WoW Teaches Wrong Lessons?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Harlock

Married And Always Nagged
Dec 11, 1999
Riverside, CA (USA)
maanclan.com
When David Sirlin speaks, I listen. He is the founder of Sirlin.net, a website dedicated to game design, and the pursuit of the philosophy of "Playing to Win," which was recently re-published in expanded book form. He has also authored articles for several websites about game design and the theory of game design.

Sirlin's latest article appears on the Gamasutra website and deals with the life lessons that games can teach us, relating specifically to World of Warcraft. Just a quick gaming background on Sirlin: He is a tournament winning Street Fighter player. His insite comes mostly from the fighters genre. However, it does not matter what game background you come from, as most tournaments and games are very much the same at their core.

In the article, David shares his lessons learned with Street Fighter in direct comparison to lessons learned with World of Warcraft. Two very different games. It seems that while World of Warcraft shares more popularity than any other video game on the market, we can make a case that the lessons learned in most video games (self reliance, social interaction, strategy, and improvisation) are not the lessons learned in World of Warcraft. Infact, World of Warcraft is teaching the wrong lessons. Find the article HERE and read why.

Laugh as you may that a video game can teach a life lesson. As Sirlin points out, many games teach self reliance. The ability to problem solve. The ability the think on your feet. These are all things that are learned at the very core of a game, even if the visual shell is one of cartoons, violence, and other worldly beings.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
From the Article said:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Time invested should count for nothing in a fair game. It might take me 1 hour to learn a few nuances and gain a certain level of skill and you 1000 hours. The hours don't matter; only the knowledge and skill matter.

Laughable. World of Warcraft is a MMORPG, and as such is like the users 2nd life. Knowledge is gained through hours of hard work. WoW is fair in so far as it aims to replicate the dedication that learning a real life task takes, even though it is in fact removing any real life dedication from its most ardent players.

In an arcade game like SF, the idea that you can be as good after 5 minutes practice as someone who plays for 8 hours a day is possible. WoW does not subscribe to this ethos. In certain games, all that matters is excellent hand eye coordination and better reactions than who you play against. WoW is not this kind of game.

Also from the Article said:
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1. Investing a lot of time in something is worth more than actual skill. If you invest more time than someone else, you "deserve" rewards. People who invest less time "do not deserve" rewards. This is an absurd lesson that has no connection to anything I do in the real world. The user interface artist we have at work can create 10 times more value than an artist of average skill, even if the lesser artist works way, way more hours. The same is true of our star programmer. The very idea that time > skill is alien.

Oh really? How do you think that UI artist got so good at his job? Because he practiced and learned from thousands of hours doing his job. Just like you do in WoW and any other level-based game.

If nothing else, WoW teaches us that we can't be immediately successful in everything we do, but we can improve if we work hard and put the required amount of time in. Surely that's a great 'life message'?
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Harlock

Dec 11, 1999
Riverside, CA (USA)
maanclan.com
one_gundam_war said:
Call me old fashioned, but if you need your video games to teach you lessons as simple as this, you probably have a few things you need to work out.

Anything activity you do in your life will teach you something. If it did not, why would you want to be involved with it?

BobCobb

Society is a leech on me!
Sep 20, 2002
The Compound
Visit site
Activities teach us things if we want them too or not. WoW just teaches kiddies that they can succeed in life, without being as smart, successful, or sexy as George Clooney, which we all know is a lie.

Without a sharp wit and matching good looks you might as well die alone playing WoW.

Oh wait... :con:

I think this article raises a few minor good points, but I believe the notion that time is worthless is rubbish. You can't be born with the ability to do something extremely well, you have to actually practice over time.

The guy in the article says that people with level 60 have an unfair advantage over level 1's with the best skills ever. Well, how about the best level 60 player going against the worst level 60 player? The levels are only an unfair advantage if you aren't that level. In RPGs in general, the point is to get to a higher level. But underlying that level is also skill, and without it, your level is useless against someone else of similar level.

Something I might agree with is items, perhaps. Getting better loot for being in a team and just sort of sitting around, versus someone taking down a giant monster alone who works very hard, only to get horrible loot, is bad. Its worthless to do things alone, this is what WoW is teaching that is bad, in my opinion. You need to do things with everyone else in order to get all the phat loot. This is fine for extroverts, but as the article states, not introverts. You can get better either way if you do any work, but if you like to explore things alone is it worth it? This makes it a unsafe learning environment for introverts.

I feel that the writer of the article is correct in some ways of his analysis and perhaps misguided in others, but stating that its unhealthy no matter who plays it is going a bit far. It should be speaking to the introverts, not everyone else.

