What is teh price of Unreal Runtime?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Aramis

Aug 15, 2004
Hello,
I am a newbie and i have a question:
What is the price of unreal runtime?

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
According to Jay Wilbur,

Qty. Per Unit Price
1 $7999
2-3 $7499
4-6 $6999
7-9 $6499
10+ $5999

Note:May change without notice!

No Games
The License to distribute Commercial Product based on Unreal Engine 2:
Runtime - Registered Version specifically disallows the development or
sale of game or entertainment products.

License Limitations
No Product for Individual Sale (Retail or Online) The License to
distribute Commercial Product based on Unreal Engine 2: Runtime -
Registered Version specifically disallows the sale of individual product
at retail, on-line or by any other means. That means you cannot develop
an application and sell it (or license it for sale) on-line, at retail,
etc. on an individual basis.

License to Distribute Commercial Product Most importantly Unreal Engine
2: Runtime - Registered Version comes with a license to distribute
commercial product based off Unreal Engine 2: Runtime - Registered
Version. This will allow vendors to service clients with a variety of
applications including 3D renderings, architectural walk-troughs and
Training Simulations.

Server License
Unreal Engine 2: Runtime - Registered Version comes with the license to
run an online server in case your application requires on-line,
multi-user connectivity.

Unlimited Client Distribution
Unreal Engine 2: Runtime - Registered Version allows you to distribute
an unlimited number of Unreal Engine 2: Runtime client to allow others
to view/use your application.

Support Services
* Access to the private Unreal Engine 2 Runtime Registered Version
mailing lists.
* Access to a Runtime IRC channel also populated by the runtime support
staff.
* Access to private content on Unreal Developer Network.

[You get alot more! And this is for commercial.....[/b]

Stringer

Aug 26, 2004
I was wondering from a games perspective

I know it is forbidden to make games with the runtime engine

But, it is after all quite expensive for the 'full' Unreal Engine (non - runtime version), what are the implications of a group of people getting together and using the runtime to create a games concept, and then approach the UNREAL Engine Publishers with this concept, in the hope that possible funding may take place based on the concept to essentially purchase the 'Full' Engine licence to 'complete' the 'concept' game ?

I have some game ideas (as does everyone), 1 of which I think is particularly strong and I'd like to develop it further, the Unreal Engine runtime is an ideal platform for me to showcase the 'idea' and 'look' of the game, and would only be meant as that, i.e. no profit would be made, I would only want to use the runtime to gain funding to licence the 'Full' Unreal Engine, to move my concept into completion, I'd appreciate any advice from the Epic folks here.

I'm also curious, assuming I utilised the runtime and made a few levels for my 'concept' game, is it much work to convert the runtime format to full engine compatibility, as it would be a shame to lose any previous work ?

Thanks for any input.

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Err, well, the Runtime is basically what you get if you get a license - you get basically what you get with the runtime, plus the C++ source code for the runtime, plus Epic's legal blessing what with the not suing and all.

So there would be no porting required.

You are not allowed to distribute via any means a game made with the Runtime. Technically that doesn't really prevent you from making one for private evaluation by the publisher.

However, one thing worth noting is; Unreal Engine games mostly have very similar engines, and differ mostly in content, level design, and of course the UnrealScript of the game. So, you can make a mod for UT2004, and relatively painlessly convert it to a "full game" on the Unreal Engine Runtime because the engines are mostly the same. This is the route that Epic recommends. (but they make the Runtime binaries available for free because publishers are much more likely to consider using an engine they can try for free than one they have to pay for to just experiment with.) The only thing to look out for is that different Unreal Engine games have some features implemented by Licensees, for instance, in UT2004 the PokeTerrain function and xEmitters were made by the licensee, Digital Extremes.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I thought PokeTerrain was an Epic function.

Regardless, you're right. The Runtime is not allowed for PUBLIC distribution. If you only want to show your product to a select group of people (publisher, developer, Epic) then, iirc, there is no stipulation in the license agreement to restrict that. If you did release it publicly, however, you would more than likely be sued.

Stringer

Aug 26, 2004
Ok, thanks for the replies.

I was under the impression the 'runtime' version I downloaded is a 'cut-down' version, and that it was a different file format to the normal engine, i.e. examples downloaded for runtime and full version are different, Runtime are *.urt exctensions, whereas full versions are *.unr extension.

Sorry, I don't have much experience with the engine, if I go the 'MOD the UT2004' route, how much can I change, can I even change the title screens, etc ?

