xmp wiki project

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jake_weeeeeeee

Jan 2, 2004
about: the xmp wiki project

xmp has seen a lots of ups and downs in the past time. many people have contrubuted to this game in its different implementations. currently we witness some sort of revival of unreal 2 xmp (with running master server, some active servers and lots of noobs) while the development of utxmp is taking yet another break.

while thinking about the idea to put up more servers (now for u2xmp, later for utxmp) and after browsing for all sorts of information about xmp i came to some comclusions:

1) much more information about server administration, the mods/mutators, maps and the game itself can be found than i thought at first,
2) more and more of this information is currently vanishing, because sites go down and people move on,
3) there is no single source which contains all information.

so my idea was to collect all information that is currently still available in a wiki, which could be enhanced and edited by everyone. this could conserve all existing pieces of information, yet be flexible enough for all future developments. first, i thought about installing wiki software and create something new. now, i found the lonesome xmp page at en.wikipedia.org, which i think can be the starting point for further enhancements.

i would proceed as follows:
a) change the current "xmp"-page from redirect to a disambiguation page; there, differentiate between three types of xmp:
b) "expanded multiplayer" (the only page which currently exists); describe all goals and tactics common to both implementations, like one of the existing tutorials, but more detailed,
c) "unreal 2 xmp": the implementation basing on u2; describe all specials of this version, starting from name colorizer up to setting up a server,
d) "ut xmp": the total conversion currently under development by the free monkeys; maybe during development, publish the progress and the changes here; afterwards extend the page to something similar to the u2xmp page.

what do you think about the idea?

please help me by adding existing content or writing new articles about any missing details. everything would be appreciated, e.g.
- how to trigger the special raptor honk,
- do some super trick move,
- describe mapping tricks,
- set up an u2xmp server under linux,
- fix the utxmp respawn bug server-side.
- etc.

you can find the current xmp wiki page here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Xmp&redirect=no

weeeeeeee!
jake

Last edited by a moderator:

|SaP|Sammael

Dec 10, 2004
if you take a look at these 2 sites and take into account that me and reym are working on combining them on the .tk one with the .com address you might find its something like what you described:

www.xsa1.com
www.xsa1.tk

jake_weeeeeeee

Jan 2, 2004
aiKo said:
if you take a look at these 2 sites and take into account that me and reym are working on combining them on the .tk one with the .com address you might find its something like what you described:

www.xsa1.com
www.xsa1.tk
i know those sites. i like em. i also like the idea of using wikipedia as the info central of all xmp resources.

- everyone can immediately contribute
- wikipedia needs no technical maintenance and no server space, thus the information can be expected to last for a long time
- it would be a chance to collect all scattered (and dwindling) resources currently to be found at many different locations at one spot

not every type of content is suitable for a wiki anyway (e.g. your 8waystolose project). so there could be a nice combination of both types of sites.

just my 0.08 ringgit. ;)

pistos

Mar 18, 2004
jake: I'm all for the more information distrubuted about XMP the better. You have a good idea.

aiko: The stuff you guys have done at xsa1 is good. I have read through it before and thought it was very well done. It would be nice to have the same thing done for UTXMP. (Hint)

|SaP|Sammael

Dec 10, 2004
It would be nice to have the same thing done for UTXMP. (Hint)

At least 90% of the knowledge base information relevant to u2xmp is also relevant to UTXMP, maybe when utxmp is finally released bug free (or at least close) and becomes popular it may warrant its own specifics on xsa1 and wiki, atm we "do" have a utxmp movie/screenshot discussion area for utxmp but as the game isnt played that much that section is very "dead"

I see what you mean about everyone contributing towards it jake, that was, in fact the original idea of xsa1 once we had the basics set up, everyone in the community would have been able to add their configurations, ideas and tips, "but" as to date we're still working on those basics :lol: it turned out to be a lot more work than we planned ;). Perhaps once we're done with the knowledge library and are happy with it we'll open it to additions from more of the public etc :D, meanwhile, gj and gl with the wiki (though maybe run it through a spell/grammar checker ;), hehe)

jake_weeeeeeee

Jan 2, 2004
...andrelax said:
that's a good idea.
you could move or incorporate this link
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Mapping_For_UTXMP
ya, would be nice, of course. though i can't just copy it due to the copyrights.

another issue would be how to divide the information onto several different pages. wikipedia (or wikis in general?) seem to mostly rely on single, long pages. as some of the pages could get really lengthy maybe a finer division into general topics would be necessary, like

xmp (disambuguation)
expanded multiplayer (general howto and tactics)
u2xmp specials
utxmp specials
u2xmp: setting up a server
utxmp: setting up a server
xmp: mapping

doh? :)

dutch_gecko

Think Pink
Jun 16, 2004
www.dutch-gecko.co.uk
Most Wikis have a contents list and then each section as a subheading, but on the same page. Although I'm intrigued by this idea, I've usually relied on xsa1 for my trick learning :hmm:

jake_weeeeeeee

Jan 2, 2004
[BBF]PUNK said:
With the lack of tutorials available, I am making a few tutorials covering utxmp and map editing.They can be found here. woaz.no-ip.org
does that mean you are planning on putting this on the (yet to be created) wiki page? :D

jake_weeeeeeee

Jan 2, 2004
ok, i've started working on the wiki. first two changes are the new xmp disambiguation page and a short stub on ut:xmp. took me friggin' 4 hours - i'm a woob (wikinoob).
icon_eek.gif

feel free to enhance the two major pages on u2xmp and ut:xmp. almost everything is still missing. i also dead-linked to the article "Free Monkey Interactive" which has yet to be created. maybe the monkeys can add some stuff or give me permission to cut and paste the info from their web page?

if you want to help, please check for the basic rules of wikipedia. for all others: please respect the work of us trying to write and collect information on our fav games and refrain from vandalism. thanks.

oh, and btw: if anyone could tell me how to extend the {{Unreal}} article series box which appears in each article of the unreal category?

edit: only xanthosinmonophosphat gave me enough stamina to get the job done(tm). \o/