Wow did UT3 get jacked up?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Decided to reinstall on my shiny new machine(after the old one died a painful death) and was astonished by how horrible the framerate was. Nearly all the maps I can get 60fps, but looking in certain sections my framerate would dip into the 40's and upper 30's for no reason. Looking online I found out that some peeps were putting in -onethread in the target section of their UT3 shortcut. I did this and voila, I earned an instant 10-15 fps in some spots. Apparently UT3 doesn't like dual core setups. Odd that I never had to this on my old quad core setup, but have read reports online that it is happening to these as well.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Would it fix my mouse lag? And does that work w/ Steam version?

For the Steam version, right click on the game in the Libary and select Properties. Then click Set Lauch Options and add -onethread or whatever parameter you want.

I'll have to try this myself...

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
That was a big problem when the game first came out for many. I never had the problem myself with any of my dual core builds.

I am pretty sure it was video driver issue for newly realeased high end cards. Both nvidia and ati had the issue. It drove many players away from the game. What hardware and drivers do you have installed?

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
That was a big problem when the game first came out for many. I never had the problem myself with any of my dual core builds.

I am pretty sure it was video driver issue for newly realeased high end cards. Both nvidia and ati had the issue. It drove many players away from the game. What hardware and drivers do you have installed?

8800gt with newest 257.xx drivers. Not at home so I can't give you the exact driver version. Was recently on 195.62 and 197.45 and both demonstrated same performance until I used the -onethread method. My new rig is

Vista 64 SP2
AMD Phenom II 555 @ 3.2ghz
7 gigs pc 6400

My old machine had a q6600 in it, but as I said there are a few posts stating their quad machines are experiencing the same symptoms.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
There were several threads about this mostly Vista problem, but also reported on XP.

This nearly 100 page thread found no solutions,

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=586465

You may want to see if any info is on the nvidia forums.

Heh thats the thread where I found out about the -onethread idea. I guess another solution would be to upgrade to Win7, but I don't have the money for that right now. Oh well, was just curious on how it ran on this rig.

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
That's the weird thing, I play it under Win 7 and there's no slowdown (or speed up w/ UE1 games) on my dual core system. Play on Linux using Wine and I see those problems...which can be fixed though.

I'm wondering if there's something in Windows 7 that fixes the same problems reported in XP & Vista. I use 64-bit version & nvidia drivers btw...

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
8800gt with newest 257.xx drivers. Not at home so I can't give you the exact driver version. Was recently on 195.62 and 197.45 and both demonstrated same performance until I used the -onethread method. My new rig is

Vista 64 SP2
AMD Phenom II 555 @ 3.2ghz
7 gigs pc 6400

My old machine had a q6600 in it, but as I said there are a few posts stating their quad machines are experiencing the same symptoms.

Win7 64Bit
Intel E6600
8800GT

No problems. Try running the latest UDK build, see what happens. It should help you see if your pc is missing something.

1x.

UT99 Instagib 'ladder' champion
Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Apparently UT3 doesn't like dual core setups. Odd that I never had to this on my old quad core setup, but have read reports online that it is happening to these as well.
Runs fine on my DC..

Maybe someone forgot to take a plunger to it .. ?? <>