Last edited:

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
missPoopShoot said:
Knowledge is gained through hours of hard work.
I disagree. Knowledge is gained in one instantaneous moment of enlightenment, the very moment you "get it". Some people require concentrating for hours listening to explanations to reach it. Some don't.

missPoopShoot said:
WoW is fair in so far as it aims to replicate the dedication that learning a real life task takes, even though it is in fact removing any real life dedication from its most ardent players.
WoW is not realistic in that every task in it is designed to be doable by everyone, but everyone has first to jump through hoops for hours and hours. Everyone has to spend the same amount of time doing the same thing to be considered to have a X% mastery of it, which is completely disconnected from reality. I know I'll never be a good comedian on par with the best, not even if I dedicate the rest of my life to it. Affirming the opposite is the big WoW Lie® (and borders on communism, too :D).

missPoopShoot said:
Oh really? How do you think that UI artist got so good at his job? Because he practiced and learned from thousands of hours doing his job. Just like you do in WoW and any other level-based game.
I disagree here again. Toiling for hours is not all that it takes. I'll quote a former helicopter piloting instructor: "Some people simply aren't made for [piloting helicopters]. Yet they try and try again and fail, and can't acknowledge the simple fact that no matter how long they try, they won't succeed. They're also being a danger for everyone else in the meantime."
This attitude has a name, it's called "delusion" ;)

missPoopShoot said:
If nothing else, WoW teaches us that we can't be immediately successful in everything we do, but we can improve if we work hard and put the required amount of time in. Surely that's a great 'life message'?
In the real life one can be successful at first try. Not in WoW. In the real life one can be good at what one does no matter how others are doing, not in WoW. In the real life one can reach one's own top skill level with training, in WoW you can only reach predetermined levels that are the same for everyone.

And that's also why I don't play WoW: I won't treadmill pointlessly for hours just to reach a state of having access to the game's content. Instead I play a MMOG where there is no levels, where everyone has access to the same tools and can immediately use them to the full extent of their own skill.

olga said:
You can't be born with the ability to do something extremely well, you have to actually practice over time.
I disagree again, on both points. Not only we're all born with the capacity to do at least something very well, but we each take very different amounts of training to learn to do it better.
[Edit]I'll just give one very obvious and easy to understand example:
I sing in tune. Some people can't.

In essence, what BobCobb said.

Last edited:

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
I agree that most activities will teach you something, but if you don't know these lessons already, you need to rethink your priorities.

While a different kind of lesson, it is like saying "Playing proffessional football will teach you how to catch a ball." People SHOULD already have that knowledge and skill by the time they play.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
namu said:
[Edit]I'll just give one very obvious and easy to understand example:
I sing in tune. Some people can't.
Sorry, but you can be taught by a singing coach to sing in tune. Therefore, if you work at it, you become successful at it. Pretty invalid point really.

Edit: Maybe I'm just misinterpretting Sirlin's comments though. It seems like he thinks about life in terms of innate abilities, not the kind of skills which people learn (career skills) which means people can earn money and live life how they want to? Man, it was late when I posted last night anyway!

Last edited:

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
missPoopShoot said:
Sorry, but you can be taught by a singing coach to sing in tune. Therefore, if you work at it, you become successful at it. Pretty invalid point really.

What about people who are tone deaf?

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
Some people are born tone-deaf and won't ever be able to sing in tune no matter what. On the other hand some people sing in tune since birth. This is why it's a good example IMO :) The other big point where WoW is disconnected from reality is that it never takes the same amount of work for each person to learn to do something.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
namu said:
The other big point where WoW is disconnected from reality is that it never takes the same amount of work for each person to learn to do something.
Very true. Although as a counter-point, those who concentrate on learning a skill will 'learn' it quicker than others. I realise the amount of work it takes is essentially the same, but by the same token there is plenty of scope in games like WoW to build earning methods so you can learn much quicker than anyone else.

Using natural talents such as communication (bartering, scrounging etc...) will mean you're better at the game than anyone. I've made lots of sales (ergo leading to me being able to by materials to level my skills quicker) simply by using my sense of humour - something I was born with personally, but that translates to my character.

I take your point completely though. I just feel this Sirlin guy makes many statements that you can shoot down without much thought.

The Wiki on tone-deaf indicates two types of the condition. One is medical, the other can be treated by training the person to sing.

A person who is tone deaf lacks relative pitch, the ability to discriminate between notes. Thus one who is tone deaf is unable to accurately discriminate between musical notes and is thus also incapable of reproducing them. However, the particular quality of being tone deaf is descriptive of having difficulty or being unable to correctly hear relative differences between notes, while in common usage it refers to a person's inability to reproduce them accurately. The latter inability is most often caused by lack of musical training or education and not actual tone deafness.
Pretty interesting. :)

Last edited:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
namu said:
Some people are born tone-deaf and won't ever be able to sing in tune no matter what. On the other hand some people sing in tune since birth. This is why it's a good example IMO :) The other big point where WoW is disconnected from reality is that it never takes the same amount of work for each person to learn to do something.

The problem with your point Namu is that, yes, not everyone can learn everything and not everyone can be a helicopter pilot.
However in WoW, not everyone can be a helicopter pilot either. For example, If you play a warrior, then you can't use magic or fire a gun or a bow as well as a hunter. If you play a hunter you'll never be as good at melee as a warrior. Many character types can't use certain types fo weapon or armour at all, ever, no matter how long they play.
So as in life not everyone can be a helicopter pilot but in WoW, before your metaphorical birth you atleast get to choose whether you can fly a helicopter and if not, whether you migh be better at boats or cars or so. There are as many limits in WoW as in life.

From what i've read of the article the guy just seems to be a bit bitter that he can't play the game on his own. It is a MMORPG. This stands for Massively Multiplayer online role playing game. If, Blizzard made the game in such a way that you could do anything and everything on your own, then why make it multiplayer at all? The point in making better loot available to 5 man, 20 man or 40 man raids is that you get to play with other people and Blizzard are puposefuly forcing interaction with other players upon you for a blindingly obvious reason. If you wanted a single player game, then go get a single player game.

I'm a largely introverted person myself and play it, i rarely party up with people and solo 99% of my play time and though i'm not too keen on partying up i fully udnerstand the reasoning behind it.
If i could go solo and get gear as good as a 40 man raid could get then i would simply not raid or party up. I imagine a large amount of playes would be similar. In fairness as he states 40 so-so scientist might not have achieved what einstein did alone. However 40 men are more likely to defeat a giant monster or an army of monsters than a single man. It's such a strange comparison. Armies exist for a reasonin real life too, if a single talented soldier could do the job of 40 we wouldn't have armies in the real world.

As for the PvP... welll, it's not a perfect system but it's also a hard thing to monitor and rank up. it's main objective originally was to deter ganking with dishonour and toput a battleground mini game in as far as i believe. The ranking and rewards are an extra. I'm fairly sure medals are awarded to soldiers for time spent in service, certificates are given to blood donors for the amount of times they donated blood. If you invest more time you will have achieved more but if you were more skilled you could probably play less time and acquire the same reweards.
He himself says that the only way to be good at street fighter is to practice.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I agree with namu, as should everyone else. :p

If you don't know why, get a girlfriend or get married. The typical woman is the perfect example of what Sirlin is talking about, because they are totally not wired for the kind of thought that most video games require. Ever pop in Halo and tried to enjoy it with the wife and after hours and hours of her whipping her characters view up and down and all over the place she gets frustrated and stomps off? I have. It's something that CAN be learned but it take LOADS of time to learn, which is exactly Sirlin's point. I pick up a game and spend time learning it and doing well at it, and it takes me a few short hours. My wife picks up even the most simple of games and spends dozens of hours just trying to learn how to move in it.

This is exactly the same with any other kind of task, INCLUDING SINGING. Some people cannot be trained to have perfect tone, it's just a fact. If you've ever given voice lessons you will know this is true. Not only are they tone deaf, they also have other problems which prevent them from holding a tone.

Computer Programming? Can anyone really learn it? No. I've seen some veritable "pro" programmers (i.e. people making a buttload more money than me) that couldn't program their way out of a paper bag. And this applies very heavily to the games industry. How do you think people that have been programming games for 15 years like it when a 17 year old kid is hired to do exactly what they have been doing but better?

Harlock

Dec 11, 1999
Riverside, CA (USA)
maanclan.com
Blizzard responds to Sirlin in the most Imperialistic manner I know of. I'll let him explain:

I think Blizzard locked and later deleted all the threads on the worldofwarcraft.com forums that had to do with my article. I see censorhip is their solution (not censorship of me, but of all the players who wanted to talk about the topics I raised). Is it their right to delete these threads? Of course it is. It seems like a pretty juvenile thing to do though. Either the ideas have merit and should be discussed or they don't and should be attacked by the other players. Either way, censorship is a pretty unenlightened way of solving a problem. Chinese government.

I hope the problem is that I'm just a little blind and can't find any of the several threads that used to be in their general forum.

If any Blizzard representitives are out there, I'm asking you locked and deleted these threads.

--Sirlin

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Harlock said:
Blizzard responds to Sirlin in the most Imperialistic manner I know of. I'll let him explain:

Um. Ok. So, someone posts on the Blizzard forums something that is going to cause massive debate/flamewars among the users. Thread gets locked. Big f'ing deal. :lol: Censorship. Jesus Christ get over it... it's just a game.