Why is nobody talking about Romney's Mormonism anymore?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Ren trolling?

Trolling+Obama.+Thanks+for+top+six+guys.+remember+to+subscribe_3e3bf0_3160027.jpg

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
LOL. This is so stupidly hilarious I can't believe it. dragonfliet making sense about religion? cryptofreak complaining about something nonsensical and utterly ridiculous playing his atheism trumpet? Ren trolling?

Maybe the world does end this year... Okay, one of these things is not like the other...

psh, I always make sense about everything

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I don't know about supernatural crap, but pretty sure this qualifies as crazy (and that forum is full of plenty of other insane mumbo jumbo proving that atheists are, in fact, not immune from insanity).

You took the statement out of context.

I do know that there are irrational Atheists out there, as there are many other irrational groups of people. It's not 'supernatural' kooky conspiracy stuff. In archurrrr's original post he said "atheists believe in all sorts of kooky supernatural stuff". Supernatural would be stuff out of spook stories and things that are supposedly not of this world. Not that I have any belief in the supernatural.

Rational thought is much more important than irrational thought, regardless of belief.

People still think Hitler was an Atheist because of mass media muddling. He was in fact a Lutheran and believed secularism to be an evil. I've read the English version of Mein Kampf, and in no way was he an Atheist. There are people out there that are extreme in their belief systems, regardless of whether they believe in Krishna, Allah, Jehovah, Yahweh, Odin, or even no god, if they are intolerant of one another, then they are incompatible with humanity.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You took the statement out of context.

I do know that there are irrational Atheists out there, as there are many other irrational groups of people. It's not 'supernatural' kooky conspiracy stuff. In archurrrr's original post he said "atheists believe in all sorts of kooky supernatural stuff". Supernatural would be stuff out of spook stories and things that are supposedly not of this world. Not that I have any belief in the supernatural.
I don't think I took it out of context, I just assumed by "supernatural" he meant "things that are inexplicable based on nothing more than supposition or hypothesis containing no factual basis". I mean, there are surely atheists that believe aliens exist and/or that they have visited Earth. Likewise, I am positive there are atheists who believe in ghosts. To me, that is basically "supernatural".
Rational thought is much more important than irrational thought, regardless of belief.
I honestly agree with this statement which is why I find the entire basis of this thread utterly ridiculous. Others have already pointed out that a person being religious (or, frankly, not) is not indicative of their ability to use good judgement or be a good leader, which I think is right on.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
I don't know about supernatural crap, but pretty sure this qualifies as crazy (and that forum is full of plenty of other insane mumbo jumbo proving that atheists are, in fact, not immune from insanity).

I don't think anyone is suggesting that atheists are immune from insanity any more than people who understand mathematics are. The stated beliefs which identify Mormons, however, are irrational. Therefore the people espousing these ideas are lacking rational ability.

Anyhow, this thread was never intended to be a religious debate; read the OP if you like. The religion in question was proved a long time ago to be incorrect, and I was attempting to proceed from that basis. All of this attempted justification for religion is irrelevant and a bit remedial.

But if you want to pretend that the silliness I quoted in the OP is worthy of serious consideration, be my guest. I will only laugh at you from this point forward though. I can't do anything more effective because it is not a serious academic topic. If you can't see how incredibly stupid it is from a cursory glance paired with a basic education, you are not really trying.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I don't think anyone is suggesting that atheists are immune from insanity any more than people who understand mathematics are. The stated beliefs which identify Mormons, however, are irrational. Therefore the people espousing these ideas are lacking rational ability.

Anyhow, this thread was never intended to be a religious debate; read the OP if you like. The religion in question was proved a long time ago to be incorrect, and I was attempting to proceed from that basis. All of this attempted justification for religion is irrelevant and a bit remedial.

But if you want to pretend that the silliness I quoted in the OP is worthy of serious consideration, be my guest. I will only laugh at you from this point forward though. I can't do anything more effective because it is not a serious academic topic. If you can't see how incredibly stupid it is from a cursory glance paired with a basic education, you are not really trying.

This is a bunch of psuedo intellectual BS though. Religion is simple faith. They believe in something that cannot be proved or disproved because there is something within them that tells them that it is right. It is simple faith.

Just because someone has faith in something that you don't believe in, however, does not mean that their logic in the real world is in any way affected. You think that you are presenting an airtight, logical argument, but you're simply begging the question. There are scads of very intelligent, rational effective people who believe in various religions, from world leaders to scientists, who demonstrate on a daily basis the ability to be rational in all of their affairs.

Like it or not, faith is simply outside the purview of proof or rationale: which isn't to say that those who believe in it are inherently irrational, but rather that believing or disbelieving in no way demonstrates an ability (or lack of ability) to act in a logical, rational way outside of issues of faith. My earlier comment about race still applies: believing that because someone is mentally inferior because of their religious faith is as accurate and logically sound as believing that someone is mentally inferior because of the color of their skin--there is no link

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Here we go again. Athiests having to provide proof. How about the other way round this time.

well said cryptophreak

If you are saying something is false, then you must prove it. If religious nuts want to get in a tiff about how their god is demonstrably the best god, they have to prove it (they can't). If atheist freaks want to get in a tiff about how there is definitely no god, they have to prove it (they can't).

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
This is a bunch of psuedo intellectual BS though. Religion is simple faith. They believe in something that cannot be proved or disproved because there is something within them that tells them that it is right. It is simple faith.

Just because someone has faith in something that you don't believe in, however, does not mean that their logic in the real world is in any way affected. You think that you are presenting an airtight, logical argument, but you're simply begging the question. There are scads of very intelligent, rational effective people who believe in various religions, from world leaders to scientists, who demonstrate on a daily basis the ability to be rational in all of their affairs.

Like it or not, faith is simply outside the purview of proof or rationale: which isn't to say that those who believe in it are inherently irrational, but rather that believing or disbelieving in no way demonstrates an ability (or lack of ability) to act in a logical, rational way outside of issues of faith. My earlier comment about race still applies: believing that because someone is mentally inferior because of their religious faith is as accurate and logically sound as believing that someone is mentally inferior because of the color of their skin--there is no link

Perhaps the most logical, rational post I've read on these forums in a long time. My hat off to you, sir.

No matter what you believe, or choose not to believe, it is an act of faith, and does not dictate rationalization.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Just because someone has faith in something that you don't believe in, however, does not mean that their logic in the real world is in any way affected.

This issue isn't that I don't "believe in" it, which is meaningless, the issue is that it is wrong. Are you telling me that a person can open a gap in their intellect wide enough to admit of the bible's inerrant truth (that is, magic invisible flying space fairies who created the universe, define objective morality, have done impossible things for which there is negative historical evidence, and continue to effect "miracles" -- sometimes but not always and never in a lab) but not wide enough to allow for any other mistakes? This is nonsense.

Like it or not, faith is simply outside the purview of proof or rationale

You're right that I don't like this. Fortunately I don't have to accept it either. I can't think of any reason I would. Any reasonably intelligent person who says wrong things for no better reason than their feelings is a liar. I don't trust them and you shouldn't either.

My earlier comment about race still applies: believing that because someone is mentally inferior because of their religious faith is as accurate and logically sound as believing that someone is mentally inferior because of the color of their skin--there is no link

There's a blurry line between playing devil's advocate and trolling. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here.

Of course there is no "link" -- religion is mentally inferior behavior.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
If atheist freaks want to get in a tiff about how there is definitely no god, they have to prove it (they can't).

Not only is this coming at the problem the wrong way, it's actually pretty easy to prove that any specific god who is supposed to have done anything for which we have a working understanding either a) is conspicuously unnecessary or b) demonstrably did not do those things.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
You're throwing a lot of stones here. Time to poke some holes.
This issue isn't that I don't "believe in" it, which is meaningless, the issue is that it is wrong. Are you telling me that a person can open a gap in their intellect wide enough to admit of the bible's inerrant truth (that is, magic invisible flying space fairies who created the universe, define objective morality, have done impossible things for which there is negative historical evidence, and continue to effect "miracles" -- sometimes but not always and never in a lab) but not wide enough to allow for any other mistakes? This is nonsense.

Nowhere in the Bible does it mention anything about space fairies, flying, invisible, or otherwise. The Bible does not endorse or cause any present-day "miracles".

You're right that I don't like this. Fortunately I don't have to accept it either. I can't think of any reason I would. Any reasonably intelligent person who says wrong things for no better reason than their feelings is a liar. I don't trust them and you shouldn't either.

Lying is making intentional statements that are false. By your own incorrect definition you are a liar.

Of course there is no "link" -- religion is mentally inferior behavior.

Religion is not a behavior, but a set of beliefs.

For someone who makes ignorant statements, you think you'd be a little less quick to condemn things you don't understand.

I get it that, as an atheist, religious people make you uncomfortable, but it doesn't automatically make you mentally superior. Perhaps you're trolling. Congratulations. If not, then you're just coming off like an asshole.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
hal, I'll just toss this your way in case you genuinely missed my meaning.

"And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man." John 1:51 (KJV)

The rest appears to be semantic nitpicking and isn't worth addressing, I think.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
religion is mentally inferior behavior.

Wow, what an utterly asinine statement!

World history is full of great men, brilliant minds, and tremendous leaders from all faiths and religions. By your statement, you are saying that you are mentally superior to all of them?

You, sir, must be something very very special, and I am honored to be able to converse with someone of such mental superiority!