What U2XMP was initially planned to be...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
And Unreal2(without XMP) doesn't have wall dodging anyway and no jetpack(although the class exists still). Also there is that unused grappling hook that works, although you can get easily stuck with it using the grapple and ungrapple commands and sometimes the beam appears invisible(you have to turn around to see it again etc). It was meant to be used in the asteroid map(what eventually turned to be freefall, although original asteroid map was different).

Althpough U2(as XMP) has matnling and something special which XMP doesn't have and that is prone, prone doesn't work in XMP, it works in U2 when you press duck and then jump together.....kinda complicated but it works.

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
People who like strategy games generally can't cope with double-jumping in FPSes, never mind XMP's sprint-dodge-boost-walldodge-boost hax :p

And that is what I said exactly, when XMP players started disappearing.

I also said that XMP players are an elite group. We are both skilled at FPS actions and at the same time strategic. The best XMP players can shoot their way in and out of heavily defended bases and drive a harby through tricky mountain ranges, and at the same time know exactly when to hack generators or which deploy point will inject your teamates into the best positions.

The downside is of course that not everyone can handle all of that, like gecko said. Most XMP playes are pretty good at everything, and the rest of the world simply can't keep up with us. That is one of the reasons why XMP became niche.

Coming back to this "early concept", I think it might be a bit more strategic than action oriented ("too complicated"), compared to the released XMP that is a balance of both.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
And Unreal2(without XMP) doesn't have wall dodging anyway and no jetpack(although the class exists still).

Althpough U2(as XMP) has matnling and something special which XMP doesn't have and that is prone, prone doesn't work in XMP, it works in U2 when you press duck and then jump together.....kinda complicated but it works.

Yeap, like I've said, Jet Packs could be replicated as well. And as there are none of those initially, force walls are way more useful. And yes, prone is really nice. But you have to be careful not to drop down from a high distance in that position or it will hurt... A lot...

Coming back to this "early concept", I think it might be a bit more strategic than action oriented ("too complicated"), compared to the released XMP that is a balance of both.

But like you've said, that would make XMP strategic rather than action - and that means that you no longer have to master both to win. And that's easier :) And also, how often do you see strategy in FPS games? :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
And that is what I said exactly, when XMP players started disappearing.

I also said that XMP players are an elite group. We are both skilled at FPS actions and at the same time strategic. The best XMP players can shoot their way in and out of heavily defended bases and drive a harby through tricky mountain ranges, and at the same time know exactly when to hack generators or which deploy point will inject your teamates into the best positions.

The downside is of course that not everyone can handle all of that, like gecko said. Most XMP playes are pretty good at everything, and the rest of the world simply can't keep up with us. That is one of the reasons why XMP became niche.

Actually about the action oriented thing is a doubt for me....because original U2 deathmatch is more faster paced and weapons are more effective..........same applies for this XMP....at the current U2XMP there is this stronger weapon balance, as AR has more spread shots and is not so accurate as it originally was, sniperrifle has 3 rounds clip, etc....so it is really a doubt whether it would be more or less action paced.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Actually about the action oriented thing is a doubt for me....because original U2 deathmatch is more faster paced and weapons are more effective..........same applies for this XMP....at the current U2XMP there is this stronger weapon balance, as AR has more spread shots and is not so accurate as it originally was, sniperrifle has 3 rounds clip, etc....so it is really a doubt whether it would be more or less action paced.

Actually that depends on LDs. If they make it as RGB, then it will surely be mainly action. If they make it as big as AS-RobotFactory, then it will probably be more strategy-oriented.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I think it rather depends on LSDs...............

:lol:
(which you have taken, so then the action seems more different to you)

.......jk

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I've had some time to dig into old U2αXMP code and here's what I came up with:

1) You can plant up to 8 Energy Relays near on Generator, but energy will be split equally between all relays. So you can plant a Relay in a hidden spot somewhere and it will eat energy, while your enemies only see their own Relay and think that the power is only theirs.
2) The Replicator can only be controlled by a single person called the Commander. Commander can also pick up all the items, it doesn't matter what class he is. I'm not sure how the game decides which one of the players is a Commander though.
3) Artifacts can initially be either kept in bases (just like in U2XMP) or hidden in the landscape (like in Unreal II), or a mix of these two.
4) It seems that Artifacts tend to wear off after some time. Not sure when though. I think that after some time they expire, and are returned to the base, where after some more time they can be picked up again. Picking up an Artifact is risky though rewarding, as you get special abilities which you can use to get more Artifacts, yet you can lose it more easily.
5) Items can respawn and can be non-respawning. It's up to LD to decide.
6) The system is made especially for huge powerful bases as in Rampant. In one room you have a Replicator, the other is a Storage room where you get supplies, and another room is where you keep your Artifacts.

