Spoondog's CTF-Hydro64 Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
After keeping us drooling over screenshots for the past several weeks, Cory "Spoondog" Spooner has finally released his newest creation, CTF-Hydro64. This map features some of the most realistic visuals in a UT2004 map, with lighting comparable to Half-Life 2. That's not to say, however, that gameplay is lacking. Spoondog has used this visuals in such a non-obstrusive way so that gameplay and flow remain unhindered.
Hydro-power dams have proven to be a favoured battle place in the tournaments. Now here's the ultimate one - a previously undiscovered piece of antiquity, nestled in the middle of a beautiful, rolling valley. Now revived, no longer is it the harmless creator of power... but the perfect CTF killing ground.
Spoondog has also put together a write-up of his work on the map, with details on how the map was constructed as well as his personal thoughts and ideas on the design process.
Download CTF-Hydro64 (11.3 MB) from BeyondUnreal FileWorks

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
This made me play UT2004 for the first time in ages.

I think someone just got a job ;) (ops i see hes already got a job in the industry :eek: )

Breathtaking map, simply amazing.
I found it a bit too complicated tho or i did the misstake to try to play it like it was Hydro-16 :)

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Exelent work indeed. The bots don't seem to use all the path and i saw some bots having difficulties geting out of the water. And they are always using the path that lead right in the center after they take the flag. Alot of cool meshes and good outside ambiance. The water sound is out loud though.

The flag rooms remind me of Half life 2 a lot

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Kantham said:
Alot of cool meshes and good outside ambiance. The water sound is out loud though.
I agree with you that some of the sounds (the water in particular) are a bit noisy...

Oh well. I just played this map, and :eek: wow is it ever good. :D

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
I'm not a great CTF lover but this looked so great that I dl-ed and gave it a try.
Great looking map with an excellent layout.

And amazingly for a map that looks this good, I get no slow-down at all...even in the large open air section.

Excellent work, I never thought the UT2 engine could look this good and run this well.