video format conversion?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AizenSA

The Divine Tyrant
Dec 8, 2005
Geonosis
www.myspace.com
does any one know of a program to convert a video format. Ex. change a .avi to a mpeg?

And also does anyone know of a application that can record video in real time like fraps. (but doesnt take up as much space as fraps after your done recording?)

AizenSA

The Divine Tyrant
Dec 8, 2005
Geonosis
www.myspace.com
that must have just been put up there, becuase it showed when I was trying to upload a vid it said it had no suggestion on a converter. hmmm strange. You dont happen to know if there is a video recorder to use in games thats better than fraps do you?

oh nice car btw it looks awesome.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Frap is fine for me, it's not the trial version so i have no problem with the size.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
What's wrong with fraps? There is really no way to get around the size of the vids unless you want them to be compressed WHILE playing, which would kill your framerates. Use something like virtual dub (iirc) to compress them afterwards w/ divx codec or whatever.

AizenSA

The Divine Tyrant
Dec 8, 2005
Geonosis
www.myspace.com
there's nothing wrong with fraps. I dont have the trail version either. The thing is it save the files in avi and the biggest legnth was 9min and something and ended up being freaking 3.96GB and thats on the lowest settings. 15fps, half size screen, had to have sound. How am I suppose to host a 3.96GB file? That dude on the main BuF site that had the frag vid, his was a 10min vid and was under 300MB thats freaking sucks I want mine like that becuase I got to put them on my clans website.

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
You don't seem to get it. Fraps records a video. Video compression takes a lot of CPU power. Playing a game, recording a video and compressing it, all at the same time, dosn't work very well. Just take the 4GB file and compress it with a good codec before you upload it somewehere.

AizenSA

The Divine Tyrant
Dec 8, 2005
Geonosis
www.myspace.com
i didnt know fraps had a commpressor? Any way I just got WinAviVideo converter yesterday, and it seems to work but the bad thing about it, it makes the converted file darker that the original starting file. Anybody knows why this is besides the conversion jacking it up a bit?