Who hate RA?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
HEY! I got an idea! What if we also base it on altitude!? Like when you are in Peru, you are up in the Andes and therefore your stamina decreases even faster! Or when you are on Atoll, you can run farther because you are at sea level!

Heh, sorry, I just felt like being an ass for a second.

My only experience with carrying a pack is when I go backpacking with a 80 lb (+/- 20 lbs) pack in the Wind River Mountains, which are roughly 9,000 to 13,500 feet. Up there I don't think I could sprint half as far as an RA sprinter.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
heh. was just listening to some old *really* old music.. and well here's a line from "Johny, i hardly knew ye" that i can only hope will be the hymm of 2.87

"Where are your legs that used to run, hurroo, hurroo
Where are your legs that used to run, hurroo, hurroo
Where are your legs that used to run
When you went for to carry a gun
Indeed your dancing days are done
Oh Johnny, I hardly knew ye."

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
It's an old irish/celtic song ( i was gett'n down with my heritege so i felt like getting some good drink'n songs )

It's called "Johny, i hardly knew ye". You've probably heard it before.. it's typically associated with the civil war (american) In the states.. i'm not sure how it's precieved world wide.

but here's the whole lyric if ya want it.

Johnny I hardly Knew Ye

While goin' the road to sweet Athy, hurroo, hurroo
While goin' the road to sweet Athy, hurroo, hurroo
While goin' the road to sweet Athy
A stick in me hand and a drop in me eye
A doleful damsel I heard cry,
Johnny I hardly knew ye.
With your drums and guns and drums and guns, hurroo, hurroo
With your drums and guns and drums and guns, hurroo, hurroo
With your drums and guns and drums and guns
The enemy nearly slew ye
Oh my darling dear, Ye look so queer
Johnny I hardly knew ye.

Where are your eyes that were so mild, hurroo, hurroo
Where are your eyes that were so mild, hurroo, hurroo
Where are your eyes that were so mild
When my heart you so beguiled
Why did ye run from me and the child
Oh Johnny, I hardly knew ye.

Where are your legs that used to run
When you went for to carry a gun
Indeed your dancing days are done
Oh Johnny, I hardly knew ye.

I'm happy for to see ye home, hurroo, hurroo
I'm happy for to see ye home, hurroo, hurroo
I'm happy for to see ye home
All from the island of Sulloon
So low in flesh, so high in bone
Oh Johnny I hardly knew ye.

Ye haven't an arm, ye haven't a leg, hurroo, hurroo
Ye haven't an arm, ye haven't a leg, hurroo, hurroo
Ye haven't an arm, ye haven't a leg
Ye're an armless, boneless, chickenless egg
Ye'll have to put with a bowl out to beg
Oh Johnny I hardly knew ye.

They're rolling out the guns again, hurroo, hurroo
They're rolling out the guns again, hurroo, hurroo
They're rolling out the guns again
But they never will take our sons again
No they never will take our sons again
Johnny I'm swearing to ye.
---------------------------------

Another song military-ish song you've probably heard alot in the instramental versions is "The minstrel boy"

"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone
In the ranks of death you will find him
His father's sword he hath girded on
And his wild harp slung behind him"

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Keganator

Well, *you*could pick it up yourself and use it, it doesn't mean you're going to be good at it. That's about the same analogy.

And its obvious that ironsights are the better choice for close ranges, but my point was that IMO RA v2 ( and I have to say, that it is much better now than in previous versions ) kind of unbalances the ironsights vs the ACOG. I think 2.86 does a good job in balancing scopes and ironsights as there is usually an even mixture of players with and w/o scopes on the servers, though this differs from map to map.[/quote]

Stormcaller sez: (paraphrazing...)1 acog per squad. So an 'even mix' is waaay too much.

Should be careful what you say Keg. AFAIK we're not just representing the US armed forces here. In the British Army EVERY front line infanteer has a SUSAT on his rifle. Thats a 4x Tritium source scope for those not in the know. So that makes have the people with only iron sights wrong too.

Storm is only saying from a USMC perspective, and I'm sure that he will have said that or that the US forces use.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Damn, you're right Tiffy. I should have made that more clear.

BTW, the going philosphy in the Marines on riflemen and scopes is this: If we train our marines to shoot accurately a man size target at 500 yards, at the rifles maximum point size target range is 550 yards, why bother with a scope? Marines move forward, on the assault, and need to see the bigger picture ahead of them. The ultimate goal is to be standing where the enemy once did, even if the enemy is still there (safest place in an ambush? :D)

Remember, MArines are trained to be outnumbered, becuase we are the smallest on the Department of Defense. This means, very often, the most junior of Marines must be aware of what is going on. The concept of having a desgnated marksman in a fireteam is new to the marine corps, but I can see it working from within our mission desgnation. One man out of five, placing very deliberate fire downrange, who get his targets from the Fireteam Leader.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Thats the difference with the British Army. Were trained to shoot out to ranges in excess of 300m, but as the distance increase the shoot becomes more a team, or even section shoot at a point.

