XP Pro and FDISK Question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
Right click on the drive in Explorer and select "Format"

Alternatively, more advanced options can be found in:

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Computer Management -> Expand Tree to "Storage" -> Disk Management

Something like that, anyway. (I'm using 2000 ATM)

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
I don't want to format the drive with xp info. The drive is going in a win 98 machine. Wouldn't it put the xp format on the drive?

I finally was able to delete the primary partition and create a new one. But when my win98 CD tried to format the drive, it went to 69% and just stopped. I think i either have a loose connection, or something more serious is going on. What it's doing now is this:

When i try to boot up into the bios by pressing the delete key, it won't go into the bios. it did this several times yesterday. It would display the processor info and count the RAM and say that's it's ok, then it just says "Waiting..." after that and sits there forever and does nothing.

i'm wondering if a bad connection might be giving me problems with the bios and that's also what caused it to go to 69% and stop. That or something is going bad.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
QUALTHWAR said:
I don't want to format the drive with xp info. The drive is going in a win 98 machine. Wouldn't it put the xp format on the drive?

I finally was able to delete the primary partition and create a new one. But when my win98 CD tried to format the drive, it went to 69% and just stopped. I think i either have a loose connection, or something more serious is going on. What it's doing now is this:

When i try to boot up into the bios by pressing the delete key, it won't go into the bios. it did this several times yesterday. It would display the processor info and count the RAM and say that's it's ok, then it just says "Waiting..." after that and sits there forever and does nothing.

i'm wondering if a bad connection might be giving me problems with the bios and that's also what caused it to go to 69% and stop. That or something is going bad.

you should be able to format the hd into fat32 or simple fat. I am not entirely sure what's best for a win98 machine but fat doesnt support very big hd so you'll be formatting in fat32. if you ever have the urge to format a hd for xp you'll have to pick "ntfs".

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
with both drives in the XP machine and booted into xp, click
start>my computer>right click the drive to check>properties>tools>check now>check both fixx error and recover bad sectors, exit out and reboot.
It will take a bit to check the drive when it boots back up. When it`s done, try to reformat it like you did before when it errored out at 65%.

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
The thing is... i was able to fdisk the drive. i deleted the primary partition and then created a new one successfully. At this point, there is nothing on the drive. Then i put my win98 cd in and it said i needed to format and it was at this point when it stuck at 69%. The way i inderstand it, during the formatting if there was a problem with bad sectors, etc, it should find these spots and mark them. Basically doing what you're saying with checking the disk.

But now i'm having a problem booting into the bios. It just won't go. I'll mess with it tomorrow and see if there is any correlation between temperature and not being able to get into the bios. It seemed like I was able to get into the bios fine when I first started working on it today, but later on it wouldn’t go. Same thing happened yesterday.

Maybe something is going bad and the temp is messing with it after awhile. If it’s not a poor connection, it might be difficult to troubleshoot without spare parts. I suppose there is an outside chance the keyboard is going bad.