DeusIX

Engineer
Mar 22, 2009
Winland
Sounds nice. I'm all for complexity, but complex game types do need a lot of ppl of good bot support.

I especially like the R&D concept. kinda like c&c renegade ;)

Mar 6, 2004
Would be pretty nice if XMP was as populated as CSS, or COD4, and the modder team was like oblivion. Not to mention a dedicated team of highly skilled top notch coders who could and made bots for XMP. Maybe a skill based system...1-10 or 1-100. Of course 1 will be the easiest, and 10, or 100 would be impossible. Then this game ran at places like CAL, and CEVO, or LANS where the pro's play. Not to mention ALOT more maps, and gametypes. The sky is the limit with XMP. The bots would be as good as actual players...have their own path. Playing against the best bots would even improve your game as much as human players. They also dodge, and walljump, play D, play O, manage energy. You will have to always be hacking, because they will have several bots dedicated to it, that would be their job as an AI.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Continuing my quest for digging out information about U2αXMP... I've contacted one of the Unreal II developers directly (no names for privacy), and here's what I learned about it: it seems that the whole XMP that we have now is a victim of the Unreal II curse, that is, Lack of Time. This XMP I've described here was originally planned to be the real XMP, but as the game shipped too early to implement it, it didn't get out of early development, and the XMP we now have was scaled down from the ambitious project that it was initially to a rather small one that a team could complete in a few months. So basically the whole U2XMP is like XMP-Sirocco, was intended to be in U2, was never finished due to deadlines, quickly remade after the deadline but not to the originally planned glory. So it would be great to see how the actual U2αXMP would play...

Another interesting fact is that XMP was meant to have "a new single-player part (which was cut)". I'm not entirely sure what he meant, but I suspect that it should be a linking story between U2 and XMP.

And finally, a little more info that you might not have heard already can be found here:
http://unreal2.xsa1.com/about_2.html
The interesting part is the "recon and repair robots", which I'm not sure what they were meant to be, but I guess that's what the Target Drones are in U2 for. Yet the code only says "Camera" and "Security Bot".

DJM312

Beta tester
Oct 3, 2003
Bristol,Ct.
Visit site
As an original U2XMP Beta player , this game was a blast 20+ players the matches lasted for hours. So many clans and matches , even gaming against the devs . This game was awesome in its day . Such great memories !

Bleeder

Co-Founder, U2XMP [Ч] Clan
Feb 26, 2004
teh Intarweb, duh
Agreed, although the key word you mention is *was*. XMP as we know it today is very different from the betas. Heck, at the current patch level, it's very different from the original public release. The patches altered the gameplay considerably.

For example, one thing that seriously changed the gameplay (and length of matches) was displaying artifact carriers on the miniradar after a short period of time. The changelog for the patches hint that this was done because of artifact "campers", but somehow the patch evolved into showing actively moving artifact carriers, not just artifact campers.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I recently realised that it's possible that artifacts were never supposed to give carriers any powers. Since you can see artifact names on the node, it's highly likely that they were supposed to give the powers to the whole team, and that's why people are competing for the artifacts in the first place! If you have all four artifacts, you can blast any resistance off easily.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
I've had some time to dig into old U2αXMP code....

Meantime i already enabled hidden menu in U2. Now i can use coustom game, mutator - all standart options is active. I fund documentation about how first XMP should loocks like. Base script is almost ready, hard part is AI - is different. Well, i say: BRING THIS STUFF TO LIVE!

Ps: many years ago i implemented AI in to U2XMP, not fully operate but already i've playd offline mach and i dont understand why somone do not made this modification. It's easy to do... U2XMP is compatibile with UT2k4.

Last edited:

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
Ps: many years ago i implemented AI in to U2XMP, not fully operate but already i've playd offline mach and i dont understand why somone do not made this modification. It's easy to do... U2XMP is compatibile with UT2k4.

Really? Are you sure? I had much hard time trying to port any AI I could find from U2 and UT2k3... I don't remember if I tried UT2K4 tho, but I thought I did...

I thought XMP was missing a lot of system objects or functions called by the AI so when I tried to compile any AI classes in XMP I got tons of unknown references.

Plus XMP weapon system is different from any UT, right? So your bot cannot use (or even get) any XMP weapons?

I had some success migrating parts of the AI states into a new player subclass though, so I had a very confused "player bot" walking around doing nothing, as if it was blind and didn't know how to shoot a gun :lol:

I would love to see how you did this. If I could use any AI I could at least base a new game on XMP.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Give me a litle time... Forst i must fund it...
Most of peaple here complain about that, but simple Bot is not complete AI. For TeamGames he needs SquadAI, TeamAI... bunch of code.

Ps: egsist thirdparty tool to implement AI in Unreal engine, some info you can find here.

Update - read this.

Last edited: