UE1 - UT Volumetric Lighting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
I have heard that most players have volumetric lighting set to false by default, making them unable to see fog unless they change their driver settings manually. My map consists of two bases facing opposite eachother from a distance and I want to make the entire outside a fog zone so you can't see the enemy base unless you actually get close to it, however players who can't see the fog would have a serious advantage over players who can.

Is there a way to hardcode straight into the map a line of code that changes the player's volumetric lighting settings during play on that map?

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Volumetric Lightning is ON by default. It would be a really bad idea to force that on clients and a bad hack that will make them never play your map again once they figure it out. Besides, they have it off for a good reason. Plus, clientside options should not be hacked that way and should be respected.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Volumetric Lightning is ON by default. It would be a really bad idea to force that on clients and a bad hack that will make them never play your map again once they figure it out. Besides, they have it off for a good reason. Plus, clientside options should not be hacked that way and should be respected.

"Never play my map again" because there's fog in it? That's totally ridiculous, but I really don't care about your personal opinion as to whether or not I should do it, I came here seeking actual information not a holier-than-thou attitude, thanks.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
No, "never play again" because it messes up their settings.
Client settings are sacred. Don't touch them unless you have the client's permission or very very good reasons. Fog does not belong in that category.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
I do not agree with you that "client settings are sacred", now can we end the thread hijacking please?

Is there anyone who is willing to answer the actual question I asked?

Apr 11, 2006
Volumetric lighting can absolutely destroy a client's FPS, so really... If they have it off, you really shouldn't be messing with their settings to turn it on.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
"Never play my map again" because there's fog in it? That's totally ridiculous, but I really don't care about your personal opinion as to whether or not I should do it, I came here seeking actual information not a holier-than-thou attitude, thanks.

However harmless the setting might seem, it can cause the game to become sluggish on some machines when there is a certain amount of fog in the view. The assumption to avoid here is to think that everyone is using the standard graphical settings. Wormbo's snippet will do the trick once but I imagine a set command could get round it while inside the game.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
I do not agree with you that "client settings are sacred", now can we end the thread hijacking please?

Is there anyone who is willing to answer the actual question I asked?
Wow, you're really being a dick, you know that? Not only are you being extremely disrespectful to the people who can answer your question, but you're also disrespecting your own players by forcing some setting on their end just because your design aims call for it. Not only that, but do you realize that the setting you're messing with is by far one of the most night-and-day performance-changing switches you can flip? Fog in UE1 is incredibly unoptimized and drains performance like crazy. Turning fog on or off can make the difference between a playable map and a slideshow for some systems, even modern ones, especially if the fog is abused by the level designer. And give how little care you are actually putting into how you handle this situation, I have a hard time believing you even know how to use fog worth a damn.

Mind telling us what map you're working on so we can know not to ever play it?

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Wow, you're really being a dick, you know that? Not only are you being extremely disrespectful to the people who can answer your question, but you're also disrespecting your own players by forcing some setting on their end just because your design aims call for it. Not only that, but do you realize that the setting you're messing with is by far one of the most night-and-day performance-changing switches you can flip? Fog in UE1 is incredibly unoptimized and drains performance like crazy. Turning fog on or off can make the difference between a playable map and a slideshow for some systems, even modern ones, especially if the fog is abused by the level designer. And give how little care you are actually putting into how you handle this situation, I have a hard time believing you even know how to use fog worth a damn.

Mind telling us what map you're working on so we can know not to ever play it?

ROFL did you really dig a clearly resolved thread off the second page just so you could be an asshole? Seriously, get a life.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
It wasn't on the second page, and I'm trying to actually help you by showing you why you're making very bad decisions. If you are totally unwilling to heed others' advice, well, that's your deal, not mine.

But my point was that if you actively disregard your players' and your fellow designers'/creators' respect, you're never going to be successful in this field. You need to be able to take constructive (the first post you received was pretty constructive as far as I'm concerned) criticism with dignity instead of lashing out at people. Everyone who was telling you NOT to do what you're doing was trying to give you a hand, here, and you just outright refused to even consider that. Had you been more receptive, you might have found someone to suggest a better workaround.

Maybe next time? Maybe not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.