(Voice) OK, what's wrong

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Attached screen shots of my settings. I can't get voice to work. I'm using XP. I have my "active public channel" bound to my mouse4, and "active team channel" to mouse5. When I get on the server, I see the "connected to _____ channel" messages. I press the appropriate button and see the message "now chatting in ______ channel." But, I do not see any volume bar, and no one can hear me.

Yes, my headset/mic works in Windows.

Attachments

• Voice1.JPG
    Voice1.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Voice2.JPG
    Voice2.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Im kinda having the same problem that you are having as well. My question to you is, do ya have an onboard sound card or slot card. And to everyone else, when you speak, should you be able to hear yourself? If the answer is no, then i get the point hehe

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Yes indeed it does goes down, i just dont notice the volume bar and such like renegade said. There arent any servers that have VoIP disabled are there. I thought it was automatic for every team game. I think ill check that out.

Hedge

Wish I was with her
Sep 12, 2003
out in the boonies
Visit site
Hey ren, go into the input options and click on the customize controls button. Scroll down until you see the option "activate microphone" or such. Set it to whatever button you wish and then press and hold it down to speak while in the game.

Interestingly enough, the voice chat on my computer didn't want to work last night at frag bu.

Yogi_

own
Feb 17, 2004
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
To get mine working, I had to go into my sound control panel recording properties... and under microphone, I have an advanced button. In there, I have a checkbox for "Microphone +20dB Boost". I had to tick that off for it to work.

I think that is something specific to a Soundblaster Live! card, so if you have one of those, it's worth a try.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Hedge said:
Hey ren, go into the input options and click on the customize controls button. Scroll down until you see the option "activate microphone" or such. Set it to whatever button you wish and then press and hold it down to speak while in the game.

Interestingly enough, the voice chat on my computer didn't want to work last night at frag bu.

That did the trick.

I was confused in thinking the "active public channel" was the key I needed to speak.

Thanks everyone.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Well either
a. People ignore what I broadcast
or
My voice system isn't working.

But I have a SB and the +20 issue might explain things.

Frequent Visitor
Jun 2, 2000
Visit site
Yogi_ said:
To get mine working, I had to go into my sound control panel recording properties... and under microphone, I have an advanced button. In there, I have a checkbox for "Microphone +20dB Boost". I had to tick that off for it to work.

I think that is something specific to a Soundblaster Live! card, so if you have one of those, it's worth a try.

It's not just SB-My asus onboard has it.

Between the above, and not knowing what key to press, seems to be the majority of peoples problems.

F=Push to talk
P=Public
I=Team
O=Local

P,I,O selects where you want to be.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Not seeing the volume on screen is prolly because your screen is set too wide. The volume bar is on the very left edge of the screen, and might fall behind the sides of the screen. Try adjusting your monitor.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
_Zd_Bee_ said:
Not seeing the volume on screen is prolly because your screen is set too wide. The volume bar is on the very left edge of the screen, and might fall behind the sides of the screen. Try adjusting your monitor.

Also, if the game volume doesn't go waaaaay down when you active microphone, then it's not working.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Burning Fish said:
I haven't been able to order the bots, they don't respond and I do hold the "Activate Microphone" while speaking. I'm using a normal microphone on my soundcard.

You have to install the Microsoft Speech SDK.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
does the meter appear on the left, and if so, does it rise and lower with your voice?

I found out last night that a big reason some microphones won't work on Creative Cards is thanks to their recorder. Go into your Volume controls in MediaSource Player or PlayCenter 3 and where it has the RED VOLUME CONTROL click above the volume control, and change it to Microphone instead of "What You Hear" or Analog or whatever it is set to. Found this bug last night.

Burning Fish

My brain hurts!
Dec 30, 2003
Holland
www.burningfish.nl
Thanks for the tips. I haven't started to talk online. I was talking about giving bots orders, just in Instant Action, after that I'll try to get the online talking to work :p, so thx for the feedback but can you also help me with my actual problem?