WINS over DHCP on a router?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Does anyone know how the hell to get WINS to work over a home router? I'm very saavy with Windows PCs and this is the one thing that has managed to elude me for a very long time. I'd really love to get at my share folders by using \\hostname instead of \\192.168.1.x like I've been doing for over a year now.

I'm using a Netgear WGRT614v6 with the most recent firmware. Windows XP Pro on a desktop and Windows 7 beta on a laptop (still had same problem before when the latpop was XP Pro)

EDIT: In case it matters, laptop is connecting via 802.11g and the desktop is plugged into the router with CAT5.

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Can't help, but it's on by default for me. We share the printer through a network, connected to a computer named ''WIDOWMAKER'' and we access the printer from other computers using: \\WIDOWMAKER\HP-PSC-1500, or something similar.
Maybe something you did turned it off? 'Cause I haven't turned it on (No idea how to).
We use Windows XP. And recently Windows Vista (Works on Vista too).
And yes, the router has DHCP on, but every device has a static LAN IP in the DHCP range, made sure of that 'cause I was tired of fooling around figuring out who's who.
And the laptops (Vista both of them) connect wirelessly to the printer through ''WIDOWMAKER'', using again ''\\WIDOWMAKER\HP-PSC-1500, provided ''WIDOWMAKER'' is turned on of course.
This works also for share folders, although we use them much less because the router is quite slow...

Or I am completely out of your league and have no idea what you're talking about (Possible :lol:)

Last edited:

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
On the pc you want to use to open the share on the other pc add a line to the hosts file (winsdows\system) that says:

192.168.0.x nameoftheothercomputer