Which is better Quake 3 Arena or Unreal Tournament

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xShadowXHunterX

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
I own both games and this is my opinio is this:

Quake 3, Yes it has big levels and somewhat cool weapons , but the levels are big and boring, the textures suck most of the time theres hardly theres hardly any variety in the levels , not alot of variety settings or playstyles like Assault or Last Man Standing, Charecters might be cool but the games is just BLAH! Its kinda like playing a game made by a 3 year old its so fake looking and the levels are like your playing doom its just not right LOL.

As for Unreal Tournament :
The levels usually are big enough, the textures are extremly good, charecters are somewhat of a letdown but thats what downloading is for. Thheres 100s of varietys of levels, skins, Mods to download and you can play cool versions of play like DM, CTF , AS , LMS , TDM, DM and Domination. And the possibilties are endless.

Overall Quake 3 has cool charecters but it just doesnt have much variety or realism in its levels and dowloads are all basically the same from skins to maps NO VARIETY. And UT has Variety in everything most variety comes from downloads such as maps, skins, mutators,Mods,Textures... ECT.

Scores are this 1 being bad 10 being good

UT:
Graphics 10
Sound 8
Music 0 (Never have it on)
Fun Factor 10
Controls 8
Overall Score 11 (hehehe)

Quake 3
Graphics 6 (Charecters would get 9 same with Ut too)
Sound 6
Music 0 (Ditto)
Fun Factor 7
Controls 7
Overall score 7 1/2

Please post what you think!!

Sir Fraggedalot

Aug 18, 1999
Seattle, WA USA
You are definetly right that UT is better, but I still have to say that you are retarded for giving Music in both 0, just because you never have it on. What if that was the deciding factor in the betterness of either game (it isnt), you just not score it because you dont have it on. Well whatever, UT music is cooler anyways. This post was a waste of time...

bullet2.gif

Sir Fraggedalot
"It's so sad when a family is torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wild dogs."

falcon622

Feb 10, 2000
Visit site
What do you mean? The music is AWESOME!! The game is full of perfect music. I don't see why you disable it. The startup music is the first perfect music you hear.

Claymore

The Flying Dutchman
Dec 24, 1999
Utreg, Holland
www.xs4all.nl
On the Dutch forum of Tweakers.net I had a nice chat with other pplz about UT vs Q3.
In my opinion Q3 simply sux. It's too heavy, mouse sens is in someway bound to my performance, and the overall look of it is boring.

But Q3's engine sux too (technically). There are way more, and way prettier things possible with the UT engine.
Don't bother to argue with me about this /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

What I think too though, is that it is everybodies personal CHOICE whether to play UT or Q3. I sort of quit Q2 and picked up UT instead of Q3.
But Q3 has it's charmes too I guess.

Level "compiling" is way faster in UT. The bots don't need extra ".aas" files for paths, and the shadow technique of Q3 (seemingly round surfaces) is not a new one, Cuz I've seen it being used in Q2 levels already (Don;t argue with me about this either /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif).

For me it's not only that I like UT better, but it's a technical isue too.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
I'll tell you what 0wnz. Falcon 4, that's what /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Whichever woman said that chocolate is a substitute for sex obviously didn't appreciate the true purpose of chocolate.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
I like squirls!!! No I mean I really like them in that dirty way.

(Hey you! what are you doing with that squirl at my keyboard?! Are you spamming!? Is That MY ID?????!!!!)

I gotta go now.

bullet2.gif

Ronnie Mervus will pay for his crimes!!!!
George Lucas, Give us Star Wars DVD! Or I swear I'll kill every ewok there is!!!
-John Romero, We just dont want to hear it anymore. SHUT UP!!!

BeZerKeR

Feb 12, 2000
hometown.aol.com
I played Q3 at a buddies house (thank god I didn't get it myself) and well, I guess I just said what I thought of it. I was a diehard quake & quake 2 fan but 3 was just LACKING!!! I mean there was nothin really NEW abot it except the loss of a single player "story" mode. After playin UT I can't believe id released this thing. It seems like they just capitalized on the name for sales. Shame on you id!!! Shame on you!!!

bullet2.gif

"Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows...
...nor do I"
"BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

Skumboy

Jun 3, 2000
Visit site
If you go to http://www.planetquake.com/features/articles/editorials/q3a-sdk_a.shtml there is an article about Q3A that I agree with. It says that While UT is better straight out of the box Q3 catches up when Map and Mod editors start bringing out quality stuff.
In the same way original Unreal is better than Quake 2 out of the box bot it is the same story Q2 caught up again when the Quake "community" started releasing exelent maps/mods.
However as a map editor I prefer Unreals engine to work with rather than Q3.
On another note is that D66 Guy pissing anyone else off or is it just me?

bullet2.gif

"The're out ta get me, they won't catch me I'm f*cking innocent"--Out Ta get me, Guns n Roses

Bionic_Tuna

Jan 13, 2000
The graphics in Q3 deserve a 10, they are the BEST out there now, and Q3's music friggin' ROCKS! UT's is kinds corny (except for the track on DMgothic, and others) I always Have music at 100% and effects at like, 80%. Quake 3 has the BEST deathmatch expirience out there. But UT has more modes and better CTF. Personally, I think Q3 will surpass when the mods start coming out.

T

The Dudester

There is no way that Q3A's deathmatch is better than UT deathmatch. The Q3 bots are no where near as good as the UT ones...they clump all the time in many levels.
I've not played Q3A online, so I can't comment on that aspect...but really..

T

The Dudester

Not that I'm putting Q3A down...
I hate it when people say "My game's better than yours"...
Q3A and UT are both good (Q3A excels graphically, and in the excellence of the modification tools, UT in bot AI, Unreal Script and interestingness).
(and for all you Unreal fanatics who keep posting picking on Half-life....I'm afraid it *does* have a better single player storyline...but Unreal looks nicer).

<awaits flaming from UT fanatics>

Skumboy

Jun 3, 2000
Visit site
I think if UTs bots had the same amount of character as Q3s bots (each bot has its own individual character in q3a, where UTs Bots are all pretty much the same as each other) and the graphics were as great UT would be the perfect game. But now UT is the best game but Q3 is a very close second.

bullet2.gif

"The're out ta get me, they won't catch me I'm f*cking innocent"--Out Ta get me, Guns n Roses

BeerGun

consultant in beerology
Feb 2, 2000
Toronto area
Visit site
UT bots all alike? Tried both, UT's are better... depends how you configure them..

bullet2.gif

soon the gypsy queen, in a glaze of vaseline, will perform on guillontine, what a scene.. what a scene

Skumboy

Jun 3, 2000
Visit site
No what I mean is they all use the same taunts etc in Q3A each bot has its own seperate file with skill, taunts etc they all have a different character.

bullet2.gif

Slayer[FOR]

Feb 28, 2000
Madison
Visit site
I tried the Q3 demo and played it online. I thought it totally sucked. I just couldn't see going online with 32 players and just doing alot of shooting, no real skill used. Maybe it has changed..i don't know..but the demo did not sell me.

I will say this..I did think that Quake3 had more stable game engine than UT. Until they could get it worked out Quake3 had the better graphics than UT and it still does.

Well..that's it!!

"A true friend will shoot you in the front!!"

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
enough with the "Quake 3's gonna RuLe when the mods come out".

You're going to see tons of mods and maps for UT too because they had foresight. Foresight to include an editor, make it easy to add mods and mutators, maps, skins. The community is solidly behind UT and the very fact that everyone says "Wait until..." tells me one thing. Q3A is far behind.

Same old stuff.

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
I played Q3 for the first time recently and was actually very disappointed. I guess I was just expecting more from id. You hear about the engine, the textures... Just thought the play and eye candy would be much better. It still may kicks a$$, but I was hoping for much more.

I agree with hal. UT is great out of the box. The additional maps, mods, and mutators created by the "community" only enhance the game. And since UT easily supports such mods, UT has a huge jump start. IMO, to say Q3 will be better when more mods are made, sounds like an excuse. An excuse for id dropping the ball and relying on quakers to pick it up and make the game what it should have been in the first place. I think Q3 could have been better than UT. But to me it just isn't.

(Probably a good thing for me. I don't have the time for another game.)

bullet2.gif

Hey man, sniff my finger...

Skumboy

Jun 3, 2000
Visit site
I guess you guys are right I really want to defend Q3A because I loved Q2 and it is my favourate game of all time but I realise now that Quake 3 is now offically a lost cause.
But maybe I could be wrong.

bullet2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.