Will NVIDIA PhysX Benefit Performance...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Hard to tell. You should have it on if you play PhysX maps. Frame rates will be smoother, maybe not higher, if you enable it on regular maps. I would use it to relieve the CPU but then again I might use an even better GPU.

Some site should really test this and review the new nVidia PhysX dirver on most current GeForce cards. Enabling PhysX is probably useful in several games.

PapaBear

Old. Very Old.
Oct 26, 2003
SF Bay Area, CA
www.whatacharacter.net
I tried the 177 drivers just yesterday in UT3 on the PhysX maps.

I got a LOT better gameplay than when I tried those same maps using the Aegis software drivers.

I'm using (2) 8800gtx cards in SLI -- Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

HOWEVER, my UT2004 performance when to crap -- massive stuttering, to the point where it was almost impossible to play.

My CoD4 played better, actually, with a more consistent frame rate.

Gnat73

May 1, 2008
UT3 hangs if i try and load non-physx maps, with physx enabled.

I do have the physx maps installed and they run OK.

Q6600, 8800 GT, 4 GB ram, Vista 64 Basic.

thats my experince:eek:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
The way it's meant Nvidia to be screwed.

Gnat73

May 1, 2008
After trying uninstall/install a couple of times, it seems the problem starts after i install the nvidia physx mod.:(

Oh well i can live without that anyways.:rolleyes:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
No problems here. No noticable performance difference though I haven't been paying much attention, no drops to take note of. Gibbing seems different, but that's it.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
The Unreal Engine 2 stutter problems (relating to 8800 cards and XP) have been COMPLETELY fixed - even Unreal 2 is silky smooth. You are using the 177.83 version, right - not some other 177?

That's great to hear, I pulled out my 8800 in favor of a 7950 in order to play ut2k4. I want to make absolutely sure it's going to work before I put it in again.

With the clutter in my case, its a total pain to work in there, especially with a card of that size. When I switched cards, the sata power to my HD got pulled out, and I couldn't get that flimsy connector back in, so I used one of the two molex that used to power the 8800. I'm not looking forward to jerking that sata around again. I really need a full tower :/

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
it must have been about a year now?

Closer to two years, and I'm still pretty steamed about it. I bought an 8800 GTX when it was new - I paid a premium price for it - for the express purpose of playing ut2k4 with the most graphically-intensive mods in the largest and most detailed of maps without having to worry about hitching or anything. I was so confused when I put it in my rig, and the game was running WORSE than the 7800 that I had in before it. I thought I had a defective card. Confusion quickly turned to anger when I was told it was a "driver issue" and it just went unsolved for months and months and months and months.

It's great that it's working now, but if I knew their XP drivers were borked up at the time, I could have just waited to buy the damn thing, and I would have spent a lot less money. I feel ripped off :(

Mabz

Mar 31, 2005
Perhaps things will get better when Nvidia drivers for the 8 series come out.