WinME Zip assoc. broken

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Do_Or_Die

Aug 1, 2000
I've got a small problem. WinME comes configured to open zip files without having to use an external program such as WinZIP or PKZip. Unfortunately, an archiving program I installed earlier took over that extension without prompting me for it. I decided I didn't want the stupid program to start with so I uninstalled it. The problem is, now zip files aren't associated with any program and I don't know what it uses by default. I know I could just use WinZIP but I preferred the built-in program better. Anybody here with WinME that can help me with that? If you could look under your file associations and tell me what progam it uses I'd appreciate it. Thanks for the help.

Mar 11, 2000
Oxford, UK
Association

There is a Microsoft Knowledge Base article about this at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q258/5/75.asp?prd=winme&pver=4.9&id=258575

I got this link through the November Help and Support update, one of the nice things about ME. It adds new links to Help about issues like this that come up, I suggest you use it if you don't already.

I'm kinda annoyed - ZipFolders-like functionality is what I've always wanted built into the OS, but you can't open self-extracting archives this way; however WinZip has terrible folder-within-zip-file handling, I wish they'd use an explorer-like interface so it was easy. I'll try and find a way of running the two side-by-side to get the best of both worlds.

Do_Or_Die

Aug 1, 2000
Thanks for the help, I didn't even think about looking in the Windows Setup. Worked like a charm. I'll be getting that update working now too.