UE2 - UT2kX WMA or MP3 to UAX and vice versa

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nyagrill

Dec 16, 2008
UT2004-

Hi again.I have 2 questions I'd appreciate help with.

I'd like to convert one of my mp3's or wma's to a uax file that can be used in my current map as an ambient sound.I do not wish to use ogg's in my maps because many players have music off while playing.

My second question is pretty much the opposite of the first.I like many of 2k4's ogg's(music) and would like to play them as MP3's or WMA's on my mp3 player.Is that possible using some sort of free or inexpensive program?

Also will I need special codecs for the above.

Has anyone used this?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/File-Editors/Dragon-UnPACKer.shtml

I'm really not even sure if that will help me.
I use XP Home SP3.

Thank you for your time and/or help.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Winamp allows you to transcode from OGG to MP3/WMA, many other programs as well, though.

UT2004 sounds must be uncompressed mono WAV files. And if players turn off their music you better respect that, otherwise your map will end up in their recycle bin faster than you can say "OGG Vorbis".

nyagrill

Dec 16, 2008
Thanks Wormbo.
So uax's must be uncompressed mono wav files.Can u recommend a program that will help me in doing this or can winamp do that as well?

I will try winamp for the ogg to mp3/wma conversion as u suggested.Also I am not wanting to over ride someones music preferences.I was going to make an ambient sound with low volume and a small radius just for realism in a particular area of my level.

I know you're a busy guy so I appreciate your time.

Thank you.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
uax is similar to a zip file that holds resources (audio files) for the game. You'd make a .ogg file then run the unreal "compiler" (may be able to import through UED to) to move the .ogg files into a .uax archive/package/whatever.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
No, you don't. Unreal Engine 2 only uses OGG files for music, but those OGG files aren't imported into packages. In-game sounds must be WAV, uncompressed and mono. No MP3, no OGG, no WMA, FLAC, AAC, you name it - nothing but plain old wave audio.