xenForo Upgrade Discussion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
There were several reasons, but the biggest one ifs that the vB developers have no interest in keeping up with PHP upgrades and they sit incompatible for ages. They had no plans to upgrade vB 4 past PHP 5.3 until tons of people were complaining about how buggy vB 5 was and they finally relented after over a yer of holding out on it. Now PHP 5.6 is out. Any bets on how long it is before they support that version of PHP?

There are quite a few other reasons like the fact that their new licensing sucks and just forces them to release major versions faster and internet brands is the monsanto of internet companies, but those really aren't the major reasons. xenForo is developed by the old core set of vB developers (so much so that Internet Brands tried to sue them a few years ago) and it mostly has the same set of ideals as vB had back in the good old days so I don't feel bad supporting them. They also have much more reasonable pricing and their licensing is just like old vB but cheaper with 95% of the features we really use.

Sounds good. Yeah, I REALLY don't like Internet Brands these days either for pretty much the same reasons. I think they're just living off the past success of vBulletin 4 now.

Out of curiosity, does it look like XenForo is as feature-complete then as vBulletin 4.2.2? It didn't look like it last time I checked. (which was a while ago)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Out of the box it doesn't have several things like social groups and user photo albums. I've found add-ons for most of that stuff but several of them are paid and we didn't really use them much anyway. If people really want them back, though, I'm not opposed to it. Most of them are one time fees.

Tags are one thing I'm on the fence about. I liked them but they also weren't really used for anything "real". However, I think over time we will figure out what we liked and didn't like and bring some of the features back. xenForo has a huge community of add-on developers (it seems even bigger than vB these days to me) that are pretty active and keep their add-ons pretty updated. You can find those here:

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/add-ons.28/

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
White skin definitely doesn't look too shabby at all. But where's the main BU logo that we all know and love?

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I'm using the Classic theme but I find the white b/g and amount of white to be a bit too much. Something in a grey-scale would be nice at sometime in the future. :)

[Edit]Actually I've just gone back to the Master them..... it's darker and easier on my eyes. Personal preferences and all that......... but this new board software is A1.[/Edit]

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hunter: If using the Master theme, it's here:

qwPxNzX.png