Will UT2k7 use starforce cd copy protection?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I found out yesterday that Midway (the current publisher of epic's games) uses starforce. This is probably way to early to get into right now, but will UT2k7 be using starforce?

I can't honestly see a reason for it, but its worth dicussion because any publisher who uses starforce is reason for concern. Starforce is awful and would completely ruin UT2k7 if its used. On the plus side though UT2k7 will obviously require a legit cd key to play online, so piracy is worthless unless you enjoy playing against bots. That is a good reason to not need it, but if it is included it can't be removed. The makers of starforce won't allow it, they come up with crazy license argreements that prevent it.

Currently starforce is the only cd copy protection that midway uses. Which is double bad because every single PC game these days uses some form of cd copy protection no matter what. Even UT2k4 used copy protection (safedisc?), but that could be removed, and it was. But starforce can't. If its included from the start expect to have drivers secretly installed, virtual drives disabled, and possibly the inability to use your cd/dvd drives, and have your computer broken. It doesn't happen to everyone, but a lot of people have reported having their hardware damaged because of starforce.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
I think starforce would be a bad thing for ut2k7. The cdkey protection already works PERFECTLY. Who's going to be playing bots for over an year? (not to mention, if they really like the game, they would buy it to play online) The game is meant for online.

O yeah this also reminds me of SafeGame, where the actual cheat protection software is more annoying than cheaters themselves, I honestly would not like to see ut2k7 copy protection go down that road. The online cdkey protection already works so perfectly.

I remember when I bought Splinter Cell 3, my DVD drive had driver problems with the starforce protection it used, and I had to update my drivers and a bunch of other crap which I shouldn't normally have to do to get it to work.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I bought splinter cell 3 myself and cant even play the single player. It installed starforce and starforce disabled autostart on my dvd drives and they won't detect splinter cell being in the drive. Whenever I try to start splinter cell it just freezes my computer for five minutes and tells me that I don't have the game disc in my dvd drive.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Starforce=teh suck. I've been so annoyed by that thing causing me to wait two minutes to verify damned games that half the time I'd like to use the DVD(s) as minature frisbees.

If I pay good money for a game I'd rather not have that hassle. Even having the CD/DVD in the drive is a major pain which is another plus for UT+ (and the later no CD patches).

I've nothing against copy protection but Starforce is really the most annoying I've come across to date and hope it's not implemented or I for one will not be playing 2k7 regularly :)

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
One is allowed to make a copy of a cd/dvd for own purpose, it's illegal to give the copies to others. If StarForce, when trying to copy a cd/dvd for yourself, damages your hardware on purpose, Midway can be sued for damaging your property. Not like it's ever gonna happen, but it's possible.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Jrubzjeknf said:
One is allowed to make a copy of a cd/dvd for own purpose, it's illegal to give the copies to others. If StarForce, when trying to copy a cd/dvd for yourself, damages your hardware on purpose, Midway can be sued for damaging your property. Not like it's ever gonna happen, but it's possible.
yea, you can't even make a copy in the first place because it just wouldn't work, I've tried it with splinter cell 3.

K.N.I.F.E

Dressed in Pink
Jun 4, 2005
In Nathan's base
kevan.org
Jrubzjeknf said:

Unless we make it hapen...;)

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Copy protection is cool, but I don't want to have to keep my DVD in the drive when playing and I don't want some weird drive thingy on my comp.

I'd rather use a steam-like program rather than having to use some weird drivers that ****s with my drives.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Jrubzjeknf said:
According to DMCA, since you don't actually own the program only a license to it, you aren't allowed a backup copy.

Starforce is the PunkBuster of cd/dvd protection. It has a bunch of features and crap, it is required on alot of stuff, and half the time it doesn't work right and you're able to bypass it or not use it at all.

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
Jrubzjeknf said:

Here is the suggestion of a very naive and ignorant people -->Me:
IF what you wrote is right, then I would ask Epic to deliver the game and its backup disk in the same box. In addition, I would ask Epic to provide a free backup at once on demand when needed (then you just return one of the 2 disks to epic). That s the only way Epic could really take consequence for not allowing us to use our rights of doing a legitimate backup.

One stupid question, (hey I am ignorant!) how this StarForce stuff does work?

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
Persefone said:
http://www.glop.org/starforce/

At the end, the result is that those who get a warez version of a game with this thing can play the game happily while those who are honest have to suffer annoyances in the best case or crashes in the worst one.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

according to what i ve read on your link,
this should be called StarCrap but not StarForce...

I hope that Epic will respect players and will
not force them to have such sh!t in their OS.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
EL BOURIKO said:
according to what i ve read on your link,
this should be called StarCrap but not StarForce...

I hope that Epic will respect players and will
not force them to have such sh!t in their OS.

Dittoed. That link was a real eye opener... Also explains why Psi Ops which uses it too always caused my PC to crash :)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Sir_Brizz said:
According to DMCA, since you don't actually own the program only a license to it, you aren't allowed a backup copy.
Luckily DMCA is not valid over here.

We are allowed to make a backup copy, but we aren't allowed to break the copy-"protection" if that stops us from making one.

So none of this "you only bought a license / not a program"-bovine excrement for us Dutch.

Copy-"protection" is the #1 reason I rarely buy pc-games these days. While UT2k7 is definitely going to be an interesting game it is not worth the agony that this protection-racket causes.

And for those that think that Steam is the solution ... well I guess that's probably because you're used to asking permission for everything you do, so it's logical you like to be treated as a kid even as a grown-up.

I'd rather not depend on the a company's servers just to play a game after they go bankrupt or simply decide to kill the licenses so they can sell new ones.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
is there a program that prevents StarForce from installing any drivers yet?

*EDIT* nm, just read about the removal tool. Well, at least you can remove it again :)

Last edited:

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
JaFO said:
And for those that think that Steam is the solution ... well I guess that's probably because you're used to asking permission for everything you do, so it's logical you like to be treated as a kid even as a grown-up.
I just said I'd rather use Steam than something that affects my dvd drive.

And if I'm a kiddy that needs to ask permisson for everything then you must be a warezfreak. :)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
http://www.glop.org/starforce/ said:
Prince of Persia Sands of Time
That game had it? So I installed some crap driver without even knowing about it? Bastards.

If UT2007 uses this I probably won't get it. I was on the ropes anyhow...