Why is their a canister gun for grenade launcher? What happened to RL alt?!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

innociv

Mar 25, 2005
from BU info.
"Canister Gun

Incorporates the Sticky Grenade Launcher, Spider Mine Layer and Bio Rifle. Fires different projectiles depending on the ammo available to the player."

Now I've gone back to UT99. It's just so much more fun to me. It gets the adrenalin going so much. A 5vs5 game of ut99 is as exciting as most games are when you do 3x the ammount of people recommended on a map.

Why was the rocket grenades taken off from the rocket launche anyways?
In Unreal Tournament primary fire would load in rockets. If you wanted to fire one at a time you juut clicked it.
Howeve rin ut2003 this was changed. Rocket launcher would spam rockets with primary and load in with alt fire.
The grenades altfire of the ut99 rocket launcher was awesome! Alt fire would load in the rockets and releasing firedthem out as grenades.

It's alot more fun that the grenade launcher of ut2003 and more powerful it seems. Plus they launched in a spread so you could cover more area. UT2003/4 grenade launcheris weaksauce without the multible loading, even if they are sticky. The ut2003/4 type of grenade launcher doesn't count as an "in your face" weapon that all the ut99 ones where. It'd need alot of changes.. Better to just bring back the old rocket launches firings with the less ammount of rockets fired.

And oh yeah.. bring back the UT99 sounds they where much cooler and hearing someone elses rockets loading or their impact hammer really got the adrenalin going. Including the menu sounds for nastalgia(sp)

Last edited:

Kingman3

Jul 19, 2005
I'll agree, the RL in UT99 had a lot more "oomph" to it; big FWOOOSH sound and the screen would shake when firing the rockets. In 2k* it just feels like a spam dispenser.

Wasn't a big fan of the grenades, though. Simply too slow to be all that effective, IMO.

The 2k* grenade launcher was intended to be more of a tactical weapon for gametypes like ONS or vCTF. It's mainly used on nodes, slower-moving vehicles, and the like, not as an anti-personnel weapon.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Huh?

Remember one thing,though. UT can never be remade, again. NEVER.
Sure, they can come close and recreate the feel.. and make the next game smooth as the original one BUT it shouldn't be a carbon copy...

UT was made. It's been done before. If you have it, install it. It's a mere 550 mb. Add the bonuspacks, you'll hardly reach a gig.

Yeah, it isn't breaking news I realise that!

Just.. don't expect the next UT to be a reincarnation of the first game.

It needs new elements, it needs change.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Yes, I know it's obvious but sometimes ...

Why hate it really.. besides, you could enable an instant fire mode if you wanted to. Load and fire 1 rocket. No more multiple loading.

But that's boring. That's what bots do most of the time. Sometimes they do load 2-3 rockets.. sometimes.

innociv

Mar 25, 2005
Well there is some things ut can have improved on it.

And yeah i still play it. I stopped palyign ut2003/4 pretty quickly.. it's just a whole another game almost, doesn't feel like a sequal at all. I was playing ut99 for over 2 years(only other game i've played that long is starcraft, almost.) UT2003 and then 4 bored me after 2 months or so each. :\ Only reason i didn't come back to ut99 sooner is becasue i lost my disk and just got around to buying another. And then finally installed it to find out a whole lot of people still play it, which i wans't expecting.

I'd just like to see alot of it's feel back in ut2007 which it seems epic is trying for it. One big thing ut99 has over 20x is it's sounds where so great.

Oh and i use the grenades, they kill in 1 hit just like rockets if they directly touch someone. They are good on face and some other maps, especially against someone with a shock rifle(especially seeing as how much better the ut99 shockrifle is). I don't see the point in the spam rockets button. I guess it's better with how ut2004 is. Sometimes i want to fire 1 rocket but in that case ill click once. That's what i ended up doing in ut2x
Why do you want to spam them anyways? You only want to fire when they'll hit someone.. don't you? Ya' know, you want to hit their feet or hit them.

I heard of utr but lost my 2004 disks and key so ill stay with 99.

Last edited: