?

go spectate someone in a DM/TDM/CTF server that has a lot of points, then watch how they are always quickly turning to the left and right constantly to cover distance.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I personaly had a huge problems with players that only move foward me while double jumping constantly. Especialy when i use rockets, the splash damage don't cause much trouble until he land again. But now that i shot exacly when he land, it's not a problem anymore.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Hanover_Fist said:
i'll make the assumption that since you're relatively new (low post count) that you're really wondering how zip around so quick, not that they know the maps and whatever.

it's a little trick, and anyone that's going to get any points at all has to learn it, the maps are just too big.

you hold your forward button down constantly, then quickly turn your mouse to the left and at the same time hit right-right-jump and then quickly turn your mouse forward.

kinda think like your throwing your right shoulder to break down a door but at the same time do a double dodge with your shoulder into the door....

does that make sense?

go spectate someone in a DM/TDM/CTF server that has a lot of points, then watch how they are always quickly turning to the left and right constantly to cover distance.
:stupid:

Wall dodges are quicker again, jump & shoulder* the wall & quickly double-tap to dodge away & then jump again - you can cover the maximum amount of, [unaided] distance this way.

eg: Campgrounds, vials ledge to LtG or vice versa, from vials: jump up into the wall on your right & then dodgejump off it over to the LtG ledge, or [& this seems to work online for me more than the previous method] double jump & then dodge.

*nice Han

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Make a use of your opponent's ping. Dodge like crazy if his/her ping is higher than yours and they're using long range projectile weapons. Get closer and dodge only when they fire at you. Ping will affect this, so try and predict where they'll shoot first and then dodge, because you'll lose a few seconds hitting the dodge key and waiting for server coordination... eh, you get the idea.

Good luck!

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
something like confucius

Many people posted what I was going to already say. Dodge-jump at an angle like Hanover said when you need to get from point A to B. But in combat it's a whole new game.

When you're in close range combat my best bet would be dodging and possible dodge-jumping. Do you're evasion after the projectile is fired, this let's you have the freedom to do crazy but predictable moves without suffering. This of course only works with projectile weapons, not the hitscan ones like the lightning gun and shock rifle. In those cases strafing like a madman is a good way to avoid the enemy's fire. As far as more spammy weapons go--like the link gun and mini--my favorite tactic is using cover. Having a wall between you and hundreds of bullets is better than any dodging.

And of course, watching demos and simply playing the game is the best way you'll learn.

I hear, and I learn nothing. I see, and I understand. I do, and I know.

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
Remeber that you do have some form of air control, when you jump you should make little hooks if you are in close to avoid simply being in a striaght line from where u were, any good person with decent twich skills will be able to blind 180 and spam u with rocks if you dodge jump in close if they see the angel of departure.

Also the back dodge, while it is kind of a pain to learn, simply hitting down down, while your engaged with a target is a great way to get out of spam range if ur inc lose about 80% of the time people spam at your feet in front of you, dodging directly back pretty much takes you out of damage range and alternativly give you more time to use hitscan against them.

The reson "pro's" look like they are moving so much faster than you is b/c they are doing alot more while moving. If im walking down an empty hall way, im not jsut walking in a striaght line until I "SEE" someone, I simply assume that some guy is going to be jumping around the corner with tri rocks ready to plaster me on the gorund, so move accordingly, just b/c there's a clear path to the destination you want, doesnt mean u have to go in a striaght line to get there.

Get places in abnormal ways and youll find you live alot longer in general, learn to play the game you want. You should always know where you're going, dont just run from room to room like 70% of ut players do, be three moves ahead of yourself.

Last edited:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
The only time I double jump is when like I doubletap a movement key and it doesn't register as a dodge because I've just dodged very recently, so only my jump key registers. I hate jumping. :\ I hate it when other people do it too lol.

Last edited:

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
Bullet10k said:
The only time I double jump is when like I doubletap a movement key and it doesn't register as a dodge because I've just dodged very recently, so only my jump key registers.

I do that a lot, and hope no one was watching.

howlatnight

Jan 8, 2006
Raffi_B said:

Hand them over RAFFI! :) I suck at dodging. I dodge into more projectiles that I dodge away from. To be better I feel like I would need a max payne 2/Fear kind of slow motion.
I rely on my aim to save me which since its not totally great I usually wind up taking more damage then I give. Even when I net positive I usually end up taking more than I give because I like to time the 100 and I'm a health scrounger.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Ice Dragoon said:
If you really want to put your jumping skills to the test, get a trial level. you can learn all kinds of fancy jumping!
Yeah but none of that fancy jumping will save you from a good player.