With reading this I Cry

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vance

Dec 7, 2005
Marion, VA
"Two of Unreal Tournament 2007's bigwigs took the stage at Midway's media event in late February to give the press a small but potent peek at the upcoming PS3 and PC shooter. Throughout the presentation, Mark Rein, vice president of developer Epic Games, stressed that they were showing “a lot of unfinished stuff, a lot of unpolished stuff." Honestly, you'd never know it.

While Rein did announce that the demo was running on a quad SLI rig (that's four blazing-fast NVidia GeForce 7800 GTX video cards running in unison), he was quick to point out that “you don't need all that to play UT." Of course, if you happen to have a few thousand dollars of PC hardware lying around when UT2007 is released, the game will put your PC through its paces. (PS3 owners won't have to worry.)"

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/pc/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060303181545178027&sectionId=1006

OMG,:eek: their goes the hope of maxing this game out.

In-The-Jungle

May 4, 2006
That's okay. By the time this freaking game is released, they'll have a vid card that can outperform a quad-sli setup with 7800s. I remember when my 6800GT was the ****, shortly after, the 7800GTX was shown and a single 7800GTX outperformed two SLIed 6800GTs.

. . . you feel any better? :D :D

Vance

Dec 7, 2005
Marion, VA
... a little. got new pc for Oblivion and Ut2k7 $$$too much$$$, and seeing this. oh well If this can't run it I will shoot myself in the foot. need life and hands for stuff.

Intel 3.8 CPU
2 GIB of Ram
2 7800 gt's

In-The-Jungle

May 4, 2006
Don't worry then, you'll be all right with those specs. I believe he said when the game's done a 6800UT or 7800GTX is recommended for medium-high settings. I imagine SLIed 7 serie cards will perform the task quite nicely. Maybe what he meant by unpolished etc.. is that the proper techniques/compression methods and stuff weren't applied yet, so the visuals are much more raw and harder to process. Kind of like having a raw 45MB .wav file, then converting it to a 11 mb 320kbps .mp3, but still preserving the sound quality perfectly. Make sense?

In-The-Jungle

May 4, 2006
Who cares scumbags?! Upgrade yo' foolass comps! Get a second job! A third even!

This is Unreal >> 2007 << !!

:D :D :D

In-The-Jungle

May 4, 2006
Ice, just out of curiousity, how old are you (I'm not gonna make fun, I'm only 17, I'd be a hypocrite)? If you're still a kid like me, and have a job, you should just save up. It won't be hard since you shouldn't have any bills. Few, if any.

Otherwise if you do work full-time, start saving now for some stuff. Little bits of money here and there saved up over the time that it will take for 2007 to be released. You could have a new comp by then just off that money. :)

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
For the record, benchmarks show that with current drivers, a Quad SLI system is often not much faster than a regular SLI system, and even sometimes slower.

Anyway, here's what I'm doing:

I have reserved around $1200 to spend on computer stuff (and I'll be getting a job this summer, so probably add another $1500-$2000 or maybe more). I just bought 2GB of some really nice memory. That's about all I can use now, but I'll be getting some brand new stuff in the future.

I'll wait for the UT2007 demo to get the majority of stuff. If I was going to get something right now it's looking like a S939 dual core Opteron 165 and a GeForce 7900GT, but who knows what things will be like in late 2006/early 2007 when the demo is hopefully out?

By the way, Vance, Brizz was referring to the fact that you said you had "2 GIB of Ram". He's poking fun at the fact that you used GIB. With regards to memory capacity, everyone still uses MB or GB, although MiB and GiB are techincally correct. As an aside, RAM is an acronym so it should be all capitalized.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah well, i updated to a AMD (64) 3700 @ 2.2 GHZ about 4 months ago, and i plan to use this 64 BIT technology with UnrealTournament 2007.

I'll have to pay more than just butter to run UT2007 quite well enough, i'll need a new card, a new mobo (PCI-e) and i'll head for the 7800 GTX, or maybe in the meaning time for a better card, forgive SLI, im not willing to pay for this overkill.

Anyone who thought that UT2007 will require SLI to run at maximum is surely wrong, but anyone who thought that Quad SLI would only run UT2007 to medium detail is SOOOOOO wrong. Quad silly :rolleyes:

Overall,
  • New mobo (price to check, will need a PCI-e mobo of course) about 120-150 $CAN
  • New GPU, like mentioned the 7800 GTX. I'll have to buy it from the US, i'd have to pay 548$ CAN for a ****ing MSI 6800GTX 258 MB here.
  • Will the PSU take the new material? If not, another 100$ CAN
  • Windows vista? For 64 BIT - Release price, Maybe around 200-250$ CAN or more.
  • New cpu? I don't know. Maybe? Another 200-400$ Can
  • ageia card?? 200$

That's about a good 1000$ Can, And that stuff will not even last a year or 2. Beside Vista, the PSU and the ageia card of course

Unless you really like long loading/Frame Rates/Poor Grafics and resolutions under 800X600. Console are more friendly since they run every games that are avalible for the console itself, you don't have to look at the system spec, it's all inside, and you pay half the price of a computer, that will match about the same perfomance as the console. This is stupid, this is marketing.

Last edited:

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
They were using a ridiculous resolution at that conference so every one could see how pretty the game is. You won't need more than one card for a resolution below 1600x1200, but you'll need a high end card at least for all the eye candy. I doubt UT2007 will be any more demanding than FEAR. UT2007 looks better, but it's also probably much more optimised.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Games like Farcry on the PC runs very fine with full details on my PC. I'd be pleased if UT2007 could run well with my current material.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I wouldn't get a 7800GTX if you can get a 7900GT for less money and better performance.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
I'm under the impression at current that a 6800GT oc should be able to push it Medium detail, 8x6.... am I close or do I just not have a chance?
1 Gig RAM
2.20 GHz AMD Athlon

Lruce

Transcending to another level
Jun 14, 2003
I'm seriously thinking of buying an XBox 360 and a mother of all HDTV's just about now, the PC stuff I have is OK for now