where to go....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

patrickrho

Oct 31, 2003
I just downloaded the unrealengine2 runtime...which was free..and the source code too...
However, I have no idea where to begin since there are extremely many code files..
I have been working with Torque engine...but in my opinion, the UnrealEngine is much better...
Can anyone tell me where I could start such as putting my OWN models in and set walk speed and run speed and such...and also putting weapons and let the player to pick them up...
its soo overwhelming

patrickrho

Oct 31, 2003
well I just want to try it..with weapons and stuff..
im not gonna release it obviously...cuz i dont have enuf skills if i wanted to...
so can you tell me how to add my own pawn..its just for my own use..

patrickrho

Oct 31, 2003
hmm well
all i was asking was where(file) to add players..and weapons..
I looked at the codes and I could understand fairly bcuz its similar to java and c++ but there are a lot of inheritances and deriving classes and I dont think i would be able to go through all the codes and see where they add their player..which is a square..in the runtime...

well if its illegal to add my own stuff, please tell me cuz i would be glad to stop what im doing..

and 1 more question...I have UT2003 and where can I find the source codes(.uc)? Bcuz everyone's telling me to go and look up the codes from UT2003 and see the examples from there...

patrickrho

Oct 31, 2003
wait...what you mean by UT2k3...are you talkin bout the actual engine(Unreal Engine) or the game?
im confused....

patrickrho

Oct 31, 2003
so...if its the game UT2K3, then I could make a mod and distribute it? even if the end user does not have UT2K3 installed, could I be still able to run my mod on other computers?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The main idea behind a "mod" is, that it modifies existing aspects of something. Mods don't work on their own, they always require the original game, program or hardware. (In your case your mod requires UT2003.)

Some people still don't get it.
1) Epic has put alot of money in the unreal engine.
2) Epic want's to earn money (don't we all?)
3) Epic has a kick ass engine.
4) Epic (working with a few other companies) has released UT2003, UT2003 is modable, so you can create custom contents for it.
5) Epic sells alof of UT2003s because it's modable, people want to play the mods. This way, people support the engine, people build mods, epic gets his money, and verybody is happy.

6) Epic releases runtime engine. Hell brakes lose... people think they can make free games with it.
7) Epic starts to clean up the misunderstoot. No, no games with runtime.
8) People start to ask wierd questions.

(you get it now?)

Gawes

Oct 20, 2003
Marburg - Germany
www.gawes.de.vu
So lets try to get this straight:

You can build a mod based on the Runtime, but it will be a lot of work. And in the end, you are not allowed to give it to anyone.

If you build your mod on UT2k3 (The game) you can give it to anyone who has the game too, if you want so. You can "test" the Engine as well, cause Runtime and the Game use the same Version of it.

So using UT2k3 will cause less trouble and you don't have to throw all the work into Garbage afterwards.

Look at it this way:
If you use UT2k3, everyone who wants to play your Mod, needs the Game.
If you use the Runtime, you are not allowed to give your game to anyone!

I hope this is clear now. :)

Corran

Danger Mouse
Mar 10, 2003
Portsmouth, England
planetunreal.com
I guess I misunderstood. DE made some stuff for UT03 which is missing in the runtime. I wasn't aware of anything missing in UT03 that can be found in the the runtime (except possibly some of the SVehicle stuff).