Wanna start uscripting......

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JJD2207

Oct 16, 2003
Hello, I've been looking at so many tutorials and I've tried a few and got them to work but thats from copying and pasting code. I want to be able to actually code, not just copy paste, but there seems to be so many different key terms and functions and everything. I have had former experience with PASCAL, C++ (Input/Output & Loops; never got to classes), and BASIC. I was wondering what the best way to learn this scripting language is with just this knowledge and if its possible. Maybe someone has a quick story of how they got started with uscript or something to help me out because I really wanna get into the modding world as a coder and I think this is a good place to start. Thanks for any help ahead of time.

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Well, lots of people will tell you to learn a bit of java to get a handle on the OOP... but thats crap! I started coding with only a minimalistic Virtual Basic knowledge (By minimalistic i mean i took a class in Highschool. We werent allowed to think outside of the box. "Programming: As Dictated By Teacher", so to say) it took me a while and a whole bunch of frustration, but ive gotten a halfway decent grasp on how it all works... and it only took like 2 years! :p
To be honest, anyone can learn it. Its easy, to a point. But the real important part is patience (as always :p) The OO is kinda hard to get a grasp on at first, but once you get the hang of what it means and how it works its much much easier. If youre willing to start from ground one (and your bandwidth permits) id suggest heading to Mastering Unreal and signing up for the UnrealScript 101 class. It takes you through the basic principles and whatnots and gets you learning by introducing you to the more 'fun' aspects: Pickups, Weapons, and mutators. Plus theres a somewhat active forum there with lots of other people who're "just starting" (or like me, who mostly just want to answer questions like a nice guy :) ) Plus, its free :) There are a few forums across the internet that have UScript coding sections, but the best ones youll find (IMO, of course ;) ) is the main coding forum here at BuF (though sometimes the vets can get a bit frustrated) and the ones at MasteringUnreal. And of course, there are always people who are more than willing to help someones figure out a problem (such as myself! WEEEEEE!!!) so ... im rambling...
be patient and dont give up. Feel free to ask any questions youve got, there are a few pretty talented coder types here who can answer nearly any question youd want to ask :)

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I basically went into UEd and started messing with the code. I came to the old WoD forums and asked some doofusy questions. I read a few simple tutorials. Lots of observing, modifying, and testing code, and lots of questions. And then lots of guns. :D Yum.