What key config do you play with?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What is your config layout?

• WADS

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • FEDS

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Arrow Keys

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 21 26.3%

• Total voters

Harlock

Married And Always Nagged
Dec 11, 1999
Riverside, CA (USA)
maanclan.com
I used to play with the Keypad when I first started playing online gaming way back when. After that I moved to WASD. About a year ago I switched to ESDF. I prefer to play with a ESDF set up now. My fingers naturally fall on those keys from all the years of typing in forums and on irc. The shifting of my fingers began to bug me. Plus I love the extra keys it opens up on the left side of my hand.

Just curiuos what other's play with. I know a few guys that play with game controller + mouse combination. I don't know how the hell they do that, lol. Then one bud of mine, Dagger, uses a combination of keyboard, mouse, gamepad.

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I use RDFG; having the braille dot on the 'F' key makes it easy to relocate my hand when I use a key that isn't anywhere near.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Taleweaver said:
I use RDFG; having the braille dot on the 'F' key makes it easy to relocate my hand when I use a key that isn't anywhere near.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's not a braille dot dude!!! "F" and "J" have them for correct typing positions. :D

SmuvMoney

Mar 24, 2004
Chicago, IL
I actually use a joystick and trackball combination. The joystick is able to emulate keyboard presses do I don't have to use the (somwhat buggy/incomplete IMHO) joystick implementation within UT2004. I guess I had to choose Other. :)

SmuvMoney

Mar 24, 2004
Chicago, IL
vläd said:
I picked up a Nostromo n52 and love it! So I guess I use the "other" config. Along with a Kensington Trackball.

Which Kensignton trackball? I use the new Expert Mouse 7.0, the gray and black one.

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
Taleweaver said:

same here, RDFG. increases the number of keys my pinky can access. The downside is that my thumb is limited only to the spacebar. (as opposed to using the arrow keys)

DDRRE

Flesh is a design flaw.
Feb 13, 2004
Israel
I use WADS for movement and the Shift key for jumping. The "Use" action is activated with my Intellimouse, as shown below:
ut2k4mouse.jpg

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
heh i believe the correct terminology is "WASD" not WADS ^_^

i use wasd..
i like that mouse... how much was it?

Shayla Shayla

Officially General Hein's best friend!
Sep 24, 2001
Bristol, England
www.angelfire.com
I have that mouse, woohoo!!!

But yeah I use mouse and control pad to play. When I first got Unreal I played with control pad, so i'm used to that. I'm impressed that all you people can use keyboard lol. I find it really difficult to move around and dodge well with the keyboard. :(

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
I've never considered a ESDF setup, but I tihk I'll try that. I too have the Nostromo n52, I liked it, but it had some issues. It isgreat though. A very comfortable device.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I use the Nostromo n52 also. I love it. I have a Logitech mx510 Gaming Mouse and a Logitech iFeel mouse sitting there too.