I need a lesson in jumping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
He said good players. ;)

Jumping a lot will only get you killed. Period. It doesn't matter at all if you can make it across some stupid jumps in a crappy AS trials map; what matters is that you can avoid fire from a good player, both hitscan and projectile. Nothing will really get you there except practice, watching others, and making an effort to change the way you play.

I have a bad habit of jumping at the wrong time as well. Rather than jumping into projectiles, I usually dodge off of ledges and get taken out by hitscan on the way down because it's really easy to see where I'm going. You're not going to get anywhere unless you can recognize what you're doing wrong and then work on fixing it with a purpose. For me, that would require acknowledging the fact that I jump off ledges a lot and then make an effort to not do that.

Ice Dragoon

Yes, we have Flack.
Apr 8, 2006
Lost...In the Dragon Realms
Turns2Ashes said:
He said good players. ;)

Jumping a lot will only get you killed. Period. It doesn't matter at all if you can make it across some stupid jumps in a crappy AS trials map; what matters is that you can avoid fire from a good player, both hitscan and projectile. Nothing will really get you there except practice, watching others, and making an effort to change the way you play.

I have a bad habit of jumping at the wrong time as well. Rather than jumping into projectiles, I usually dodge off of ledges and get taken out by hitscan on the way down because it's really easy to see where I'm going. You're not going to get anywhere unless you can recognize what you're doing wrong and then work on fixing it with a purpose. For me, that would require acknowledging the fact that I jump off ledges a lot and then make an effort to not do that.
that depends on what the person chasing you is using. like a shock rifle will take forever to kill someone with

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
Ice Dragoon said:
that depends on what the person chasing you is using. like a shock rifle will take forever to kill someone with

:eek:The shock rifle is the most powerful weapon for mid to long range when someone good is using it. Maybe even powerful enough to be unbanlanced.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I think first, the best thing you can do for yourself, is try to first brake any bad movement habbits you have, by just focusing on not doing them, think of what kind of movements you wanna be able to do, and practice them, until you can simply think of what you wanna do, then do it. Vs other players, or just running around in an empty map. Is sounds silly, but you wanna know you even can do something, before you try to apply it to an actual situation.

Then when you actually do play people, start trying to apply the mentality of changing how you move to your opponents weapon. That in itself, as we all say it, makes sense, and seems easy, but I'd imagine it really is the hardest part. I personally don't remember how I got any good at simply identifying a weapon in an opponents hand, I guess I just learned it the hard way. Sometimes, it can make a huge difference if you know before they fire it, seeing it fired at you being the easiest way.

Then naturally, you try to apply these moves.

Most times people will lead with hit-scan, so the best way to start is: See your opponent, and don't dodge. Strafe about irradically as they fire the scans at you. If they change out and throw a projectile, you get to test your reflexes.

Ice Dragoon

Yes, we have Flack.
Apr 8, 2006
Lost...In the Dragon Realms
well the AVRiL is the most powerful normal weapon in the game but shock is more convenient. AVRiL is like a one shot does the trick gun(if you hit someone directly)

Three shots? i thought it was four...maybe the sheild really does save my but in VCTF...

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Ice Dragoon said:
well the AVRiL is the most powerful normal weapon in the game but shock is more convenient. AVRiL is like a one shot does the trick gun(if you hit someone directly)

Sounds like grounds for an AVRiL vs. ShockRifle duel. I know which side I'd choose. :lol:

someguyinachair

Apr 15, 2006
when dodging, do any of u double tap the move buttons? like if ur strafing, do you ever double tap right or left. i also have a serious problem in dodging and shooting at them at the same time. i hate it when i have like a rocket launcher in my hand trying to dodge and shoot and the other guy manages to kill me with a lightning gun at close proximity. it's hard shooting and dodging at same time for me i guess because i try to move reft and light constantly

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
neilthecellist said:
Maybe I'm not catching on... Or were you replying to a different post, -AEnubis- ?
He's replying to himself since no one has has bothered to. ;)

Anyway, tbh I don't think that Ice Dragon is being serious anymore. I just get that feeling after he mentioned the avril.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
someguyinachair said:
when dodging, do any of u double tap the move buttons? like if ur strafing, do you ever double tap right or left. i also have a serious problem in dodging and shooting at them at the same time. i hate it when i have like a rocket launcher in my hand trying to dodge and shoot and the other guy manages to kill me with a lightning gun at close proximity. it's hard shooting and dodging at same time for me i guess because i try to move reft and light constantly

Learn. Just start dodging without shooting, go back to Adept bots and practice. Believe me, you'll get it at some point.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Thanks for all the jumping tips peeps. I've found out 1 thing for sure that I needed to learn and that is to stay low to the ground when in close range combat.

I'm now either blocking with shield or dodging away from many of the flak and rox fire that used to vex me so. :)

Thanks again, Prozac :2thumb: