Your favourite thing in UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
So whats your favourite thing in UT3? Is it a map, powerup, character, gametype, you name it as long as its UT3 :cool:

Mine would have to be the return of the UT1 armour system and the adjustments made to it.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
When I get right down to it, I think what keeps bringing me back is the movement. I love the hybrid UT/2k4 approach. I can still hop around many of the maps, but it still feels heavy and grounded.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
The power-up/item system is certainly better than the one from UT200x, and allow for more customization (nearly all custom UT200x maps featured 1 of each weapon+50 shield+100 shield).
And CTF is IMO the best one of all the UT series.

Too bad nobody is playing it.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
I'm with Sijik on this one. You just can't beat the little intricacies that dodging and wall dodging give you. I'm still baffled as to why this idea hasn't been used in another twitch fps. 0.o

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Editor, but I'm tired of their cheap looking lightning and vertex lightning. Vegas 2 looks like **** in some cases, while trying Radiant proved me that working with RealLife environments is more appropriated than working with UE-ANY.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
True, but still, since I mostly work with BSP I'd appreciate to have a radiosity effect on those lightmaps. Cod4's engine also has a sort of projected sun light, that when it is mixed with the lightmaps it really gives it all a very neat look in bright versus dark areas.

Vertex lightning works well with dark meshes with tons of decent normal maps on though.
Like gears or UT3 for example.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
All you have to do is fake it. Thats how it has been done the last 8-9 years. You can also hold down Control + L and it helps you out with the radiosity. Unreal Engine does have a full radiosity\ambient lighting system called beast although thats not available to the public and from what Ive heard of it I don't think anyone would want to use it as long as the rendering times are :p

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
True, but still, since I mostly work with BSP I'd appreciate to have a radiosity effect on those lightmaps. Cod4's engine also has a sort of projected sun light, that when it is mixed with the lightmaps it really gives it all a very neat look in bright versus dark areas.

Vertex lightning works well with dark meshes with tons of decent normal maps on though.
Like gears or UT3 for example.
BSP is on the way out, though. It's down to strictly Building blocks. There's some maps that are pretty much entirely Static Meshes, with zero or near-zero BSP. It won't fully disappear, of course, but you won't see it being used to make much of the level anymore, I think.

And yeah, the lighting is WAY better here than UE2. Remember the ugly shadows Static Meshes cast in 2k4? It makes me cringe. I see none of that here.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Combos.
Especially doing one while flying off a jumppad or other situation where the other guy is not expecting you to pull it off.