Which is better Quake 3 Arena or Unreal Tournament

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.
moot points piss me off

look both games kick ass equally. Don't believe me then go play RA for Q3 it kicks the sh*t out of UT's version. The mods (RA, Weapons Factory, Urban Terror; to name a few) make q3 where as UT finds more loyalty in it's pre packaged game mods (ctf, dom, etc.). Bottom line they're both cool games and if you don't like q3 or UT yourself then shut up and don't play them. I'm sick of these retarded threads started by people with minimal knowledge of how much is put into a game. If you think you can do better than make a game yourself and prove us all wrong.

[ranting ended]

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
Me likes UT

Well, I generally suck at games, but I suck considerabley less at UT than Q3A so I'll go with that one. I like the Q3A graphics engine - very smooth animation, nice curved surfaces, sucky textures etc - but I cannot get the hang of the gameplay, so I find it to be frustrating and unfun.

The Q3A announcer is much better though "You have taken the lead" - how cool is that?

Lasker

Sep 26, 2000
Visit site
I like them both, personally. It depends on what mood I'm in. I do have to say that UT's bot ai is far superior to quake3. All ID did for the bots in quake3 is give them perfect aim in nightmare mode and slow down their rate of fire in the other modes.

Captain_Sanity

Aug 16, 2000
Visit site
I left Half-Life at v1.0.0.1 and couldn't decide whether or not to buy UT or Q3A. After seeing the number of cheats available for Q3A, I decided on UT.

UT has great graphics, sound, AI, etc... We likely all agree on that (this being PlanetUnreal and all). What really makes UT stand apart from Q3A (correct me if I'm wrong; I don't know if Q3A can do the same) is it's inclusion of Unreal 1 weapons and monsters which enables it to play the old Unreal 1 maps. It's like having two games in one (minus the single player experience of Unreal 1).

I've only played the Q3A alpha test and I didn't have much fun with it. I prefer team oriented modes of play, (particularly with different classes) not mindless gibbing; there needs to be an objective for me to enjoy the game. Anyway, this is where Q3A has the advantage over UT. Sure UT has TP, CTF, DOM, and AS, but Q3A has Q3F - a revision of Quake TF, the ultimate team mod (IMO).

I don't recall which came out first, UT or Q3A, but it seems to me that the UT mod teams are slow in developing QUALITY mods. I'm talking about mods now, not mutators. Then there are the teams that are developing the same thing such as Infiltration, Tactical Ops and Strike Force. They're all the same Counter-Strike for UT wanna-be's! Why not combine their efforts to make a better mod faster? I guess that's up to them though.

Sorry for rambling. My point is this. UT is better, but Q3A has the edge on quality mods; which in the end, is what keeps a game alive.

Goku

Oct 3, 2000
www.l33tness.net
Ok, enough of this bull****... We all know that Unreal Tournament is the grand champion of them all. I mean, c'mon, if I have to play in another frickin gothic space castle, I'm gonna lose it. Q3A is a lame ass piece of ****. It has no variety, the bots don't have any skill (just absolutely perfect aim for some reason...), and it's just overall crap. I have heard this argument over and over and over, the last place that I wanted to hear it was on the Planet Unreal forum. Notice the distinct "Unreal" part of that. Not "Quake3Arena". So I think that in light of this issue being played to death that it would be nice to see no more of such topics in the PU forums. Thannkyou, and that is my 6 cents.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, with the addition of all the "new" people, I'd like to comment on this.

Welcome to PuF and...

The UT vs Q3A topic has been long dead.

Now, with that out of the way, please let this post die.

and not be ressurected again in another 3 months!;)

Kappo

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
since i havent actually played lots of q3a (i have played a bit, but i dont own it so i havent played anywhere it anywhere near as much as my beloved UT), and this is my opinion;

i reckon that although q3a has better graphics, as far as games go, it is too much like q2, and q1, there is no new types of weapons, no new types of game play, hell, they didnt even go past DM in the retail release.... ID, shame on you.... tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk

chris_nl

Adept
Sep 29, 2000
here & there
Visit site
damn someone's looking for attention..

wel I'm surprised that anyone posts an serious thing out here..

asking on a UT forum wich game is best, wel errr I wouldn't know the outcome would you????

chris_nl

Adept
Sep 29, 2000
here & there
Visit site
BTW

the QIII bots ain't very well scaled:

the easyest don't even shoot at all.

and Nightmare shoots everything(its just like a big cheater in HL wich can see true wall's and stuff)

the rest is also to easy.. : NO FUN

Robo-Junkie

Ghost of Robo-Past
Apr 30, 2000
IN
Q3 sux becuz:

It's bots are just like Unreal's. Total ripoff. on the lowest setting, they're total idiots & will ignore you completely (I was only shot once by a bot on the lowest setting & never died 'cept when I did a backflip into the lava :rolleyes:.) & like I said in another post, all they do is get so accurate, that they can shoot you the very second you appear from behind a wall or door.

It's graphics engine just really sux. I don't know why people think that Quake 3 looks prettier than UT. I just don't see it. I had the graphics setting all the way up & it doesn't beat UT. & ofcourse, all the textures are boring. Plus the thing will start stuttering like a southern hillbilly for no apparent reason even on just medium setting. I can have the world details for UT set to high & the skin details set to medium & not get too much frameloss.

Does this mean that Q3A is a horrible game? No. It's deathmatch is a lot better than UT's, even if the arenas are boring too look at. Does that give that jack@ss the right to come onto an Unreal/UT forum & ask this stupid @ss question?

OH HELL NO!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.