Voodoo2 vs. TNT2.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SSSHAD

Dec 8, 1999
Sydney, NSW, Austr.
Could be that we had such poll before, but i'll ask again anyway:
I can upgrade my system now to CreativeLabs TNT2 32Mb vertuallly for free, but i'm not sure that should do so - now i've got CreativeLabs Voodoo2 Blaster 16MB/i740 8Mb combo and can play all games w/ good framerate<not Ultima 9, though>. I saw that TNT2 chipsets tend to have plenty of problems with games(unpatched UT), while my system is fairy stable. I don't have lot of time to think, so if anybody can give any idea on the issue that will be cool.
P.S.: My system:
P2 266(overclocked to 400)
64 RAM
Creative Voodoo2 16Mb/ i740 8Mb
Thanks in advance /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
As I see it your options are:

Voodoo3-2000: Cheap and good performance. Games must support Glide API.
(or MiniGL)

Voodoo3-3000: A lttle more costly than the V3-2k, and performance is slightly better. Games must support Glide API.
(or MiniGL)

TNT2-Ultra: Far more costly than a V3 and about the same performance. 32bit color for games that support it. (Q3)

Geforce256: Costly!,Performance slightly better than a TNT2-Ultra. I haven't heard people raving about this card, so I think it's probably not all that good.
No Glide support (yet). OpenGL and D3D support.

Voodoo4-****: Doesn't exsist yet(late winter/early spring maybe). Will be costly at first. Glide only?

bullet2.gif

"There is no point in tip-toeing through life to get safely to death."
"Whom ever sacrifices freedom for security get's nor deserves either."

-Lizard Of Oz -aka- {PuF}Lizard- nguid = 108675

[This message has been edited by Lizard Of Oz (edited 12-24-1999).]

wiz4ha

Jul 7, 2000
ok. heres some helpful advise. now get rid of that 8mb i740. your voodo2 can run in sli, so if you want a good combo, you could get a tnt2 or tnt2 ultra and get mega preformance. but it would have to be a PCI based card remember. ok. other options include a voodoo3 2000 and 3000. the 3000 is way better than the 2000 for preformance, but costs more (BTW i have a voodoo3 3000 on a p2/233 and it is awsome and you do notice a difference). avoid the 3500, it's not good for games. you also have the options of a tnt2 or tnt2 ultra. my uncle has a Viper 770 ultra (or something like that) and he likes, but he can't run glide based games. thats why i picked v3. a Matrox G400 is another substitute. a great card for direct3d, but not for opengl. in the spring 3dfx releases the voodoo4 4000 and 4500. in the summer comes the voodoo5 5000 and 6000. all voodoo cards run all API's (glide, d3d, and opengl). tnt based cards only run 2 API's (opengl and d3d) and G400 run 2 API's (opengl and d3d).

it's a matter of choice i guess for what games you run. if you don't want to wait and want a killer combo i sugest the voodoo2/tnt2 ultra combo. if you need a new brand spanking new card right now to run glide based games fast, get a voodoo3 3000. if you don't run glide based games, then a tnt2 or tnt2 ultra is the choice. if you can wait, the wait for a voodoo4 or voodoo5.

the voodoo4 and 5 will be able to run in all api's (d3d, glide and opengl) remember. 3dfx made the api glide, so no other card on the market will run glide, only a voodoo based card.

i'd stick with your cards now and wait for a voodoo5 6000 to come out, or get a combo of you v2 with a tnt2 ultra, or get a voodoo3 3000. *note* the bold shows what i would choose if i were you. this is your best choice for the best gaming.

bullet2.gif

WiZ
Smiley Games

SSSHAD

Dec 8, 1999
Sydney, NSW, Austr.
Well, i was almost absolutely determined to get TNT2, but now i have to think it all over again. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Thank you for the advises /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif