Video Interview: Eplaination of the game's name

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lopar-XL

Currently trying to mend my mind, etc.
Jul 8, 2005
USA
profile.imageshack.us
As far as we know, Epic is probably miles away from anything approaching a beta or demo release. A few days ago on March 1st at the Midway press event we recieved an "update" of sorts on UT2007's progress. Judging from the articles about this event, especially Mark Rein saying that what was shown was still in the very early stages, there should be a huge amount of work that needs to be done on the game. E3 is coming up soon. Knowing this, do you think Epic will have much to show about this game? Their still kicking around ideas for the game types. Notice that at the end of the video Jeff Morris says that there is no release date, that the game may not even be out this year, or next. It could be changed to Unreal Tournament 2008.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah no official release date :( Mind you the game might be further along that what we are being led to believe but it still wont be around anytime soon, Im still guessin Jan/Feb 2007. Also they have to polish the sdk somewhat I imagine so they can release it to us n00b modders :lol:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
It could be UT2k9 for all I care, as long as that time is spent making it a better game.
Edit: to correct myself, I'm not gonna say more time spent=better game, but I'd rather have a late release date with something polished and proper than the all-too-common rushed thing.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Lopar-XL said:
Notice that at the end of the video Jeff Morris says that there is no release date, that the game may not even be out this year, or next. It could be changed to Unreal Tournament 2008.

Well, that's not exactly what he said. He said:

"We're very much a 'when it's done' company so there's no release date that I can necessarily say. The date on the box, I guess... it's safe to say we won't come out in 2008 after all that other stuff I was saying about the branding. But that's probably as close as it can get. Even then, we may just... you know, if it takes that long then we'll change the title. So there's no real release date for it right now"

Vault

May 29, 2005
he said it gamespot's interveiw that the game is still in pre-alpha

but might be playable at E3

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
Well, if it doesn't make it out by the end of Q2 2007, they should definitely change then name to 08. I still think they need to dump the Year-naming convention anyway. I know they're working toward that Madden-Sports style theme, but it also dates the hell out of the game once the year is passed.

Overall, my biggest concern is that they have spent ALL this time...and as we get more and more info, the scale of the game keeps getting smaller (with each tidbit of info it's less features/change and more a rehash of 04) and the projected release is hinted at being farther and farther in the future. I'd hate to get UT2008 and have it be a complete remake of 04 with different graphics and more grounded physics.

My biggest wish for this game is to fix Onslaught...and I think a major overhaul is needed to fix the balance issue in the game. What ultimately kills it competitively and pub-wise is the same old thing we've been talking about for two years, once one side goes up quick, comebacks are damned near impossible in most maps due to the nature of the game--this is the main reason you see players drop from losing teams on pubs so much. At least in CTF once there's a cap, everything (except player positions) are reset from scratch and it's a fresh start again.

Maybe the approach should be that once the the link is established to one core, the offensive team with the link has X number of seconds to begin dealing the core damage or all the linked nodes revert back to nuetral again. Think of the wild swings in momentum that could cause if your team is too spread thin or weak to start dealing damage in so much time and suddenly you've lost all your nodes while the opposition may have half to an almost full link established. Suddenly, all those turrets at cores come in to play and there is a reason to actually defend the core. ONS as it stands now is game where there's very little if any reason defend your base.
I think this solution could change Onslaught from being a game where one team takes most of the map in the first 120 seconds followed by 20 minutes of the entire down team defending their last node into a game where both teams have opportunity to multiple offensive stands.

Right now we've got a game where the best maps competitively are the one node-core maps (prime/frost)...and unfortunately those are also the most claustrophopic and spammy...and I LOVE spam, but I like a balance, too.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
hal said:
Um... it IS free.
It said I had to be a member so I signed up and clicked on the dl link and it took me to a paid subscription area.

Edit: Got it. Was clicking the wrong dl link.

Did any of you watch the "G4TV's Interview" too? The Raptor is going to be soo sweet with the wings animated like they are. I hope the other vehicles get more complex animations like that as well.

The chick interviewing him seemed like a poser though, lol :p.

Last edited: