When is Xan Kriegor coming back???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LordFarqWad

Dec 16, 2009
Xan has kicking taunts. UT should really bring him back. Right along with being able to choose whatever voice pack you want to run. It rocked being a different character with xans voice

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
UT1 Xan was awesome. Had an amazing voicepack (best in the entire series in my opinion), stood out from all the other characters in the ladder who used the same four human models (with the exception of the Skaarj Hybrids in the bonus packs), and was built up throughout the game as the Tournament's evil overlord through various mentions in character bios and billboards in the maps.
When you finally face him (and I think Hyperblast is the only map in the SP ladder to use the GoDown music), it feels epic and special.

Malcolm? I'll never understand how he became the Unreal posterboy. Talk about generic. They certainly gimped Xan in UT2004 though.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I'm just glad there was plenty of custom content made for this game. The default characters are indeed very generic.

I love the way Xan exploded, though :D Suddenly that head turned into a gigantic eh....bucket or so. Pretty sweet.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
UT1 Xan was awesome. Had an amazing voicepack (best in the entire series in my opinion),

UT3 wins just for the hilarity alone as far as I'm concerned!

Although as far as UT3 custom content goes, the Carmine player from the Gears of War character pack is REALLY hilarious.

Though I still think my mix of System Shock 2 hybrids and Dawn of War Chaos/Space Marines, Orks, Berserkers, etc., Serious Sam, and Cole from GoW make for the best voice experience :p

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Try these:

* Nanoblack, sustain me!
* I shall burn the flesh from your soul.
* Death gives you purpose.
* I am forever.

Ultimate stylishness IMO. Akasha is so smoking hot.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
UT3 taunts ****ing own.

Akasha still remains the only interesting UT boss I've faced. Aside Selket, of course.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Too bad I never played UC2. Perhaps because I refuse to buy an XBox, for no matter which game. What I have to say to Epic for the Championship and GoW2 f**kup is this:

No one will ever force me to buy a console, just by publishing a console-exclusive title. If someone is indeed foolish enough to try this, they will not earn the money they would have earned if they published the game in a crossplatform manner. Their error, their fate. I do not have to play everything, and albeit I feel sad because of this, I absolutely refuse to be forced to buy an XBox just to play UC2, just because Epic was foolish enough to ignore PC players on this. Their idiocy, their price to pay. This will eventually get converted piece by piece (most models and a few maps already are), so PC players will get to play UC2 for free, so Epic WILL pay their toll.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Actually, it would make more sense to port UC2 assets to UT3 instead of UT2004, since UC2 was released after UT2004 and thus isn't covered by it's EULA. UC2004 did get express Epic permission, though.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
I could do without "Nanoblack sustain me," as it tends to be a little long for its purpose, and the UC2 version of "My blood is black" is a lot more interesting.

Jester's still my favorite, though, like the evolution of the Fem1 voicepack from UT1.

If they bring back Xan as an interesting character again (ie: ditch the capture/reprogrammed story from 2k4) and keep going with the Ghost in the Shell stuff they've got going, where we're not sure if/to what extent he's still human, he could be fun.

I'd almost like to see him in an Alpha 152 / Magician type role, though the rampaging super-creation is probably too played-out.

I'm caught between wanting to do something more interesting with him, and wondering if the simple bad-assedness of, "I'm here to mop the floor with everything, so run, human!" is enough, and anything more complex would ruin what makes him cool, like giving Duke Nukem a moralistic side-plot.

Where it was stated that Xan was a 100% robotic being?

Heavily implied in 2k4 when he led the robot revolution, was captured and reprogrammed. But, then, in UT it's never clear that the robots are 100% artificial, aside from the few that get such status specified.

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
In UT99, he was partially organic definitely. 1. Look at the gibs, 2. He screams with pain. Why implement a nerve system to a machine, it would only make it vulnerable? He is a cyborg, obviously, the nerve system is there because it wasn't totally removed.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
In UT99, he was partially organic definitely. 1. Look at the gibs, 2. He screams with pain. Why implement a nerve system to a machine, it would only make it vulnerable? He is a cyborg, obviously, the nerve system is there because it wasn't totally removed.
It's a video game, guys. Called UNREAL Tournament. And the robots in UT3 grunt when they take hits, too :p

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I tend to agree with Delacroix as a Liandri Archivist. Although that could have been laziness on the dev's side - all gibs are organic, making new ones + decals for a single model doesn't make that much sense. And screaming can be easily text-to-speeched in a future that distant, if not simply recorded.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Well, laziness is War Machines not being of Robot Class, but perhaps they are cyborgs with less machinery in them than Xan.