BinarySystem

Banned
Jun 10, 2004
Stringer said:
Ok, thanks for the replies.

I was under the impression the 'runtime' version I downloaded is a 'cut-down' version, and that it was a different file format to the normal engine, i.e. examples downloaded for runtime and full version are different, Runtime are *.urt exctensions, whereas full versions are *.unr extension.

Sorry, I don't have much experience with the engine, if I go the 'MOD the UT2004' route, how much can I change, can I even change the title screens, etc ?

The extension is by convention only - all unreal packages are actually the same format, so the extensions are just used for organizational purposes.

Mayaboy

Mayaboy
May 30, 2004
www.mesoamerican-archives.com
What about fully educational content? I'm creating a map (not even a full game) with Unreal2Runtime. This is part of my Ph.D. dissertation on Maya archaeology. I've begun to map out a section of the archaeological site I work at. The point is to allow full 3d walkthroughs, rather than the more traditional static reconstructions.

Could I make a website that provides users with the link to download runtime, and a link to download my map? That sounds legit to me, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. What about throwing the runtime installer and my map on a cd for free distribution to interested academics?

-Mayaboy

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
Mayaboy said:
What about fully educational content? I'm creating a map (not even a full game) with Unreal2Runtime. This is part of my Ph.D. dissertation on Maya archaeology. I've begun to map out a section of the archaeological site I work at. The point is to allow full 3d walkthroughs, rather than the more traditional static reconstructions.

Could I make a website that provides users with the link to download runtime, and a link to download my map? That sounds legit to me, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. What about throwing the runtime installer and my map on a cd for free distribution to interested academics?

-Mayaboy

Checkout the demo non-commercial license here........

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/runtime/eula.shtml

Mayaboy

Mayaboy
May 30, 2004
Yes, I've read the EULA. The only pertaining statement is:

"You may, however, use the Runtime Software for non-commercial and educational purposes"

So, I guess the short answer is, no problem. Right?

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
Mayaboy said:
Yes, I've read the EULA. The only pertaining statement is:

"You may, however, use the Runtime Software for non-commercial and educational purposes"

So, I guess the short answer is, no problem. Right?

If that's the case your fine.....but if your caught using it for commercial purposes like advertising a known fictous name on the educational said product then your putting yourself in trouble.....

Mayaboy

Mayaboy
May 30, 2004
Thanks. Now, please don't take offense, but... I have no idea what "...like advertising a known fictous name on the educational said product" means. Do you mean "ficticious"? Why would anyone advertise a known ficticious name? Sorry, just don't get it.

But since this sentence included the word "advertising", I can assure you that my map is purely educational and would never include any advertising, and no one would make a cent (and it wouldn't be in any way fun enough to be called a game - just a reconstructed ancient Maya neighborhood). I just want to show all my old-fart archaeology profs that this new technology can be a very powerful educational tool. Believe it or not, archaeologists aren't in it for the treasure.

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
Mayaboy said:
Thanks. Now, please don't take offense, but... I have no idea what "...like advertising a known fictous name on the educational said product" means. Do you mean "ficticious"? Why would anyone advertise a known ficticious name? Sorry, just don't get it.

Yes, "ficticious" that is........it's common practice where non-commercial software are used with hidden commercial advertisement

But since this sentence included the word "advertising", I can assure you that my map is purely educational and would never include any advertising, and no one would make a cent (and it wouldn't be in any way fun enough to be called a game - just a reconstructed ancient Maya neighborhood).

Hey, you have it for download somewhere? I wanna check it out......the Maya ruins is facinating ......it has been said that it has a connection to Extraterrestrial Life....

I just want to show all my old-fart archaeology profs that this new technology can be a very powerful educational tool. Believe it or not, archaeologists aren't in it for the treasure.

If you get a chance please provide a guide how you designed the city.....what too ls you used and so on

Mayaboy

Mayaboy
May 30, 2004
It'll be many months still, before I can get it together for sharing. I plan on finishing it in the evenings during my next field season (too busy writing now). Living in a remote village in Mexico with no TV or radio leads to great productivity on my Unreal maps.

UnrealProjects

"Your Hired!"
Apr 10, 2004
www.lawdogs-mod.com
Mayaboy said:
It'll be many months still, before I can get it together for sharing. I plan on finishing it in the evenings during my next field season (too busy writing now). Living in a remote village in Mexico with no TV or radio leads to great productivity on my Unreal maps.

Mayaboy, hablas espanol? Como estas? Platicame como te gusta estar en Mexico......preparas tu comida solo?......
:)