I've engaged targets out to 800m with an L1A1. At that range you've not a hope of hitting a moving man with iron sights, you'd be bloody good to do it with a high powered scope, and even seeing them moveing is hard so the fire direction order is against a terrain feature that the enemy are occupying. When 8 or 9 men and an LMG deliberately fire at something at that range its both quite destructive and very demorilising to receive.

I'd say that the avarage Infanteer in the British Army is probably as good a marksmans as the average USMC trooper (Storm what is a young marine called, its not grunt), as I think were the only armed forces left the actually teach marksmanship and practice long range engagements.

BTW I've never really found the SUSAT to be any kind of encumberance to situational awareness, or target accuition, but it really help place those shots when the range gets down to when the oother guy might actually start accurately shooting back.

[-I-]KatFlo

RRROOOAAARRR
Jan 10, 2002
www.inforcers.org
Originally posted by Tiffy
BTW I've never really found the SUSAT to be any kind of encumberance to situational awareness, or target accuition, but it really help place those shots when the range gets down to when the oother guy might actually start accurately shooting back.

that's what I meant, when I said the ACOG is not designed for long range combat only but more a substitute for iron sights which increases "average soldier" accuracy, without limiting short-middle range capabilities (I'm sure it limits CQB capabilities though).

But I played on AFA2 yesterday and think that it's bearable to aim with an ACOG now, still ironsights are too accurate in comparison IMO.

But what I still think is overdone is the bob when moving ACOG up and I'm not talking about walking around all the time but moving some centimeters/inches to get a LoF. You really can move some even with an aimed weapon without bumping into everything and loosing your target out of sight as you should be aware of your closer environment.
I would like to see it bob but not half as much as it does now.
That's why I said the AOG is punished in the current version.

Gotta play some ;)
HF

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
My average accuracy with open sights is about 25%. When I feel the evil desire to throw an ACOG on, my accuracy goes up to 60%. Seems to work out fine for me.

Try to remember folks, we are not done with the scopes at all. We are always seeking ways to improve the realism behind them. It is, as you may have noticed, not easy to do. But until Tiffy or Dr. Mucus (our resident RL scope experts) tell yurch to lock his body and unfuck himself :)D) things will continue to develop to the best of our abilities.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
From what I've seen from the team members THEMSELVES, they've emphasized over and over again that "RA" will not be "in" 2.87...

Lt.Col.BoyHitsCar

AFA Member & Beta Team Target
Feb 18, 2002
Visit site
Heh going way back to grunts comments about running around a track with full gear, i did something of the sort this winter.

a friend and i went hunting up in north-east texas in early december. now usually we get leases that have cabins on them of somesort, but this time we had to hike out to a good camp site. basically we had everything in hiking backpacks, including my 12 pound portable tree-hitch. all in all my pack was roughly 50 pounds, and i did carry 2 rifles to the site. my springfield03 and my colradomountain .243. lets just say it wasnt fun having to navigate the paths trying keep from either falling down or dropping a slung rifle off my shoulder. when we actually went hunting i would never take more than one rifle, its bulky, you make more noise and i dont see a point. i do carry a side-arm though, course its loaded with 3 snake-shot rounds and 4 slugs, but then im not going into war.

if you cant kill with one rifle then dont bring that rifle.

oh well just thought i'd add in my personal thoughts on the subject. 2 primary weapons just doesnt seem logical to me.

i love RAv2, makes ppl slow down to my level.

btw, you cannon fodders talking about accuracy is impressive. heh, i am about 10% accurate at 250 yards with a m1a but im not that good with my scoped springfield either. give me my .243 and i can do some damage. not to mention my double tap is deadly with my .45.[i'll stop, now im giving myself a big head.=)]
but im only going into the police academy, not the armed forces...

argh!

Rocko

the king of hipshots
Apr 6, 2001
Sweden
www.c-22.org
I really hope the team wont touch the sensitivity variable while in ACOG scope, instead...just make the radius in the view smaller...easier to get lost.

Aequi

ballistically challenged
Apr 23, 2001
Denmark, duh
Visit site
my biggest issue with RA is its succes/popularity amoung the people that set up servers, it getting really tough to find a 10+ people fight on a non-RA server.

bastardb

Dec 11, 2001
canada
Visit site
thats not an RA issue... what the hell

why are the ones who play on afa responsible for you guys splitting up into 10 different servers and not filling one?

everytime im on.. almost every day.. therse about 8 servers each with liked 7 people on them...
get into ONE server